Bloomingdale's Executive Development Program Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Bloomingdale's Executive Development Program Interview Questions

Updated 5 Jul 2018

25 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Executive Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomingdale's (New York, NY (US)) in October 2015.

Interview

Early rounds were quite easy. The interviewers (campus recruiters) were extremely nice and relatable. They were genuinely interested in getting to know you. The final round interviews lasted over two days. It included testing, hour interviews and a shadowing experience. It might have just been my specific interviewer, but the employees I met were not as enthusiastic and genuine as the campus recruiters.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomingdale's

Executive Development Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomingdale's (Chicago, IL (US)) in December 2013.

Interview

Lots of interviews with many different senior managers. Didn't get an opportunity to meet with someone in the program. One part of the interview included a lunch with other candidates which was fairly awkward. We were respectful of one another but it was clear that we were in competition. It would have been nice to learn about the career paths available instead of just one track. I spent 2.5 hours interviewing which was exhausting but glad to get it done in one go.

Interview Questions

• How have you handled a professional conflict and what was the outcome?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Bloomingdale's (New York, NY (US)) in October 2016.

Interview

There were four rounds. A few weeks after an employee referred me in September I was invited to schedule a phone screening. The first round was a call with the Director of the college recruiting team. Have answers prepared for: why you chose your university and college major in addition to the more standard– “tell me about yourself”, “why Bloomingdale’s”, “why retail”. After that I was sent links to fill out an online application and complete multiple online tests. One test included 5 sections of deductions and logic (no time limit); the other was retail math (no time limit) and more logic (time limit); the last was a personality test where you had to strongly agree or disagree with statements.
    The next interview was a virtual with a buyer. My email from HR initially implied I had the option to have this interview in-person but in the end wasn’t given a choice. Bloomingdale’s uses a program called HireVue to conduct the interview. You have to look through a webcam but dial in on a phone for the audio so would recommend 1.) dialing in 10 minutes before your interview starts 2.) muting your computer if you have notifications turned on 3.) wearing headphones. Industry knowledge is extremely important for this interview so I would recommend being up to date on broad industry shifts, trends and the latest industry news. Understand Bloomingdale’s competitors, their relationship to Macy’s, and the company’s place in the market. What are things you would improve about their store or website? Most questions are behavioral such as "describe a time when you used data to persuade someone." That same day I was contacted to come in for the assessment day at the end of October. I was sent an email detailing the two-day process, logistics, and appropriate dress code for each event.
    In the final round, Bloomingdale’s invites you all expenses paid to spend two days interviewing at their corporate headquarters in NYC. I had a great experience and thought this was the best part of the process. The first day included more test taking (speaking to other candidates I found that not everyone had had to take tests in their first round, so some of the logic tests were the same ones I had taken previously), the others were new personality tests. There was a reception that evening with the HR and merchandise team. The following day included breakfast; three 30 minute interviews with buyers, planners and a senior HR; a retail math test (timed 30 minutes); an opportunity to shadow (you can ask more informal lifestyle questions to this person) and a group interview. The most enjoyable part by far was the lunch the CEO Tony Spring came to speak. I would recommend practicing retail math and terminology for various aspects of these two days. Some people here have found it awkward that you have to interact frequently with the other candidates, because they are “competition”, I disagree here. As long as you’re professional, kind and cordial it shouldn’t be uncomfortable. The only part I did find awkward was when the candidates from the core schools (Penn, Michigan, Wash U) became cliquey, but the HR team does its best to split up these groups, and I think being an outsider can give you a refreshing perspective.
    Overall, I really enjoyed my experience with Bloomingdale's. It was long -offers weren’t extended until nearly a month after the intense final interviews in late October- but I felt that the process was well organized, and designed with a 360 mentality so the team could understand how you would react in diverse situations. For the most part, everyone was positive, friendly and genuinely concerned with getting to know you. At times some of the interviews felt a little stiff because the interviewers had to stick to a script of questions instead organically asking what came to mind based off your experience and answers, but they were self aware and good humored about this. If you are applying for this job having already worked, bear in mind this is a recruitment program for college seniors so at times you may feel patronized, and it is also my impression that candidates have different recruitment experiences depending on if Bloomingdale’s recruits on your campus or not etc. so don’t worry if your experience varies from what you read online. I would recommend patience waiting for answers from HR, but don’t be afraid to follow up. The college recruitment team does travel, and I’ve read here that they have roughly 1700 applications to deal with per cycle, which makes response times slow, but I do think its possible to fall through the cracks if you don’t follow up two weeks or so between rounds if you haven’t heard anything.

Interview Questions

• What do you notice when you walk into a Bloomingdale's store?   Answer Question

Executive Development Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bloomingdale's.

Interview

Made the application through university website. Met the staff through a social night before the interview. I met some of interviews that nigh. They have two interviews: individual one and case study. The interviewers are all very nice.

Interview Questions

• Ask about my resume. For case study, they let you pick the most potential candidates based on the information given. You need to explain why. Pay attention to the time.   Answer Question

Executive Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomingdale's (Washington, DC (US)) in October 2017.

Interview

Two interviews back to back with HR representatives one was pretty chill in the other they asked a lot of excel related questions so be prepared. They also asked about what is the ideal environment I would like to work in and some questions related to fashion and the newest trends.

Executive Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Villanova, PA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomingdale's (Villanova, PA (US)) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied through my university and got interviewed a few weeks later. It was a standard Skype interview with 2 recruiters, that lasted an hour. The first interview consisted of hypothetical questions, like retail scenarios. The other interview specifically focused on leadership skills.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bloomingdale's (New York, NY (US)) in November 2017.

Interview

It took them a while to get back to me after I applied but I got the chance to fly to their flagship store in NYC after a 2nd case interview. Once there, it's an ENTIRE DAY of interviews and shadowing (be prepared and rested).

They were all really nice though the entire process, you got a feel that they are a family there. They also don't sugarcoat the fact that retail is struggling.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bloomingdale's (New York, NY (US)) in February 2017.

Interview

There were about 3 interviews over the course of a few months, mainly through Skype. Questions were mainly behavioral, along with a few tests (math exam, personality exam, reasoning exam). It seemed like a very challenging interview for a very non-challenging job.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time you faced a challenge at work and how did you approach it?   1 Answer

Application

Interview

The HR representatives were wonderful and made me feel like a valued candidate. One interview on campus and one interview at the Flagship in NYC. In person interview was from 8-5 with 3 individual interviews (2 people from HR), a group case study interview, one hour job shadow, breakfast and lunch provided, upper level manager spoke to us. It was a long day, but was very enjoyable.

Executive Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomingdale's (Miami, FL (US)).

Interview

2 Part Interview; First was via phone speaking to someone from headquarters and the second was in person speaking to someone from HR. The first interview was mostly about your resume and experiences. Want to get to know you. The second part was hypothetical questions to see how you would respond to specific situations with employees and customers.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.