Boston Consulting Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Interviews at Boston Consulting Group

1,747 Interview Reviews

3.7

Associate Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2008.

Interview

I was interviewed by their project leader. He was going to business school near my home town so we just talked a little for a while. Nothing serious. He seemed very smart (of course) and was one of the nicest interviewer I ever had. Then he gave me a case question based on my previous job. It was my first case interview and I completely blew it. But even though the interview did not go the way I wanted, the people there were really nice and I really would want to try again when I feel that I am ready.

Interview Questions

• How many hair salons are there in Japan?   3 Answers

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singer, LA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Singer, LA (US)) in October 2009.

Interview

I was given 2 case interviews: one had a ton of numbers and one was pretty vague - so I would say get as much practice with different types of cases as possible.

People were very polite and friendly - none of my interviewers were especially mean to give me a hard time.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2009.

Interview

I interviewed with two individuals and each interview was about 45 minutes long, with 15 minutes dedicated to behavioral questions and the last 30 for the case study. One of my interviewers took me on a short tour of the office. In general, the case questions were quite difficult and involved quite a bit of information to mull over. I was frequently unsure which equation they wanted me to apply.

Interview Questions

• One of my interviewers asked me what I thought about the current economic crisis and how the administration was dealing with the issue.   Answer Question
    • One of my interviewers asked me about what economic philosophy I subscribed to.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Chicago, IL (US)) in October 2009.

Interview

First round interviews were on campus and consisted of two short case interviews -- one with a Consultant and one with a Partner. The Partner played bad cop, yawned, and shot down most responses. After surviving that round, the second round is three interviews at the office location of your preference with Partners. Generally these interviewers were friendly. Half the time was allotted for "fit" questions, and the rest for the cases. They got back to us about decisions that afternoon.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA (US)) in October 2009.

Interview

Two rounds of in-office case interviews, with fairly straightforward questions in the first round. Final round questions were significantly more open-ended and involved more creative and out-of-the-box thinking. Interviewers were generally very friendly and not confrontational or condescending at all. People were also extremely eager to talk about their work and experiences.

Interview Questions

• We are working with the Port Authority of a large city, who is trying to gain some information about the types and patterns of people entering and leaving the city. What should we look for, and what should we do?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Atlanta, GA (US)) in January 2008.

Interview

Case interviews with limited focus on behavioral fit until the very end

Interview Questions

• Typical business case questions (profit maximization, cost minimization, etc.)   1 Answer

Negotiation

None

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA (US)).

Interview

Resume drop then on campus interview - 2 cases (one on pharma and the other one I forgot). Call the next day about second rounds in office location. They paid for convenient flight and a SUPER nice hotel and were very accommodating for my schedule. 3 cases for final round (one on energy, one on the auto industry, and one on travel/tourism). I heard back the following Monday (I interviewed on Friday)

Interview Questions

• Client is a pharma company looking to enter the rare disease business and want to grow x percent (can't remember) in 5 years. Will they meet their targets?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY (US)) in October 2011.

Interview

3 Interviews

Interview Questions

• Presented Interviewees with graphs that we needed to analyze in a split second.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They were amazingly flexible and open--I was incredibly impressed.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY (US)) in July 2012.

Interview

Two rounds - first round included 2 interviews, both had 15 minutes of a fit interview and 30 minutes of a case interview. The cases themselves were straightforward. The interviewers at BCG are very friendly.

I didn't make it to round 2, unfortunately. I was told that I needed to be more creative with the use of frameworks. Didn't seem like a hard interview, but I guess they were expecting more in terms of how I approached the case.

Interview Questions

• Example of a time you had to lead a team with members who all wanted to go in different ways.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Washington, DC (US)).

Interview

People:
    BCG has very bright people, and they are not full of themselves. They are not cocky - that said, they are very cerebral (some call it academic). They are down to earth but still have a high sense of: "I really need to work super hard and get this done because so much is riding on it." But that's the nature of the business.

Office:
    DC Office was like a library. Very quiet. The analysts were boxed into a room with glass walls - they seemed like animals caged for the day. It was Friday, so most people were in jeans and a button-down. Still classy. People not too inclined to look up when I passed ... they were far too busy drooling, fixated on their computer screens.

Interview:
    I had two case interviews. Each one was from an industry that was part of my background. For example, let's say that I worked in a managerial role for a grocery store. Then the case would have focused on how to grow revenues at a grocery store. I hear that they ask this kind of case to make sure you didn't exaggerate your resume.

Interview Questions

• Questions were not bad at all. BUT one interviewer (who had an academic background, PhD, no MBA) jumbled a question. He wanted to know what other types of products a manufacturing company could produce. The answer was to add a brand new business line (doing service, not producing a product).

So make sure that you think through: "What is the interviewer REALLY looking for?"   Answer Question