Bloomberg L.P. Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 20 Oct 2017
4,039 Interview Reviews

3.1

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY (US)) in June 2015.

Interview

Extremely smooth interview process.

Start off with the application on their website. It was smooth and only a resume submission. After that I was emailed by Bloomberg to set up a phone interview which I did. The recruiter also shared a Hackerrank link for the interview. (if you are unfamiliar with Hackerrank I definitely recommend practicing on their website)

Phone Screen (2 hrs):
    The interviewer called perfectly on time and was extremely nice. After testing the connection of the hackerrank session he asked about my experience which I had prepared and I described the tasks that I had worked on in my internships. Then he asked "Why Bloomberg". Definitely prepare a series of points for that as this is crucial to your interview. After that it was technical. Questions:
    - Given a set of arbitrary float numbers in an SQL table select only the ones that are exactly 4 decimal places
    - Remove arbitrary spaces from a sentence:
    eg: "The sky is blue " --> "The sky is blue"
    - Reverse an integer:
    eg: 3421 --> 1243

I was then contacted within two days to schedule an interview onsite. The HR department is extremely efficient. They scheduled and paid for flights and hotel and they compensate you with a gift card as well.

Onsite Interview (4 rounds):
    The onsite interview begins with the tour of the building. Its an amazing office. The tour ends in a room with the first set of interviewers who find you in the group of people and take you to your interview room where you will be for the rest of the day.

Round 1 (2 hrs):
    2-on-1 interview. Interviewers are very very helpful. I feel like a struggled at times but they were encouraging and basically test you to your limit.
    First I was asked in great detail about my internship. Definitely prepare your background from your resume. They are extremely knowledgable and will delve into great details about past projects.
    The technical question was to design a stack with O(1) lookup for minimum element in the stack. They first make you optimize your design till they are satisfied and then you have to write code for push, pop.

Round 2 (2 hrs):
    Again 2-on-1 interview. These interviewers were probably the ones who were supposed to be harsh. "Why Bloomberg". Be prepared! Then they asked about database management systems. Why is is better to have that over just creating text files? But he was never satisfied with my answer but I kept trying to resolve his questions without giving up. I think that is crucial. Then I was asked to design an address book which you can use to:
    a) Get the the info of a person from the name
    b) Get the info of a person from a number

Numbers are unique but names are not. They will ask you to heavily optimize your design (most optimal design: use hash tables with key as the the name or number and value as a pointer to the location of info with binary trees to handle collisions)

At this point I noticed people being escorted out. So basically if you don't pass your first two rounds then they walk you out of the building. If not then you have an HR and managerial interview.

Round 3 (45 mins):
    An HR lady will interview you. At this point you've basically passed and they're just checking a personality fit for the job. This interview was mostly just HR related. Finding out status of visa etc. Expected salary? Where else have you applied? Do you have an offer? etc etc. Keep the answers to those to a minimum. Do not mention more than 1 or 2 companies.

Round 4 (1 hr):
    Managerial interview was by far the most relaxed interview of all. It was basically just a conversation while delving into details about the past projects. I was also asked why I chose my internship and where I applied AND where I got accepted (that was definitely a little unexpected). We discussed my goals at Bloomberg and also extra curricular activities that I would like to get involved in. When were out of time she thanked me and walked with me till the entrance of the building.

I was contacted within 3 days of the onsite interview with an offer over the phone. The official offer letter was sent by email a few days later.

P.S. The interview process took around 40 days for me because I could not make it for the recommended onsite interview date for personal reasons and had to schedule for a later date.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

I first had a coding challenge, then I got called in for an interview. The interviewers seemed a little impatient and only asked to explain one element from my resume then dove right into technical questions.

Interview Questions

Interview

I applied online with my resume and heard from them within a couple of days. We set up a phone interview date and had a phone interview. It took about 30 minutes. She asked me questions regarding my resume, if I knew the job position well enough, and why I want to work for that job position. She told me at the end of the interview that I need to set up a date for my next interview and told me to e-mail an HR person.

Interview Questions

• Do you know what financial product analytics and sales people do?   Answer Question

Interview

A recruiter contacted from LinkedIn. Initial phone talk with recruiter then phone interview scheduled.

Instead of the actual person that is mentioned in coordinator's email, a different person called me. He asked several deep learning questions, and some debatable classical machine learning questions. I gave the right answers. The questions were cherry-picked and were not ideal for assessing theoretical knowledge. I guess the source of questions were topics that interviewer's own study schedule. The sentiment of interviewer's reactions that I received was not positive, I guess he did not like to receive the right answers.

Then he asked a programming question. It was a tricky tree question that I did not see before. I solve it. However, it was not working on the specific condition that he asked for. More specifically, it was working well when the tree is a complete tree, but failing when there were missing nodes.

Overall, I actually like the questions. However, the attitude of the interviewer was not nice and friendly. I believe he did not want me to pass the interview. I find him very unfriendly.

Unfortunately, this type of situation occurs in interviews, but I suggest Bloomberg select more suitable people for the interviews. Prospective candidates are investing time and taking time off from their work. The goal of the phone interview is assessing technical skills and theoretical knowledge in short amount of time, not debating or competing with an interviewer. A responsible interviewer should understand these aspects.

Interview Questions

• Tricky tree question, deep and machine learning questions   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Friendly people, good question and pretty good place for onsite interview. I do the on campus interview first and then go the do the onsite interview. People are very nice

Interview Questions

• Not very hard but can test one's total understanding of the software engineer   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

I had a phone interview recently with Bloomberg. I have nothing against people that aren't native English speakers or are from different countries, but my interviewer's accent was too strong for me to be able to understand him over the phone. I had to ask him to repeat himself several times for almost everything he said, and after asking him to do so several times I was usually still not able to tell what he wanted to say. I felt bad for him and I think Bloomberg HR needs to prevent this situation from happening in the future. I wasn't selected to move on to the next round, but I wonder how much of that was due to me not being able to understand the feedback my interviewer was giving me along the way. Overall it was a very negative experience - again, not necessarily the interviewer's fault - and terribly embarrassing, probably for both of us.

Market Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

I met with a Bloomberg recruiter on campus and applied to an internship position through their website. A week after applying, I received an email to do a online interview. The online interview consisted of 5 questions and I had one minute to respond to each question.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself. What are Bloomberg's core products?   Answer Question

Machine Learning Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Scheduled for an interview. Recruiter said an interview scheduled but never responded with what type of interview it is. I was expecting questions related to machine Learning and not coding, but at the end it was a coding interview. started with what I do now and then a coding question. I could not finish on time :(

Interview Questions

• Given acyclic graph find all the paths to a node from a parent node.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Interview

I submitted my resume on a Sunday and got an email an hour (still on Sunday!)later saying I'd been rejected. They don't even pretend that someone looks at the resumes.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

I had an interview on campus. The interviewer was friendly. It started with questions about my resume and then moved on to two technical questions. One was about trees and other was a design question.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.