Balfour Beatty Graduate Civil Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Balfour Beatty Graduate Civil Engineer Interview Questions

3.1

9 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Basingstoke, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Balfour Beatty (Basingstoke, England) in December 2017.

Interview

Assessment centre style, consisting of 1-2-1 interview, group task and individual presentation. There was a friendly atmosphere throughout the day and the employees running the day put the applicants at ease.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to think about doing something differently   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Balfour Beatty

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Balfour Beatty (London, England) in January 2018.

Interview

Assessment Centre details. Consisted of 3 main parts.
    1) Interview - typical interview questions split into 3 parts. First was describing your CV and any experience you have. Basically getting to know you how and you've gotten to where you are. The second part was competency questions. so have a few examples prepared to describe different things they may ask of you. They asked me things like when was a time you were in a leadership role and succeeded in getting a task done. Or when was a time you had a dilemma? When have you done something wrong and what did you do to rectify this. When was a time you had to give a solution to a problem that turned successful? After this there were technical questions. These questions were not really hard to be honest. You just have to have a general knowledge of other things like foundations. I guess it depends what part of the company you are in the assessment for and you have to identify what civil aspects are in there and you can have a general feel for these easy questions.

The next part was a presentation. you are emailed 3 days before are have to submit the day before the centre. The first part asks about the company and also the section in which you are in for like water or construction of buildings. They will ask about what industry they currently operate in. this slide should be basically your understanding of the current position you will be going into. The next one is about their zero harm policy. Just research a few things and how you implement this and what you would do if you had to manage people. The last part is what you can provide over other people applying for the same job. Just describe a few things about yourself and some unique features about you
    The last part was a "written task". I put this in quotations because it was really just preparation for a presentation of something you have been tasked to do. This "something" is completely arbitrary and simple so don't worry too much. Just make sure you interact with your teammates and explore ideas with them. they are assessing how you prepare and work with others. The actual presentation won't usually be assessed.
    Contrary to other reports on here there was no further reasoning tests to be taken to verify our online scores. This may just depend on which centre you go to but we did not have one.

The actual interview was very easy in my opinion but i had a lot of examples. Its the presentation that may throw you.

When applying you will have to wait a while for the applications to close before they respond to you with online reasoning tests and then if successful an online interview which will lead you to the assessment centre.

Interview Questions

• When was a position in which you had a dilemma and what did you do?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Basingstoke, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Balfour Beatty (Basingstoke, England) in January 2017.

Interview

I Interviewed for the Living Places graduate Scheme. There were 8 of us. Standard assesment centre style. Included Individual Presentation, Group Exercise, Interview and an easy skills based test. This was after online tests and a video interview.

Interview Questions

• They showed me a cost time graph and asked me what the different areas represented. I.e how much changes in the project increases as the project progresses.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Balfour Beatty (Edinburgh, Scotland) in October 2015.

Interview

First made to do group work at a table while surrounded by members of the company all with clipboards and taking notes. Then made to do a basic engineering test. Next your given a topic and 30mins to create a presentation which has to be pitched to a few interviewers. Finished on a normal interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Balfour Beatty (London, England) in November 2016.

Interview

1 on 1 interview lasting around 15-20 mins based on companies core values
    Short presentation - You are sent information on beforehand and must present to two people. Topic was on Balfour Beatty, Zero harm, and why you are a good candidate.
    Group task - Given a short scenario and are given two hours to come up with a product idea for the scenario, create a prototype based on available resources and must then pitch the idea to a panel.

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Balfour Beatty (London, England) in August 2016.

Interview

online application involving cover letter, cv and some questions, then numerical and logical test. Phone interview for role information, and project background, and then a face to face interview. Very quick feedback from the interview,

Interview Questions

• Asked for example of how I fitted the company values, and very thorough check through the items listed on my cv   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Uxbridge, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Balfour Beatty (Uxbridge, England) in December 2015.

Interview

A short and quick online application followed by numerical and inductive reasoning tests by Qtalent and video interview. Afterwards, I was Invited for an assessment centre involving 12 graduates.
    Part 1: Group exercise-divided into 2 groups. Given a brief document to choose the best option from 3 available options for each 2 categories of solar panel system and air conditioner system and present it.
    Part 2: Individual presentation- 45 minutes to read a brief and afterwards presenting individually to one assessor who was a senior engineer/director. Topic was about a flood happened on a construction site and 2 options were given and I had to come up with one option and justify that. It was around 15 pages of brief and most probably noone managed to finish the document.
    Part 3: Interview- with one senior engineer/director and a HR. No technical questions. All example based questions. Give us an example where... Usual interview questions.
    Part 4: Written exam [individual]- 4 civil engineering questions mostly about concrete properties were asked and 30 minutes to answer them.

Interview Questions

• Give us an example of a situation where you had to consider health and safety in your work? What have you done to make sure that H&S is well considered in that situation.   4 Answers
    • Give us an example where you had to make a difficult decision.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Balfour Beatty (London, England) in November 2014.

Interview

This is an automated interview during which you will record answers to six pre-set questions. You will be given 60 seconds to record your response to each question, however if you are satisfied with your answer before the time is up, you can stop the recording.

Benefits for you:
    * Impress the interviewer and show your personality.
    * Communicate your strongest skills early on.
    * Record in your own time and place.

Click here to find out how a recorded interview works

What you need:
    * A computer with a webcam & microphone or
    * A tablet/smartphone (Android 2.2+ or iOS 6+).
    * Broadband connection (min 0.3 Mbs/s).

Hints and Tips:
    * Make sure the background is clear.
    * Make sure your environment is well lit and quiet.
    * Use an external microphone if there is noise in the background.
    * Re-read your application and refresh your knowledge of the company and make sure you are up-to-date with recent industry developments and initiatives.
    * Think about your interests and recent achievements, both academic and non-academic, which you could talk about in an interview situation.
    * Read about our values and think of examples where you have demonstrated these behaviours, and the competencies required for the role you have applied for.

Interview Questions

• can you describe an example to show that you match our company values.   Answer Question

Graduate Civil Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Balfour Beatty in November 2015.

Interview

I applied online which consist a simple form (simple info, no questions). Within two days, another email comes with the test link. (Talent Q) The test was tricky but not that hard as each single question was individually timed. Make sure you are hundred percent focus throughout. Then a week later I received the video interview. 6questions in total. You had chance to re-record for first 5 questions but the last one was only one-shot.

Interview Questions

• Why would you apply Balfour BeatTy?
      Why would you apply for this area of our business?
      What could you bring to Balfour Beatty?   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.