Bloomberg L.P. Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Bloomberg L.P. Software Developer Interview Questions

Interviews at Bloomberg L.P.

3.1

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2019.

Interview

applied through online, the hiring processing took 2 weeks, the interviewer was very helpful. He initially went through the resume and asked me questions regarding my projects, experience. Then we went on to the coding where I had to write a code on the hackerrank platform. Later, he asked me whether I had any questions and told me about the Bloomberg terminal.

Interview Questions

• Return the index of next largest element in the given array   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY (US)) in May 2019.

Interview

very pleasant during phone and first on-site round. The tour before the interview is very interesting.
     two question one easy one hard. nailed them.
    stuck at the second round.
    It's recursion problem about zombie to cross river

Interview Questions

• It's recursion problem about zombie to cross river   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

A technical interview on hackerrank and a architectural design question on hackerrank.
    Both were relatively basic. The first interview went pretty well. The second interview went okay (the architecture question was extremely simple) but the interviewer seemed bored and the conversation was a bit akward. Afterwards I got a automated rejection email without any feedback.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

There was 1 hacker-rank coding round which was easy and then 4 onsite rounds out of which 2 were technical and the other 2 were behavioral with senior manager and HR to get a grasp of the cultural git and expectations and other formalities

Interview Questions

• round 1
      1. Get the most trending tweet from a feed of user tweets
      2. word wrapping problem
      round 2
      design the k most visited URLs for chrome   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Standard interview process. Expect HR intro call then technical phone screen then possible onsite. It's not too difficult. Study cracking the coding interview and fundamentals of the language that you are coding with.

Interview Questions

• Return first unique character in a string. I would advise candidates to walkthrough question multiple times with interviewer because they may not be good at explaining the question or speech in general.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY (US)) in March 2018.

Interview

a phone interview, 5 minutes quickly goes through my resume and then comes 2 algorithm questions on hacker rank. After about one to two week, got the reject letter by email.

Interview Questions

• "what's the most difficult problem you ever meet in coding"   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Atlanta, GA (US)) in February 2018.

Interview

I talked to the recruiters during career fair at my university and got an interview invitation next week. The recruiters were very professional, asked me about some recent projects and general interests. Then they gave me coding problems to solve on the board or paper.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY (US)) in June 2015.

Interview

Extremely smooth interview process.

Start off with the application on their website. It was smooth and only a resume submission. After that I was emailed by Bloomberg to set up a phone interview which I did. The recruiter also shared a Hackerrank link for the interview. (if you are unfamiliar with Hackerrank I definitely recommend practicing on their website)

Phone Screen (2 hrs):
    The interviewer called perfectly on time and was extremely nice. After testing the connection of the hackerrank session he asked about my experience which I had prepared and I described the tasks that I had worked on in my internships. Then he asked "Why Bloomberg". Definitely prepare a series of points for that as this is crucial to your interview. After that it was technical. Questions:
    - Given a set of arbitrary float numbers in an SQL table select only the ones that are exactly 4 decimal places
    - Remove arbitrary spaces from a sentence:
    eg: "The sky is blue " --> "The sky is blue"
    - Reverse an integer:
    eg: 3421 --> 1243

I was then contacted within two days to schedule an interview onsite. The HR department is extremely efficient. They scheduled and paid for flights and hotel and they compensate you with a gift card as well.

Onsite Interview (4 rounds):
    The onsite interview begins with the tour of the building. Its an amazing office. The tour ends in a room with the first set of interviewers who find you in the group of people and take you to your interview room where you will be for the rest of the day.

Round 1 (2 hrs):
    2-on-1 interview. Interviewers are very very helpful. I feel like a struggled at times but they were encouraging and basically test you to your limit.
    First I was asked in great detail about my internship. Definitely prepare your background from your resume. They are extremely knowledgable and will delve into great details about past projects.
    The technical question was to design a stack with O(1) lookup for minimum element in the stack. They first make you optimize your design till they are satisfied and then you have to write code for push, pop.

Round 2 (2 hrs):
    Again 2-on-1 interview. These interviewers were probably the ones who were supposed to be harsh. "Why Bloomberg". Be prepared! Then they asked about database management systems. Why is is better to have that over just creating text files? But he was never satisfied with my answer but I kept trying to resolve his questions without giving up. I think that is crucial. Then I was asked to design an address book which you can use to:
    a) Get the the info of a person from the name
    b) Get the info of a person from a number

Numbers are unique but names are not. They will ask you to heavily optimize your design (most optimal design: use hash tables with key as the the name or number and value as a pointer to the location of info with binary trees to handle collisions)

At this point I noticed people being escorted out. So basically if you don't pass your first two rounds then they walk you out of the building. If not then you have an HR and managerial interview.

Round 3 (45 mins):
    An HR lady will interview you. At this point you've basically passed and they're just checking a personality fit for the job. This interview was mostly just HR related. Finding out status of visa etc. Expected salary? Where else have you applied? Do you have an offer? etc etc. Keep the answers to those to a minimum. Do not mention more than 1 or 2 companies.

Round 4 (1 hr):
    Managerial interview was by far the most relaxed interview of all. It was basically just a conversation while delving into details about the past projects. I was also asked why I chose my internship and where I applied AND where I got accepted (that was definitely a little unexpected). We discussed my goals at Bloomberg and also extra curricular activities that I would like to get involved in. When were out of time she thanked me and walked with me till the entrance of the building.

I was contacted within 3 days of the onsite interview with an offer over the phone. The official offer letter was sent by email a few days later.

P.S. The interview process took around 40 days for me because I could not make it for the recommended onsite interview date for personal reasons and had to schedule for a later date.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2017.

Interview

Had two rounds of phone interview with 2 different engineers. First round was great, it was colloborative and constant feedback was given and was able to solve two problems very well in the first round. Cleared the first round.
    In second round, got asked two questions. Answered the first question smoothly. Second question, a little tricky but no help from other end. The interviewer was quiet the entire time not encouraging.

Interview Questions

• Find the unique characters in the String.   Answer Question
    • Given a list of flight paths A<->B, A<->C, B<->D , need to print all possible flight paths starting from each point. For.e.g. A - B -D -B-A, etc.   Answer Question
    • Given a list of words find the odd/even character split of that word exists in the list   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Boston, MA (US)) in March 2017.

Interview

Interviewer introduced himself via some hand on projects.
    He asked about some java basic questions and some detail about my project on resume. He also asked about how good you think you are at java.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.