Bloomberg L.P. Graduate Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Bloomberg L.P. Graduate Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Bloomberg L.P.

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

After applying online I was asked to select a timeslot for the interview. During the interview, I was asked one problem to code on. Though I was able to solve the problem with some hints but got late and that's why I was rejected.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in December 2018.

Interview

Went to a Hackathon, met Bloomberg people. I was impressed by their culture. So I applied and got an interview.

I miserably failed the phone screen coding interview. Question was easy and I had a good idea. I just couldn't make it to work properly somehow. I probably won't be invited onsite.

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY (US)) in May 2018.

Interview

I applied online. Two days later I got an email to schedule a phone interview.
    Phone Interview
    The interviewer was on time and quite friendly. He asked my a few questions about my interest in the company and why I thought I was a good fit. We then went through 3 fairly simple technical questions.

1. There are two streams of integers that should be captured and stored in the order they come in. Implement a way to retrieve the n most recent integers stored.

This was fairly simple to implement using a Linked List.

2. Given a binary tree, return the left-most node of each level in the tree.

I used an altered implementation of Depth-First-Search where you keep track of the current depth and stored left-most values in an array.

3. Implement a dynamic internet browser history system (keeping only 5 items up).

Here I panicked a bit and started doing an LRU cache, but managed to iron out the overkill, ending up with a custom implementation of a fixed-size Linked List.

We then concluded with questions I had for him. My questions we about the culture in the company, his team's duties and any philanthropic work he's been involved in during his time there. This interview took about 50 minutes.

After a very long delay, I was invited to interview on-site at their Headquarters in New York. Bear in mind that I applied for a position in London, but interviewed with the NY folks.

On-Site Interview
    This part of the interview was split into 4 rounds. Each round had the same structure. We began with a short discussion about my interest in the company, my background and projects. Depending on the interview, we did technical or HR-related questions after that and then concluded with any questions I had. Each interview was 1 hour.

Technical Rounds (1 + 2)
    1. Given a marathon route with markers that track runners' progress as they cross them, implement a system to keep track of the leaderboard.

I used an array of Linked Lists, one for each marker, as well as a HashTable to move runners around the markers. The interviewers helped make this as optimal as possible. We discussed trade-offs using Binary Search Trees instead of the lists.

FOLLOW UP: Implement a notification system that pushes a notification every time a specified runner, the three runners behind them or the three runners in front of them change their position in the leaderboard.

Okay this was pretty hard because I didn't know which part of the problem they wanted me to solve. I got stuck but I eventually figured out. Used an ArrayList of lambda expressions that pushed the notifications, triggering all of them in sequence when a runner crossed a marker. Even though they had to help me through it, they seemed pleased with my response.

2. Given a gym space on a grid, where spaces can be open, blocked or representing a gym equipment being used, we're looking to work out at the equipment on cell A, then use a yoga mat, then go to the equipment on cell B. Find the optimal place for the yoga mat.

This was a pretty weird question. I initially suggested Dynamic Programming. The interviewer said that was cool but we could solve it in a more elegant way. After a discussion about the way search algorithms work, I implemented a two-way Breadth-First-Search from both points, and returned the first point of contact. The interviewer seemed pleased with the response.

3. Implement the classic game Snake.

This was a fun one. I used a Linked List to store the snake, having O(1) operations for each of the interviewer's requirements from the start. He seemed very pleased with this answer. We had a great discussion about special cases and debugging the game to account for different use cases.

HR Interviews (3 + 4)

The first was a friendly session of HR questions about leadership, teamwork, cultural fit. It seemed that the interviewer was trying to make sure I was a good cultural fit. Make sure to practice behavioral questions for this round and know the company + your own stuff.

The second interview was with a Senior Manager in the Engineering department. It was more about my specific interests in teams, my career prospects with Bloomberg and the different paths I can take if I work there. This was the time to let all that industry knowledge shine.

Overall a great experience. Very well-organized, extremely friendly, knowledgeable and professional.

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I applied through on campus career fair. After 1 week, I had a technical interview on campus.
    There was only one staff. (I heard that there should be 2 people. ) The interview was 1 hour interview.

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Heard from my friends that first round was typically easy so I didn't expect it to be too tough but still I prepared, everything went well till I heard my data structure and algorithm question.

Interview Questions

• Given a world map, create a graph that can accommodate continents, countries, states, area, address and the graph my not necessarily have all the children listed above   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England) in March 2020.

Interview

1st stage: Technical phone interview
    2nd stage / virtual on-site: Due to COVID, the entire process is virtual. Bloomberg schedules the virtual on sites one interview at a time ie. if you fail one, you won't reach the next. There are 3 interviews in total here: tech, system design, and behavioural, in this order.

The questions were great, on the easy side and without any tricks. They focused a lot more on coding and data structures than on algorithms. (They all involved HashMaps of some kind for the optimal solutions). It was also important to look for edge cases and write a scalable solution, for very large input. Including one of the questions as an example to the type you might expect.

The actual process was not as pleasant. My impression of the 2nd interview was poor. I was grilled for leaving current grad job and the interviewer made it seem that they were incredulous that I'd leave it for Bloomberg. They also incorrectly pointed out a syntax bug in my code, which I explained it's correct (and literally showed that the IDE was suggesting it). They said they don't know well the language I was using so they might be wrong, but nevertheless insisted it's a bug.

After rejection, I asked for feedback and my recruiter agreed to call me 'sometime next week', call which never materialised.

Interview Questions

• Given a collection of objects and a method equiv(Object a, Object b) that returns true if a is equivalent to b, false otherwise, return a collection that groups the objects such that all objects in one group are equivalent.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England).

Interview

Initial phone screen followed by an on-site technical interview. Had to follow up on phone screen a week later for them to schedule the onsite. They arranged my travel to London and the interview lasted around 2 hours.
    Interviewed with two engineers, the problem was relatively simple, though it is tricky to code on a big screen a meter away and on your side - you may want to zoom in.
    The main interviewer was very nice and helpful to ellaborate questions, though the second interviewer, while nice too - seemed mostly uninterested.
    Unfortunately, I didn’t get an offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England) in November 2019.

Interview

Applied via Bloomberg LP's career website. Was invited for a Hackerrank coding interview with one of their Software Engineers. The guy I was paired with was nice but didn't seem to care at all. I'm surprised this happened as I expected someone a bit more professional (given it's Bloomberg after all).

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself?
      Given a string with opening and closing brackets of given arrangement and order, return a string that ensures bracket-pairs are correct.

eg. "((()))" -> "((()))"
      ")))(((" -> ""
      "((hello)()" -> "((hello))"   Answer Question

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2019.

Interview

They called me on phone. We chatted for a bit about my background and what I have dont in my preivous work and my school relevant projects. Then we moved to the coding part.

Interview Questions

• Find if parathnesses are balance in the equation. The Input a string containg an equation.   Answer Question

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2019.

Interview

Phone interview, including a technical coding challenge. He asked me a couple questions first then went to the coding website, the question was simple enough, but I messed it up..

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.