Benefex Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Benefex Interview Questions

Interviews at Benefex

3.2

Marketing Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Benefex.

Interview

I applied online, the next day i had a Phone interview with two assessments that took about 20 minutes each and were rather challenging. Then i was invited to a face to face interview with a set of directors

Interview Questions

Benefex Response

21 Jan 2019

Thanks very much for taking the time to share your interview experience. We're really pleased it was a positive one, please do keep an eye on our careers page for any other vacancies that you might be interested in.

Senior Management Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Benefex.

Interview

Three stage process - telephone interview and two face to face interviews, meeting a number of different employees at various levels within the organisation along the way. I also prepared a presentation for the final interview stage.

Interview Questions

Benefex Response

27 Nov 2017

Thank you very much for taking the time to log on and submit your review - it's great to hear that you found the experience to be a positive one.

Implementation Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southampton, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Benefex (Southampton, England) in October 2017.

Interview

Telephone interview with HR, then a testing stage - followed by a HR interview, then a second stage interview with Manager of the team.
    Really nice offices and when I was being tested I sat on a picnic bench, their offices are all open plan - so it was nice to see people walking through - all seemed really friendly and said hello!
    I then met with HR, I had spoken to her on the phone - she was really friendly and explained what the morning would look like. I completed some technical tests that were quite difficult, but got me thinking. Then I met with the Manager for a quick introduction at the end. I got feedback from HR the next day, I didint get the role this time, but I would definitely like to work here, Alix suggested I keep checking the website for opportunities. So once I finish my degree and gain some more experience I will re-apply.

Interview Questions

Benefex Response

27 Nov 2017

Thank you very much for taking the time to log on and submit your review. It's great to hear that you found the experience to be a positive one, and you're absolutely right, please do keep an eye on our website as as a growing business we frequently have new roles to recruit into. In the meantime, good luck with the rest of your degree :-)

Infrastructure Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southampton, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Benefex (Southampton, England) in February 2017.

Interview

Started with a telephone interview with an HR person who didnt actually listen to what I had said. Had to further clarify after getting feedback (which I had already told the person in the phone call). Then I had a face to face interview, again with the person who I had the phone interview with and two additional basic maths and comprehension tests. The HR person had obviously been smoking just prior to this as all I could smell was cigarettes - very unprofessional. They as a company are trying to mimic some of googles decor but its just a gimmick. Very much a mickey mouse company and was mis-sold to me by the recruiter as to their scale and aspirations. They didnt take further allegedly due to my lack of interest in the role - I suspect it was partly my age (mid forties) and they have all very young staff. Subsequently the role has been re-advertised with a ceiling 6k below what my recruiter told me the upper limit was which was already a 6k pay cut but was acceptable due to the convenience of their location. Also the HR department took a very long time to come back and is probably the worst interview process in my entire working history.

Interview Questions

• Basic numeracy and literacy tests - well below the level of technicality for the role I was applying. They had me do this test not in a side room but on a picnic bench in the main reception area - again very unprofessional. Staff were all dressed very casually.   Answer Question

14 Mar 2017

Thank you very much for taking the time to come and leave your feedback following your interview with us. I’m genuinely sorry to hear that you found the process to be a poor one, which is in contrast to the positive experience reported back to us by the vast majority of our candidates.

Appreciating that you are of course entitled to state your opinions, there are just a couple of points in your review which I would like to dispute. Our workforce demographic spans a wide age range – we have people working for us aged from 18 right through to retirement age. Our employees are not therefore “all very young”, and I would strongly refute that you were rejected due to your age. We have an objective set of selection criteria which you would have been scored against during both the test and the interview process, and your score in this would have been the reason you were not progressed to the next round of interviews.

I apologise if you felt there was a delay in you receiving feedback that you had been unsuccessful – this would of course have come to you through the agency you applied with.

You were required to sit the basic numeracy and literacy tests as a pass mark for both of these tests is mandatory for all employees, regardless of the department or job role you are applying to work within.

In regards to your comments regarding your location for the tests, we look to seat all candidates in our reception area while they sit these in order to allow you to get a better feel for the business – far more so in our opinion than if we sat you in an impersonal meeting room!

Finally, the role which you have seen advertised since your interview is actually a different role within the business, so your statement that the salary ceiling had been reduced by £6k is incorrect.

Having said all of the above, I am as I say genuinely sorry that you found the interview process to be not a positive one. I would like to thank you for the time you spent with us, and wish you all the best with your future career.

Junior Graphic Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Benefex.

Interview

Benefex has originally posted their ads for this and other positions early in the year, but I did not apply then. When they went up again a few months later, I decided to give it a go - I was quickly contacted by their 'Talent Scout' for a brief phone chat, which went well. I was told I'd receive a skills test as well as a design task - which was enjoyable, but with full time work to do it around, fairly involved. After handing both in, I was promptly offered an interview. A date and times agreed.

And this is where the trouble started. A few days before, the Talent Scout cancelled the interview, saying he has fallen ill. I thought it was a bit odd that there wasn't anyone else to conduct it, but ok. Busy company. I said no problem and he promised to reschedule when he is back in the office. A week went by without hearing anything, so I got in touch just to check in as I had to plan some dates around this potential interview. He let me know he is back in the office the following day and will contact me to reschedule. That was maybe Thursday - I did not hear anything on Friday, but I figured there was probably a lot to catch up on after an absence. I finally hear back from him around a week later, via text - only to be told that the position had unfortunately been axed and I will no longer have the interview.

When the ad for the same position went back up again some weeks later, I was torn on whether to get in touch or not - but I thought, well, I did the task, and I was offered an interview - the company is said to be growing rapidly and sometimes decisions have to be re-considered. Surely they would have just told me my application was unsuccessful if they were not interested?

So, in the end I contacted the same person expressing interest and asking whether my application could be considered again. Weeks went by and up to this day I heard nothing back.

Perhaps this was a series of unfortunate events, but I found the whole process frustrating and incredibly disrespectful of other people's time. A simple "We're no longer interested" would have been sufficient. I hope the company improves the practice in the future, and I hope I was not one of many to have this experience.

9 Sep 2019

Thank you very much for taking the time to log on and share your feedback. Firstly, I'm truly sorry to hear that your experience wasn't a positive one. The vast majority of our candidates feed back that they have really enjoyed our recruitment process; we strive to give every candidate a great experience and I can only apologise that this clearly hasn't been the case here. While I appreciate it doesn't change the experience you had, I would like you to be assured that I have used your comments as the basis of an internal review with my recruiting team, to ensure we learn from the points you have made and continue to improve our processes.

I'd be very happy for you to contact me directly if you would like to so that I can respond to your individual feedback in more detail - please do feel free to email me at kathrynkendall@benefex.co.uk.

Account Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southampton, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Benefex (Southampton, England) in December 2017.

Interview

Was very relaxed and went smooth, much better than the typical interview most companies do which looks very serious and may make some people panic.

I wish more companies can follow this style of interview.

Interview Questions

• I was asked few things like my experience and qualifications also about company values.

Also was asked about my interests and hobbies outside work and had basic assessment for numeracy and literacy.   1 Answer

29 Dec 2017

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback. We try to make all of our candidates feel as comfortable and relaxed as possible and it's great to hear that this was reflected in your experience.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southampton, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Benefex (Southampton, England).

Interview

Sadly I have to echo the other feedback.
    * Please ditch the online testing it belongs back in the 1990's
    * Interviews on the picnic bench are not cool they are unprofessional.
    * Hurry up and recruit that full time recruiter, getting essential information from HR was like pulling teeth.

I had been warned by several people Benefex have a terrible reputation with local recruiters and within the southampton IT community for terrible recruitment practices. I went any way because the office location was convient but sadly my experience was inline with everything I had heard. I'm not saying this because I'm bitter. I've since been offered a much better job with a fantastic local company so it worked out great for me. I'm saying it because it's true and I care about the quality of IT recruitment practices and want myself and fellow engineers to be treated with respect and fairness.

Interview Questions

• Please describe your recent experience.   1 Answer

5 Jul 2018

Thank you very much for taking the time to log on and post your review. We're genuinely sorry to hear that the experience wasn't a positive one for you, and will take all of your comments and feedback on board.

In regards to our online testing, for us it's a really valuable tool to help us assess how candidates will be able to deliver working in our fast paced environment. I'd be interested to hear more about why you feel it's outdated so that we can look to address this.

When it comes to us interviewing candidates in our open plan meeting areas, for the vast majority of our candidates this is a really positive experience which allows them to get a real feel for the culture and atmosphere at Benefex, as opposed to being shut away in an impersonal meeting room. However, we will take this on board and continue to keep under review.

We are delighted to now have a full time recruiter in place, however from an HR perspective we always respond to candidate queries in the same day, so again, it would be great to understand more about what it was that you didn't receive so that we can address this.

Finally, I would strongly refute your claims re our reputation as a recruiter in the local area. We seek feedback from all candidates and the vast majority of comments are extremely positive about how relaxed, informative and accessible our recruitment process is. Having said that, we will of course take on board all of your comments. I personally want all candidates - whether successful or not - to come away from the process feeling like it's been a positive one. That clearly hasn't been the case in this instance, and as previously stated, I would love the chance to discuss this further with you and understand more about your concerns in order to make sure that we can address these.

Project Manager Interview

Interview

3 stage interview process:
    1 - Phone call with HR - high level review of CV
    2- Face to face with HR - Cultural fit/ HR interview at Benefex Offices Southampton. HR related questions and your interpretation of Benefex culture and values
    3 - interview with MD

Platform Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southampton, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Benefex (Southampton, England) in November 2017.

Interview

I was approached by a recruiting agency regarding this role. The process was quite straight forward, I had a telephone call with two seniors in the business. This call went extremely well, and both sides agreed the role was a great fit.

Then followed the final stage of the process which was a joint HR then Technical interview. I was given a weeks notice and asked to prepare for a HR style interview and a technical interview.

Upon arrival to the interview, they showed me to a bench, which was positioned right in the main lobby. So everyone who attends the building is walking past you at some point or another. On this bench, they had two tests waiting, a literacy and numeracy test. My first reaction was, I wasn't expecting these tests, I've not prepared for them. I was interviewing for a technical role and it felt like I was being treated like a Graduate fresh out of university.

I was told not to worry, everyone does the tests, and to get through as much as I can. I had 15 minutes for the numeracy test, and 18 minutes for the literacy test. I completed 15 out of (i think 24) questions, in 15 minutes. One of the people hosting me, went off to mark that test, whilst I worked on the literacy one. No more than 10 minutes into the literacy test, they came back and said "Sorry, but We can't continue with todays interview. You scored 13 on the numeracy test." At this point I'm questioning the problem with 13 out of 15... but of course they took the entirety of the test into account.

They sent me away, without even a chance to prove myself technically. Which to me shows just how in the dark ages this companies hiring policies are. It was downright unprofessional to turn me away part way through a test, and frankly appalling that they hadn't informed the recruiting agency that there will be tests to prepare for. The numeracy test conducted was not dissimilar to a test which would be taken at school and as such Its been several years since then.

I graduated with a 1st class honours degree in computing, I've held a steady career for several years, building my knowledge around my field of expertise and I'm turned away from a role - that on a number of occasions I was told I was a great fit for by the technical people in charge - because of outdated policies.

In someways, it gave me a great insight into this organisation, as after this experience I really don't think I'd want to work for a company so rigid in their hiring process, that they won't even look at the technical ability of a candidate before outright refusing to progress them.

You need to take a good look at your hiring process and evaluate whether these 'school tests' are actually required/worth it, as the risk of loosing someone who could be an asset to your company. Technical ability for the role in question is much more important when frankly thats what you're paying the candidate to do at the end of the day. Not sit and work out the average speed of a train!

Interview Questions

• As mentioned above, the company didn't give me the opportunity to get to an interview stage.   Answer Question

23 Nov 2017

Thank you very much for taking the time to log on and post your review. I am truly sorry that you found the experience to be a negative one. We have designed our recruitment process with the aim of providing a great candidate experience throughout, and so I wanted to take the time to respond personally to the points you have raised.

It's great to hear that you found the initial telephone interview to be positive. We believe that a short telephone call with all shortlisted candidates allows both parties time to ask any initial questions and start to get to know each other a little better.

You are absolutely correct that we conduct our first stage interviews out in the lobby. The reason we do this is to allow candidates to get a better feel for the business. We used to test and interview candidates in our meeting rooms, but we had feedback that this felt very impersonal and didn't allow them to get a feel for what working at Benefex is really like. Feedback we now get from the vast majority of candidates is that they really like taking the tests out in our reception area and getting to observe the activity going on around them.

All candidates who progress to a first stage face to face interview are required to take our basic assessment tests in literacy and numeracy. This is regardless of level or role that they are applying for. The reason for this is that we find these test results can, with a strong degree of accuracy, tell us whether a candidate will be able to succeed in the fast-paced environment in which we work, within which a high level of numeracy and literacy ability is essential in order for us to be able to deliver a consistently stand out service to our clients.

All of our agency partners are aware that candidates are required to take these tests, and so while I apologise that you were not informed in advance, I would recommend that you feed this back to the recruitment agency in question.

The tests are deliberately designed to be stretching, and a pass mark in each is mandatory for candidates to be able to progress to the face to face interview stage. We believe it is appropriate to make candidates aware immediately if they have not successfully passed either of the two tests, rather than wasting their time taking them through the full interview process when we know that we will be unable to progress them further. Again, feedback from the vast majority of unsuccessful candidates suggests that this transparency is welcome.

The pass mark for the numeracy test is 70%. As your score was well below this, this was the reason that you were not progressed.

I appreciate your frustration and disappointment with the process, and understand that your technical skills are strong, hence the reason that you were brought in for interview. However, these tests were originally brought in to ensure that only candidates we believe will succeed in our fast-moving environment are progressed, to avoid wasting your time putting you forward for a role that experience tells us you will be unlikely to succeed in.

Having said all of the above, we do as I have said above genuinely value your feedback. We are looking to implement online testing, which will allow candidates to sit the tests online prior to coming into the office. That way, by the time you do come in to meet with us we can focus our time on getting to know you and answering your questions, and really immersing you in what it’s like to come and work for Benefex.

My apologies again that you did not find the recruitment experience to be a positive one. We will take all of your comments on board and will as ever look to continuously improve and refine the experience of all candidates who come in for interview.

Kathryn Kendall
    Chief People Officer, Benefex

Platform Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Southampton, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Benefex (Southampton, England) in May 2018.

Interview

Very relaxed and friendly - it felt more like a conversation than an interview! The interviewers were open and honest about the company's plans and challenges, and it was a good opportunity to exchange ideas and views about various concepts and technologies.

13 Jun 2018

Thank you so much for taking the time to log on and post a review of your interview experience. We're delighted it came across as so relaxed and friendly - we always aim to provide candidates with an opportunity to talk with us in an open manner so that you can give the best of yourself! It's great news that you have accepted, and we very much look forward to you joining the Benefex team.

Kathryn Kendall, Chief People Officer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.