Bloomberg L.P. Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Bloomberg L.P. Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Bloomberg L.P.

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY (US)) in April 2020.

Interview

In general, the interview process was smooth. Experienced interviewers were nice , patient, polite and helpful. However, other interviewers (with less experience), who thought themselves to be smart were aggressive and impatient. Usually these people have learned few things recently and would do everything to show their knowledge and smartness by catching small errors. If I were given the opportunity to work with them, I would have a second thought.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY (US)) in March 2020.

Interview

I sat around waiting for a call that never happened. I got bored in the hackerrank site and I started asking myself interview questions. Then I modified the program to output "I'm sorry that I've stood you up.". I was thinking of making it more dynamic and give random funny responses to why I was stood up, but felt my time is better used doing literally anything else.

Interview Questions

• I asked a series of questions to myself in the hackerrank site, ranging from "why are you looking for a career at Bloomberg" to "why are you asking yourself questions". They were pretty straightforward. The interviewer seemed super smart and handsome.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY (US)) in October 2019.

Interview

Phone interview on hackerrank, a pretty good one. The interviewer was very nice and professional. Then onsite in New York. Two rounds with two members each. The first one was pretty good, both interviewers were nice and leading you to solve the problem step by step. Second round was system design. Messed up some silly but medium difficult problem (shame on it). One of the interviewers made me nervous. Felt not good, no following interview. Got rejected next day

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY (US)) in July 2019.

Interview

Interview process was pretty standard. First you go through hacker rank and then onsite. I found the hacker rank interview little on the difficult side, i think it often depends on the interviewer though.

Interview Questions

• Design of a regular expression parser to match the repeating characters and algorithm based on binary search.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY (US)) in November 2018.

Interview

Got a call from recruiter to apply and heard back in couple days to set up phone interview.
    This was followed by another phone interview and then onsite. During onsite, there were two technical rounds with people who seemed to be senior developers. Then a round with two managers followed by brief interaction with HR. Got offer 2 days later.

Interview Questions

• How do you write quality code? Also about code-review process.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY (US)) in November 2018.

Interview

I was put through two live online coding screen interviews. I was surprised to encounter a second screen, instead of either stopping or proceeding to real interviews. I am guessing candidates without referrals are usually put through one screen, but an additional screen is used when the first interview result did not result in a clear success.

The problems were not that difficult, but there was a lot of time wasted in writing boilerplate code for the problem. I would either prepare that boilerplate code for the interviewer beforehand or remove some of the unnecessary detail from the problems. I felt like most of the interview I spent typing code that provided the interviewer no more insight into my ability to problem solve or program.

Overall, the format felt kind of trite. The interviewers were generally smart, polite, and interesting. The phone connections were pretty bad in both interviews. The way the problems were stated and tested, it felt like the interviewer had one solution they were referring to, and they were waiting to see if you matched the solution, rather than a more fluid conversation. I used to have interviews like this years ago, but most processes have evolved since then.

Overall, I am sure designing an interview process is hard and the steps in this process were pretty good. But they made the company look a little dated, with an old fashioned one way, adversarial approach. I would also reconsider whether phone screens are useful. They generally come off as half committing to interviewing someone.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

I was working with an _internal_ recruiter who, I don't know if she typically recruits for this type of role but her knowledge of what it was and what the interview process was was minimal at best. She was very nice, though, and found two roles with groups who were interested in interviewing me; both roles seemed like good fits. She described the process as: (1) a one-hour programming/get-to-know-the-role interview, then (2) half-a-day on-site.

So for the first round, both interviewers asked pretty similar programming questions but left different amounts of time for my questions about the role, which was fine, honestly, since (a) I figured I could probably ask more when on-site and (b) _neither_ of them were with _either_ of the groups I was interviewing for. So I could really only get a high-level understanding at best. That aside, Bloomberg uses this site called Hacker Rank which gives you and the interviewer a collaborative programming environment, which is pretty neat.

One of the groups decided to bring me on-site and all I was told was that it would be half a day. _That is it._

Now part of this is definitely my fault because I assumed that the on-site interview would be like most other companies' on-site interviews: meet with someone in HR, talk about the role a lot (like what I could bring to it, what the team needs, _what the team even works on exactly_), meet members of the team, do some problem-solving at a high level, maybe one more programming question and/or brain-teaser.

Nothing could have been further from the truth. First off, and this is probably what I'm the most upset about, is that _none_ of the four guys I interviewed with on-site were in my group. None! I don't even think they even interacted with my group. How can someone take a job without knowing anything about who or what they'd be working with?

I should also mention that Bloomberg's policy is not to send out an agenda prior to the interview since they want to allow for "flexibility" for their employees. But really, you can't even send out a high-level overview in the form of a bulleted list?

Then, the interview was not half a day but it was two hours. When I arrived, the person I was supposed to meet was out that day--fine, it happens--and the person who was his stand-in was very nice and offered me lunch, which was not on the "agenda". I'm not sure how I was supposed to arrive to an interview hungry at 1pm and eat lunch while doing an interview, but alright, nice enough gesture. Then we went into a small meeting room and were joined by another member of his team, and then I was given _yet another programming question_, just like the ones I had done over the phone. So not only was I not prepared to be asked more generic programming questions, but this one was on something I hadn't even thought about in like ten years. The other guy decided to use the experience to teach me about the concept of divide-and-conquer like I was born yesterday.

Awkward enough but it gets better. They left and I met two more guys, one from the same team as the first two and one from some totally different team. One of them spent about thirty minutes asking me the kinds of high-level, how-would-you-approach-this-problem questions I had been expecting, so it was nice to talk to him and think about those kinds of solutions that would actually be relevant to the job I may or may not have been interviewing for. Then, the other guy gives me _YET ANOTHER_ programming question, and the best part is that it was the same one as what the first guys asked me!

It's clear that no one talks to each other at this company, even when they're sitting in the same tiny open-floor-plan room eight hours a day. And what kind of recruiter lacks a standardized e-mail they can send around to all candidates with some kind of "what to expect at your interview" description?

The day-to-day at Bloomberg might be fine, but if their interview process is any indication, run fast and far in the other direction.

Interview Questions

• Breadth First Search. Both on-site interviews asked me to implement breadth first search. Is this like a burning dire need at this company? Can't anyone over there just look it up and implement it in five minutes like I would?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY (US)) in October 2018.

Interview

Arbitrary interview criteria depending on team & interviewers. Non-meritocratic.
    Telephonic interviews with two different teams followed by onsite interviews with two teams. Interviewers themselves were very varied in their CS skill level as well as interviewing skills. Most interviews were 2:1 which was quite distracting as I did have the other interviewer interrupt & lead in a different direction. Overall, I did quite well but was eventually told that one team had to move fast to fill up the position, while the other team was a misfit.I've interviewed with several companies in the past year and I've found the process at Bloomberg quite arbitrary, confusing & non meritocratic (something which they strive really hard to be).

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2018.

Interview

I applied through a recruiter, they scheduled a telephonic interview in a week. The interview has three parts, about the resume (10-12 min), coding (45 min) and any questions about the company (5 min). The coding part is not hard. However, they are still in old C++ style and the interviewer did not understand C++ 11 syntax (like the new for loop, auto, shared_ptr etc) and when I asked him if I should write using old C++ he asked me not to. However, it is a little frustrating to hear that they are not taking advantage of the new language feature. During the interview, he gave me an impression that he was very happy with my coding and told me that he is happy with my performance. We had a nice discussion as we develop the program. I completed both questions up to his satisfaction, but after a week I got the response from my recruiter that even though they thought that I am a strong candidate, my skill set doesn’t match with the requirement. It was a surprise to me as I am working on the same field using C++ for 19 years, but still, my skill set does not match with their requirement. Maybe he was not happy when I started using new C++ language features.

Interview Questions

• Compress a string using a number of the repeated character followed by the actual character. For example, aaassbd should be converted tp 3a2s1b1d.   Answer Question
    • Matrix multiplication (3X3 to 1X3). I forgot the actual logic, but I quickly picked up the logic and wrote the program once he explained the basic logic with a simple example.   Answer Question
    • Time and space complexity of the above functions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY (US)) in July 2018.

Interview

Applied online and got a recruiter mail the next day to schedule 60min technical phone interview.

The day of the phone interview, my interviewer was punctual, and very helpful throughout the session. He gave me a chance to introduce myself and then asked a coding question.

I chose to answer in Python and took few iterations to solve the problem. He then asked me to explain verbally how I would solve some extensions to the same problem.

When he concluded technical questions, he answered all my questions and seemed like a great guy to work with. All in all, it was a good experience.

Interview Questions

• sort words in book based on popularity and page indexing   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.