Boston Consulting Group Data Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Boston Consulting Group Data Scientist Interview Questions

Interviews at Boston Consulting Group

3.5

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in March 2018.

Interview

I interviewed for a data scientist role at the Gamma Group. There were many individual interviews with recruiters, data scientists, a presentation, case studies, etc that spanned about 3 months.

On the whole, I could certainly understand why they would want to be thorough in their screening, but it's a lot of work on the interviewer and they made little to no accommodations for my schedule. In almost every interview, they would ask for my availability and then email me back later saying they needed to me interview at some other time that was difficult for me.

The data science project was straightforward but time consuming. They asked a lot of reasonable questions and wanted to see if you could present the topic to someone who was not necessarily technical.

For the most part, the interviews were straightforward and everyone was nice. The last person I talked to made a lot of strange faces during the video call and seemed to be in a bad mood and had some odd things to say about my personal life, which I thought was rude. This was the case study, but the format was very different from what was presented for practice online and he seemed to have no interest in going through the motions of it.

Overall, the process is long and most of the work makes sense, but they have little regard for their applicants. One unfortunate interview situation can invalidate the previous six over three months, and that's a lot of your time gone.

Interview Questions

• A straightforward but time consuming modeling project with presentation.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Los Angeles, CA (US)) in August 2017.

Interview

initial phone interview, followed by an 8 hour task to analyze a data set and report findings during the next webex interview.

The problem is that BCG does not respect your time during this process. First, the dataset provided had no 'solution'. They asked me to predict an outcome when the training data showed in every way that it was a randomly selected subset. Second, after providing a technical explanation of the work I did on the data set I was informed that they were simply testing me on presentation skills. I found that the interviewer is likely not interested in critical thinking or problem solving talent. Further, the interviewer refused to provide me with any insight into the data set I was tested with. That shows little respect for my time.
    In short, don't waste your time unless you really want to work with these guys. I don't. I'll stick with real Science!

Interview Questions

• Business knowledge and experience. Everything surrounded how well I would fit there line of thinking.   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in July 2017.

Interview

Screen with recruiter. Massive take home technical case, followed by a video interview where I presented on the case (the interviewer was not especially familiar with the case). Was told I'd be proceeding. That was followed by a frantic attempt by BCG to schedule more interviews for me (including an in-person). I gave them availability, and then they stopped replying to my emails. A couple of weeks later I got a form rejection. That stung a bit--the take home case was about 8 hours of work, and to not get thanked for my time after they selected another candidate (I presume, given the job posting is gone).

The case is basically a Kaggle problem, except you're supposed to make a presentation for a mock client. The case is kind of silly -- it's a churn problem with standard modeling issues -- categorical data, missing values, noise, a poorly defined objective, a poor data dictionary, etc. The data appeared artificial, and modeled decently but only with non-linear techniques--it looked like they had created the data that way (there was a massive gap between performance of linear and non-linear models, far above what you would see in a real dataset). They also set some traps in the questions they asked you, where you really need to think about what's useful to the client rather than answering an academic problem.

Interview Questions

• The annoying take home case (see description)   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA (US)) in May 2017.

Interview

I attended a school career fair and got contact information of an employee. So I asked him if he can refer me and he did. I got the first interview and it was an experience interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe a project that you have particular interests in, explain what you did and the results.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA (US)).

Interview

They messed up stress interview with the technical interview. I was asked to spend several days to finish an analytics case (a very simple case similar those in Kaggle) before the case interview. A junior interviewer from the BCG Gamma in Boston interviewed me. He was obsessed to play a tough 'CTO' of the client, although his understanding of Data Science stopped updating about 3 years ago. Sometime, he just didn't listen. When he realized his arguments were invalid, he was angry. In the end, I felt like that they were probably used the 'case interview' to collect some analytics notebooks for their daily works.

Interview Questions

• Your conclusion is totally wrong. It's a waste of time to read your report.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2018.

Interview

Took 2 months to get back after application. Sent a data science challenge on hackerrank.
    Given a dataset which we cannot even see properly on hackerrank, build 2 ML models and answer insight related questions within 2 hours. It made no sense. The dataset was in raw form (transaction level data), had to be studied and converted into features and target, split for training/testing and report accuracy. This is not how a data science task can be completed.

Interview Questions

• Given a dataset which we cannot even see properly on hackerrank, build 2 ML models and answer insight related questions within 2 hours. It made no sense. The dataset was in raw form, had to be studied and converted into features and target, split for training/testing and report accuracy. This is not how a data science task can be completed.   2 Answers

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in April 2018.

Interview

The interviewer asked a lot of technical questions for the data science project, which is clearly well designed to include many possible issues in real data set. Need a lot of hands on experience to perform well.

Interview Questions

• When does recall matter more, when does precision matter more.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

This was for a GAMMA Consultant position, which is for BCG's data science arm. Went through three rounds before getting cut:

1) Recruiter phone screen, which was very casual and low-key, mostly explaining background, fit, and a project on my resume.

2) Technical assessment, which was administered through HackerRank, composed of a series of programming exercises to pre-process data and train a model, as well as two ML / time series theoretical questions at the end.

3) Technical case interview via interview, with a GAMMA Data Scientist. The case can vary depending on the interviewer from what I heard.

Ultimately, I needed a lot of clarification in the case and was too slow on developing analytical solutions. GAMMA is looking for the best of best of quantitative minds as they are competing with QuantumBlack. Those skilled enough to get through the technical case move on to a business case, and then from there go on-site to either Boston or LA to do multiple rounds of additional technical/general case interviews. A very intensive process overall.

Interview Questions

• How do you diagnose poor lift performance on an SVM classifier?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA (US)) in November 2019.

Interview

Applied Online. Then got Virtual video interview. Guessing the next stages are phone interview and onsite with interviews being case-based and how to understand how to use data science techniques in the case.

Interview Questions

• 1.Describe your understanding of BCG Gamma in 3-5 sentences (who we are, what we do etc.) and what motivated you to apply

2. Describe the last analytical tool you taught yourself, why you chose it, how you taught yourself

3. Most complex and analytically challenging project you worked on. What were the results/insights? Impact of your solution? What did you enjoy most/least about it

4. Languages, packages, tools you're most comfortable with

5. Share a time when you were part of a highly successful team. What made it so successful?   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 10+ months. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in April 2018.

Interview

Data Scientist at BCG Gamma.
    Round 1 (Remote):
    - Technical Homework Case + Presentation to Consultant.
    - Classic Strategy Consulting Interview consisting of a business case and fit part
    Round 2 (On site):
    - 2 Partner interviews, could contain business cases, much of it was cultural fit
    - 2 Principal Data Scientist interviews, each contained a technical case.

Interview Questions

• Can you explain how this algorithm works? Estimate the cross-sell potential for this client. Take me through one of your projects.   4 Answers

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.