Bloomberg L.P. Senior Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Bloomberg L.P. Senior Software Developer Interview Questions

Interviews at Bloomberg L.P.

3.3

Senior Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2014.

Interview

Using HackerRank.com you are being asked to write code. In the same time you are talking on the phone with interviewer. You'll see questions in left side and as you are selecting texts, writing codes, etc. your interviewer see your actions live time. Interviewer wasn't so much concerned about code to be ready to run, but more interested to see your algorithm solution.

Interview Questions

• Merge to sorted arrays into second array, both arrays has N elements, but second array size is N * 2. So you merge both arrays in second array in a sorted way.   4 Answers
  • Find if given text does have matching [ { ( opening and closing. So ({[]}) is valid and ({)} is invalid. They should open and close in proper order.   5 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY (US)) in October 2014.

Interview

Step 1. Phone interview. Std Core Java questions. Generics, erasure, recursion, GC. If you have experience as a Java programmer, there is little much you can do to mess it up unless you curse the interviewer.
    Step 2. Face to Face interview. Take me thru the steps what happens when you type a URL into your browser. Load balancing. I think these went OK. Then the next was to write an algorithm to solve some continuous function. I definitely bombed that.
    Anyway, I don't want to sound like a disgruntled interviewee who did not get the job. And I would have really liked to work there even though I don't really care about the location or the free chips.
    But it looks like they don't really value your experience. When you code in a programming language/OS for a long time, it pretty much becomes second nature. And for a contracting position not really sure how solving a problem involving continuous functions really helps anyone. The next interviewer asked me why I wanted to work at Bloomberg Law. You can easily BS for this question (search on youtube and you will find step by step instructions). But is this really relevant for a 6 months+ contracting position? Calm down dude, tell me a problem you have and let me help you solve it. I think its best for people fresh out of school or probably 1-3 years experience. If you have tons of experience like >10 years, don't bother. The market is great and you will find a job anywhere.
    My 2 cents for what its worth.

Interview Questions

• Something involving continuous functions and how to determine what points they cross the origin. I tuned out when the interviewer drew the x and y-axis. Really is this the kind of problem you are solving everyday? Why don't you ask me to write some algorithms that make sense.   Answer Question

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Chicago, IL (US)) in August 2014.

Interview

Many rounds of phone technical interview, (1) HR person first round of technical screening, some basic core java questions, not very difficult (2) followed by a phone technical interview for about 40 mins, then followed by (3) another coding review through phone. had too many other interviews, so declined the coding review

Interview Questions

• fundamental core java questions, garbage collection, hashmap   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY (US)) in September 2014.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me and we set up a phone interview.

The interviewer called me up half an hour late, and started off with an "I understand I'm late calling you, but it would be really helpful to me if we just do this now anyway". I should've cut him off then and rescheduled.

During the technical questions, the interviewer kept cutting me off and laughing. He was extremely nasty and condescending, saying things like "I'm sure you're smart and all, but I just can't understand why you think that's a good answer," and "You didn't get that, maybe google a little more next time." When I asked him questions, he said things like "I'm sorry, I just don't understand why you'd ask me something like that." I'm happy I didn't get an offer for an in-person if that's the type of person I'd be working with.

Interview Questions

• Rearrange the elements of an array so that all zeroes are at the end of the array, while preserving the ordering of the nonzero elements.   2 Answers

Senior Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

it started with a programming assignment called equity challenge using any programming language. And I did it in C++. this had to be done before the phone interview.... they used a service called Hackerrank.com.

Phone interview, they also used hackerrank.com for a programming question, which asks you to write a function showing the first unique character in a string. pretty straightforward with O(n) complexity..

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY (US)) in March 2011.

Interview

Screening through a recruiting agency over the phone, then one phone interview and a visit to NYC to be interviewed by 2 different teams of 2 people each, 3 hours with groups of 2 people, for a total of 12 people, the interview lasted all day, they paid for my plane tickets and hotel. I learned that both teams wanted me when the recruiter called me next day with the job offer.

Interview Questions

• One question was about auto suggestions in a browser
      How threading works in different flavors of Unix
      C++ question
      There were more questions but I can't remember now but I will update this information in the future.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiation started right next day after I got the offer. They paid relocation expenses and a rented apartment in Manhattan for a month.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY (US)) in February 2014.

Interview

Found posting on LinkedIn group. Contacted recruiter. Had a good 20-30 min. conversation with recruiter, who then scheduled a technical phone interview the next week.

The position was for a C/C++ developer so (surprise surprise) C++ questions. Typical technical questions about C++. Nothing to easy, but nothing crazy obscure either. That went ok. Had a second technical phone interview. Similar questions. One design question. But as long as you understand data structures - and how and what to use them for, it shouldn't be too difficult.

Got invited for an onsite interview(s) in NYC. These are done in stages, with little to no break. First interview @10am, was technical with 2-3 developers. Similar to the phone technical interviews. But this time you need to write code. Unfortunately, you have to write code on paper (tiny sheets of paper), with dull pencils. I should have brought my own. Not sure why they don't have whiteboards there. At the end of each interview, the team decides whether to have you continue interviewing. I got a second interview.

Again a team of 2-3 developers, asking technical questions, nothing to crazy though. But for this second interview, I felt the team lead (I assume he was the lead, or at least a more senior developer) was trying to pressure me to write the code faster. Kept saying we're almost out of time, even though we weren't really). But it is a good technique. Seriously. As an experienced s/w developer, there are times when you will be in a high pressure situation, and it is important to see how people respond.

This is where my onsite interview day ended. As I understand it, the normal plan is to have 2, technical interviews, then a manager interview, then an HR person comes in to wrap things up. You may get an offer right then and there, or you may get it within 24 hours, if they can't quite make up their minds then and there. But ... they will let you know either immediately, or within 24 hours at latest. Which is great, really.

I knew that after the 2nd tech. team left, and the HR person came into the room that I was done for the day. I wasn't upset by it though. I enjoyed the experience. My suspicion is that I wasn't maybe as sharp, technically, in my responses. I didn't prep to much just before the interview. Mostly because I wasn't too sure if I really wanted to live and work in NYC, but also because I wasn't totally sure if this would be a good fit.

My advice is to prep writing code before hand. There are lots of interview questions you can find, here and elsewhere. Practice them. And on the day of the interviews, practice them about an hour or two before the interview, just to get your brain warmed up for coding of the top of your head, on paper.

If you get an onsite interview, eat a big breakfast before. They will keep you there until they are done with you. Of course you can get bathroom breaks. But you'll be there all morning, and possibly afternoon. But honestly, I find the time flies by. My interviews started at 10am. I had 2, but the second didn't end until 12:30, and I left by 1pm. There was a long wait between the end of the 2nd interview and the HR person telling we were done. Which is why I think I did OK, but just not 100% there for them, I guess.

Interview Questions

• Nothing to difficult, I guess.

Design a system that keeps track of tickers (name and price) per exchange that: gives the top 20 most recently updated tickers - or something like that.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

I was initially contacted by a Bloomberg recruiter via LinkedIn. I was advised to apply for jobs online. I was then contacted to provide dates for phone screen interviews. For two of the positions, I was asked to give dates for in-house interviews. For one position, the interviewers were mostly very young and impatient. I think they had too many interviews going on that day and had a shortage of conference rooms. I was not always given a chance to refine my answers. For the second position I had a much better set of interviews that lasted most of the day (including lunch).
    In the end I did not get hired.

Interview Questions

• I mentioned using a circular buffer as a technique of buffering messages and they asked me to implement one. I had not thought out how to deal with telling the difference between buffer full end buffer empty.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY (US)) in November 2010.

Interview

I was told that it will be a phone interview. I got the call 40 minutes after the scheduled time, that too after i contacted HR that i am waiting. The interviewer talked to me only for 10 minutes. After a week, i got negative response from HR.

Interview Questions

• Find the most populous character in a string.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

Applied online, went through phone + 1:1 interview.
    Phone interview questions
    . Mostly C++ knowledge based, copy constructors, virtual functions, STL, templates, dyn amic memory allocation.
    . One puzzle
    1:1 interview
    . How would you go about designing facebooks suggest a friend feature
    . How would you store a large list of name, zipcode and customer names.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about designing facebooks suggest a friend feature   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.