BJSS Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

BJSS Interview Questions

Updated 9 Sep 2018

3.1

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BJSS (New York, NY (US)) in October 2017.

Interview

First a brief phone call with one or two technical questions, one of which was asking whether I knew what the keyword "finally" did in java, to give you an idea. Then an in-person technical, which asked sql design and query questions as well as a few linked list questions. Finally, an in-person with the CTO and a senior engineer to see if I was a good personality fit.

Interview Questions

• How do you detect a circular linked list?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BJSS.

Interview

I applied to BJSS through a recruiter. The interview questions were all easy, the basic java questions . I had a pen and paper test on these questions. Some where to implement the code while others were to find the output

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BJSS (New York, NY (US)) in January 2018.

Interview

I was given a written test on java, the was asked to describe my role in past projects and was to describe what I implemented. then I was asked to described given certain situational question such what was my most difficult challenge in my work experience and how did I handle it

Interview Questions

• core java OO concepts   1 Answer
    • How does java support inheritance, what is the attributes of Object oriented language, how to implement multi threading in java, what are the major collections interfaces in java   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BJSS (New York, NY (US)) in March 2017.

Interview

Starts with a phone screen and then you come in for a first round interview. You have to take a technical test and then they review your test. Based on that test, they'll ask you technical questions and questions about your resume/past experiences. If you pass this, you'll then meet with two senior management guys, and this can consists of a cultural fit, body language, personality, etc...

Interview Questions

• Draw on a whiteboard the architect of your previous project, at a high level   1 Answer

Programmer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BJSS in March 2014.

Interview

The phone interview is okay. The final interview is a written test of codes where you have to answer or compile on your head to get the answer - like questions on SCJP (dates, threads, inheritance, output of the code etc etc). After which the interviewer will call you and will ask you to explain your answers. There are 10-12 programming questions.

Interview Questions

• The questions on threads is a difficult especially when written in paper and has a time limit.   Answer Question

Project Manager/Scrum Master Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BJSS (New York, NY (US)) in January 2018.

Interview

Went via an agency. After the first interview, they said they filled the position. They call me again and asked for the in-person interview in New york. So, I had to go all the way to New York. My interview went well. Next day I got an e-mail from the agency that they liked me and they want to move to the next steps which is client interview. Also they mentioned that Client manager was away this week and will contact me next week. So, I contacted next week and I was told I would get a response within 48 hours. I had to chase this up 72 hours. So, later the agency told me that they filled the position. So first they told me that they like me and want to move forward then they told me that they filled the position. Very poor interview process.

Sr. Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at BJSS (New York, NY (US)) in January 2015.

Interview

Be prepared for more of an interactive whiteboard session - like a real project planning session. They will give you various project scenarios, and ask you to describe your approach. I actually found it an enjoyable approach. it was different, but good.

Interview Questions

• How would you structure a plan to deploy a latency sensitive application to various global regions: EMEA, APAC, and Americas.   1 Answer

Software Engineer (Java) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BJSS (New York, NY (US)) in June 2016.

Interview

The interview process started with a phone screen and an in-person. It was a pleasant experience, up until I was interviewed by their CTO and senior developer. I first completed a 14 question paper quiz. The second half of the interview is solely based on the answers to the quiz, whether or not the answers are correct.

The interview quickly turned sour. I thought they were conducting a stress-based interview, but then I quickly realized that they just came into the interview with a negative mindset. They were very critical and not good at listening. Their “senior” developer has gaps in very basic core Java knowledge. The question that really showed me his lack of knowledge came from a small snippet of code that printed out (or returned) true/false from the following logic:
    Double d = new Double(x);
    Double d2 = new Double(x);
    if(d == d2) return true;

The condition will not return true, but the developer seemed puzzled and turned to the CTO to confirm if it would return true. In another question about Singleton Pattern, he didn't know double check locking or using enum. These questions, particularly the one shown above was quite telling.

The CTO was also rude during the interview. At one point, he criticized a solution for not having any data structures, even though there was nothing about the problem that needed any type of collection/array. His criticisms were based on the premise that he knows more than you, so expect him (and the developer) to get easily frustrated if you ask to clarify the question.

It's typical to allow interviewees to ask questions at the end, and then give a decision after the interview. Do not expect this at BJSS in NYC. Not only was I not given the chance to ask questions, but the CTO decided on the spot to tell me that “we will not continue moving forward.” He said his decision was based on the quiz, but I strongly doubt that was true. As another reviewer here stated, they were “smug and judgmental.” I agree!

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at BJSS (London, England) in October 2015.

Interview

The interview process has three stages. The first is an online test of questions which determine your knowledge on the different areas related to the language you're applying for. The second is to write an implementation to a project in your own time. Though this is simple in nature it offers lots of scope to be creative and to really show your design prowess. The third stage is an interview to go over the project from stage 2 with a few technical "what if" questions. The latter half of this is to cover a project which you've previously worked on and to go into detail about design decisions and it's implementation.

Interview Questions

• Aside from using a double or a float to store currency, what other alternative could be used?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at BJSS.

Interview

Invited for a face to face technical interview. Interview started with a 1 hour technical test, with 14 java questions to answer, some code writing, others an explanation of the output and/or compile/runtime errors.

Following that two members of the development team go through your test with you, probe your knowledge in any areas that you didn't do well in, and also in areas where you did. A tip would be to make sure you are perfectly OK with describing the underlying mechanics of how recursion works (push/pop instruction stack) and thread safety / mutual exclusion.

It's a reasonably tough test because it is very broad, and any theoretical knowledge underpinning how java works as a language is a bonus, they were the probing questions that tripped me up.

Don't go in there expecting a lively friendly welcome, that wasn't the vibe I got from any of the staff I met.

Interview Questions

• Explain how concurrent updates can be missed in multi threaded programs (using a diagram to show variable assignments/registers)   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.