Boston Consulting Group Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Boston Consulting Group Associate Interview Questions

Interviews at Boston Consulting Group

3.8

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Chicago, IL (US)) in October 2011.

Interview

2 back-to-back 45-minute interviews with project leaders on campus. One focused on whether or not an asset mgmt firm should expand into China, one focused on joint-product development. Fair mix of quantitative/qualitative. One interviewer was very confusing in explaining problem correctly and did not give me necessary data, so I did not do as well as I could have and as not invited back for second round.

Interview Questions

• Should asset mgmt company expand into China if their stock market indices are growing by 80% a year while the american indices are growing at only 5%   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY (US)) in October 2011.

Interview

Interviewers were very nice. However I'm still waiting for response. I heard people usually get called the same evening or next day, but it's been 4 days and I haven't heard anything.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY (US)) in May 2011.

Interview

I went to the NY office for the first round of interviews. It was two 1:1 interviews with the first 10-15 minutes focusing on "fit" questions while the next 30-40 mins focused on a business case.
    The first 1:1 went really well - aced both parts of the interview. However the next 1:1 didn't go as smoothly, solely because I don't think we got a good feeling for each other. She seemed rather tired and bored (interviewed 5 candidates in one day).

Interview Questions

• This X company would like to expand its business to Y business and they will only do it if they can make profit....should they go ahead with it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA (US)) in June 2010.

Interview

Graduate Associate position at BCG. Typical case studies, first round was very basic business situations, 1) 1 outsourcing telephone line repair services for a Telecoms company, a lot of basic math. 2) A bit more abstract and strategy case consisting of heavy metals industry and their future strategy. Final round was a mixed bag, in the end it came to screwing up one case study and therefore no job offer. If I had to do it over, I think I would have

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA (US)) in February 2011.

Interview

The interview process was set up via email with BCG. I had a first round interview scheduled and was informed beforehand that I would be interviews by 2 people that day. Additionally, each interview would also be case interviews where I would go through the analysis of a specific case study and formulate a final recommendation at the end.

The office in Boston is located at State Street and is an incredible building. The office was very open with a lot of open space as well as glass walls. When I arrived there was a room with water and breakfast items as well as someone from the company sitting in the waiting area conversing with you.

Both interviewers were very welcoming and friendly. The first case study was to analyze an internal problem regarding the sales of a specialty insurance company (ie. motorcycles, ATVs, jetskis, snowmobiles, etc.). I made it through the analysis with a hint from the interviewers and came to a viable conclusion. The second case study I forget. Overall, the case studies were very similar to those they provide on the BCG website.

Interview Questions

• What is the internal problem of an insurance company that has both automobile and specialty insurance. They are investing equal parts into both divisions, but the profit from specialties is not doing quite as well as automobile. The customers have no complaints with the service. The problem is internal within the company itself. Take a look at the compensation plan for the sales associates. The commissions for automobile insurance are twice that of specialty insurance.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA (US)) in September 2010.

Interview

2 cases on campus; 2 final round cases and 1 fit interview. Everyone was friendly, but that meant they let you keep on talking even if you were going in the wrong direction in the case. focus on the big picture don't go on tangents

Interview Questions

• Steel company is facing declining profits and thinking of acquiring a competitor. How would you evaluate the situation   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Washington, DC (US)) in November 2009.

Interview

Interviewed with BCG as part of on campus recruiting. Did my first round interviews at the Boston Office, met with two consultants, two standard case interviews that started first a little bit with behavioral (leadership experience, team work) from my resume, then a case with each of them. One of the cases involved looking for graphs, but you have to ask for them, so if you feel that you need data to solve the case, be sure to ask.

Second round interview in the DC office (your rank top 3 preferred office locations, they fly you to one of them). I had heard that BCG case interviews tended to be very structured with graphs and diagrams, but I got one very open-ended case that surprised me.

Interview Questions

• There is a medical company who have designed a treatment that appears to be cheaper and more efficient than existing methods, yet doctors are hesitant to use it. Why do you think that is?   Answer Question
    • A travel magazine is trying to decide whether to raise their prices. Do a back-of the envelope calculation for what this would mean to their business.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Atlanta, GA (US)) in October 2009.

Interview

The HR folks here are top notch, and they go out of their way to sell you on the interview experience. Absolutely best in class HR.

Phone screen interview was mostly behavioral and verification of background, experience, and general fit.

Two weeks later, was flown to the Atlanta office for a series of 4 1:1 interviews with directors/partners.
    Interviews here were case based and "think on your feet" type situations. The last interview was down right impossible as it was about an industry I knew nothing about. I thought I had completely bombed the interview, but ended up getting the offer.

Interview Questions

I took an offer with another management consulting firm.

Associate Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2008.

Interview

The initial interview consisted of discussions with two different consultants, both of which did a little behavioral interviewing and a little case interviewing. It was fairly run-of-the-mill-- exactly what they tell you about on consulting interview websites. It was extremely well organized and quick (maybe about an hour).

Interview Questions

• Give me a time when you had to make an unpopular decision.   Answer Question

Application

Interview

I was interviewed by their project leader. He was going to business school near my home town so we just talked a little for a while. Nothing serious. He seemed very smart (of course) and was one of the nicest interviewer I ever had. Then he gave me a case question based on my previous job. It was my first case interview and I completely blew it. But even though the interview did not go the way I wanted, the people there were really nice and I really would want to try again when I feel that I am ready.

Interview Questions

• How many hair salons are there in Japan?   3 Answers