Bloomberg L.P. Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Bloomberg L.P. Interview Questions

Interviews at Bloomberg L.P.

5,617 Interview Reviews

1. Featured Interview

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England) in August 2019.

Interview

Applied online for Senior Software Engineer - Artificial Intelligence role through recommendation. The interview process was very smooth and professional and HR took good care of going through all the process. I had a screen call scheduled with two research engineers to evaluate my relevant skills and experience, suitability for the role, followed by an open systems design question and an online coding exercise (typical CS problems).
    Apart from a strong software engineering background, the role clearly requires significant experience in the AI-related fields and I unfortunately lacked some basics in machine learning -- it's a very complete and really interesting role. However, the interviewers very professional and trying to help. I did not get the offer, but I really appreciated the interview.

Interview Questions

• - Background and experience suitable for the role
      - Open systems design question (information storage and retrieval)
      - Typical CS online coding exercise   6 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Phone interview, took around 35 min. Applied through website and it took a few days to respond. Was asked to write code on hackerank. The reviewer is very friendly and helpful, first asked what language do I prefer.

Interview Questions

• output the rightmost elements of each level in a binary tree   2 Answers

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Interview

Relatively straightforward, very nice engineers. Did not have to compile/pass test cases, but instead explain your code very well. HR does a prep call beforehand if you want to go over logistics of onsite

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2020.

Interview

I applied online on May 7th. I heard back the next day that they wanted to do a phone screen with HR. I setup that call and all went well. This was when I first noticed that the recruiter (maybe just HR person) was rude and cold. They were not like the other recruiters I've worked with in my job search process. I didn't think much of it at the time. From there I did the tech phone screen on June 3rd. I heard back on June 7th that'd I'd be moving on to the virtual onsite. I scheduled my onsite for June 17th. They were very vague about the onsite and said I could schedule a call with the person I first talked to (hr/recruiter?) to learn more. I setup the call for June 11th. They never called... this should have really been a red flag for me but I still continued... When I logged into the virtual onsite I was greeted by 2 disinterested engineers that immediately just started talking without even greeting me. Throughout the interview they just seemed disinterested in what I had to say and many times they were silent after I was done speaking. The next interview was better but one of the engineers had a bad internet connection and so I barely could understand them. At the end of that interview they said I could take a 20 minute break and that someone would join the call after that. So I take a quick break and get on the call again. I wait 5 minutes, no one showed, 15 minutes, still no one... I wait 30 minutes and still no one joined the call. I emailed the only contact I had and luckily they got back and said "Oh I'm sorry (the recruiter/hr) person was supposed to join the call but got pulled into a meeting last minute. I think you already talked to her today though so you're done for the day". I had in fact NOT talked to her yet AND she failed to show up AGAIN. So unprofessional and completely rude. I was really thinking I'd like Bloomberg as a place to work but after this experience I will never apply again. This was such an awful experience as a candidate and I think they should really look into the HR/recruiter person I was working with. I heard back 2 days after the onsite that I was rejected.

Marketing Data Analyst Interview

Interview

Video Interview. There were 4 short questions and you have around 1 minute to record for each of them. Two were in English and two in the local language.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a recent major event that you think have substantial financial implication to the investors.   3 Answers

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Applied through Bloomberg portal from Linkedin and interview was scheduled by Company HR in 2 weeks time. HR Shared the Conference details for the First round . It was Technical by 2 persons and lasted for an hour

Interview Questions

• Explain a challenging requirement and our approach
      How do We update the Custom fields from a Transaction to Custom Table
      When is the Custom table updated exactly.
      LUW?
      Update Tasks?Background Tasks?Parallel Tasks of a Function Module?
      SAP Locks, what happens to a table update when the same entry is locked by SAP Transaction?
      While Updating a table in Update task, where shall we implement the table locks of Enqueue and Dequeue( In Update task or outside Update task) - Table Lock Enqueue should be before the Update task itself and Dequeue not sure some SCOPE Concept.
      OOABAP
      What type of Visibility is a Constructor
      Is it possible to make Constructor visibility to Private. If so how do we instantiate that class?( singleTon Class)
      A and B are two instances of a Class C, when we assign B to A, whenever we change the attributes of B , will it change the Attribute of A?
      If NO, then how to achieve the above requirement.
      Our Approach to implement the OOABAP for a requirement to calculate Freight cost for a specific sales order type. what type of method shall we create or overall approach?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY (US)) in June 2020.

Interview

New Grad student interveiw a entry level role. There will be a short introduction of yourself, then ten mins questions about a project that you think it is interesting, then one coding questions, you can choose the language you prefer.

Interview Questions

• Link the Nodes at the same level of a Binary Tree   1 Answer

Interview

It's a pretty long process, from start to finish it took about 3 months. First step is the video interview. You answer about 5 questions and record your answers. The questions are pretty standard like why Bloomberg, what's Bloomberg's main product, describe a time you...Some of the other posts here list some of the questions. I would prepare for the questions because you only get one time to practice for each one. Then, they email you and set up a superday at their offices. They help pay for everything which was really nice. The superday has 3 components. 1) They split the candidates into two groups and everyone reads an article. You are given time to discuss the article with your group and each group has to argue yes or no based on the article. Then the candidates come together and have a 15 minute debate. The actual article doesn't matter, I think it was more about working together and coming up with a solution. 2) The second part is a 30-minute online quiz. The quiz just covers basic probability questions and some coding. If you've ever taken a stats class and know some coding, you're good. I just brushed up on basic SQL queries. 3) The last part is probably the hardest. It's a 15-minute interview discussing workflows. There's two interviewers (one is silent and just observing). The other is there to talk you through the workflow. Basically, you want to make the process as efficient as possible and I kind of just bounced off ideas and talked them through with my interviewer. I don't know if there's a wrong or right way to about this but you're supposed to explain and focus on the why of everything you say.
    After the superday, I heard back about a week later for a short interview with one of the teams. It was a standard behavioral interview (tell me about yourself, why Bloomberg, describe a time you..., etc). Then I had another interview about another week later with the manager of the team. Again, it was a 30-minute standard behavioral interview. The manager did ask me some slightly harder questions but it was mostly behavioral. A week later I got the offer.
    I'd say the interview process is definitely kind of long, but I think it was a good way to get to know the company. They really take the time to make sure candidates understand Bloomberg. At the superday, analysts had a lunch with the candidates and they were willing to answer whatever questions we had. The honesty was refreshing and everyone was super friendly. I would just be calm, practice basic behavioral questions, and take the time to research the company.

Interview Questions

• Why Bloomberg? Describe a time you had to explain something technical. Describe a time when you had to work in a team.   1 Answer

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Interview

A recruiter interview then an hour and a half onsite interview. The onsite interview was pretty basic with a few situational question and being told about the company. A week after my onsite interview, I received an email saying they were not proceeding with my candidacy. After going through the whole process I thought they would at least have the decency to give me a phone call to let me know and not send me a generic email. This definitely put a sour taste in my mouth.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you solved a problem as a team.   1 Answer

Front End Engineer Interview

Interview

Interviewed in NYC.
    Interviewers are very friendly.
    Three rounds in total. The first is front end coding using React JS, second and third are system design.
    Recruiters are considerate. Great experience.

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Perhaps the only unprofessional interview experience I've had in my job search. Asked the guy how he was doing, how lockdown was treating him - responses were "good." "It's alright." Then he asked me about my background and interrupted me halfway talking through one of my projects to get on with the technical. Answered the technical with ease.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.