Boston Consulting Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Interviews at Boston Consulting Group

1,921 Interview Reviews

3.7

Lead Machine Learning Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY (US)) in January 2020.

Interview

I applied to a position lower than the one I ended up being considered for so that I could avoid the travel component. The recruiter, who was super nice, professional, and knowledgeable, particularly relative to most other recruiters out there, said I'd be a better fit for either the Lead or Senior level. It sounded like what I wanted but included travel, so I went for it. We spoke on the phone twice for thirty minutes each time.

The first real round of the process is a two-hour (!) technical task with seven (!) questions. It's a HackerRank but it isn't live, although it should have been. Four multiple-choice questions about algorithms you probably haven't thought about in ages. Then three programming assessments.

The first one I would say was medium to difficult. Given a long integer, translate that to its Excel spreadsheet location, so for instance 0 = 1A, 702 = 1ZZ, 703 = 2A, and so on. I was able to get all of the tests to pass except for those relating to speed. But I had two more programming problems to do.

The third was definitely hard. You're an event coordinator and several companies want to come give presentations, for example the first one might come at 1pm and want to speak for two hours, the next might come at 3pm and want to speak for two hours, but a third might also want to come at 3 and speak for one hour, that sort of thing. Return the number of companies you can fit on the schedule. This one I almost had complete if I hadn't spent so much time on the second question, plus I ran out of time without submitting and I don't know if my work was automatically submitted. The recruiter never told me.

Now the second one, which was BEYOND hard. Some stock has X shares available for purchase. Given some set of bids, say which bidder won't be able to purchase any shares. It's sort of like a knapsack problem except you have to optimize such that the bidder making the highest bid is favoured but so is the bidder making the largest bid as well as the bidder making the earliest bid. Maybe I could have solved a problem major banks have been working to solve for hundreds of years if this was the only programming task I had been given. But this PLUS the other two?

About an hour later I received an automated message saying I had been rejected.

So now I have wasted three hours of my time plus been subjected to absurd, unrealistic expectations for a programmer at any level for a job I didn't even apply to. If you're looking for someone to do 50% programming, 50% client-facing project planning, exactly how does this assessment screen for any of this? Wouldn't you have preferred that I work with another team member on such problems, as that's what we'll be doing at a client site anyway?

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Atlanta, GA (US)) in January 2020.

Interview

Overall the hiring process was great until my final interview with the partner. He really didn't give me a lot of opportunity to demonstrate my skills and I feel like his questions were really out of left field. All my other interviews were extremely positive so my feeling is that his impression had a significant impact on the result of the interview.

The notification after the interview wasn't great. The recruiter called me in a rush to tell me I wasn't being extended an offer and was clearly in a hurry to get off the phone, even when I tried to ask about feedback. It took her a while to get back to me, but we had a fairly constructive conversation over a month after my final interview about how I could improve. Overall, I appreciate her time but it would've been helpful earlier on so I wasn't so far removed from the experience.

All in all, a good interview process and they do a lot to make you comfortable and the people are incredibly nice. Just be prepared for it to not go exactly as you expect, especially with the partners.

Interview Questions

• How should this company respond to their competitor's pricing change?   1 Answer

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

initial phone interview followed by first round - two interviews back to back in the office, interviewee leading heavy cases, did not get fit questions on impact or leadership so was surprised

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Atlanta, GA (US)) in January 2020.

Interview

Staff was friendly and information was provided about interviewers upon arrival. Associates greeted us. One of my interviewers was almost 30 minutes late and the front desk left before validating my parking - logistics could have been smoother. Feedback was not given if don't progress through next round, even though they pride themselves on feedback culture.

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA (US)) in January 2020.

Interview

First-round interview conducted over Skype with two consultants; 45 minutes back-to-back. Received a decision round notification the next business day. I flew to the office and met with two partners in a similar format to the first round. I received an offer the business day after my decision round. Overall, I had an extremely positive experience meeting with both consultants and partners.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY (US)) in January 2020.

Interview

A 45 minute conversation with general questions about work experience. The process was first a one on one interview followed by an invitation to a superday. Did not receive an offer.

Interview Questions

• General questions about experience, asked me to explain several projects I had on my resume, the rational behind the models I used. No real brainteaser questions which was much appreciated.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA (US)

Application

The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Philadelphia, PA (US)) in January 2020.

Interview

First round
    Two interview, both were friendly and polite
    Asked about recent news that interest me, focused on team and leadership fit question.
    Two cases-1 from public sector (which I totally flunked) and the other airline (which was fairly easier).
    Not too maths heavy but public sector one didnt make much sense to me. I recommend you practice one or two public sector cases.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2020.

Interview

Initially was pleasant experience. Most interviews were done via Webex with teams in remote locations. Then the overall process started to drag out many months and several rounds. Scheduling seemed chaotic and unorganized and disrespectful at times to the candidates availability. One of the interviewers answered their cell phone during the interview, asked odd questions, couldn’t provide clear answers on questions I asked and complained about a difficult colleague to name a few odd moments. After many months and after final stages an email was sent stating they would not be moving forward and with no feedback or explanation provided. Unprofessional and poor experience.

Interview Questions

• How would you influence a group on your recommendation?   Answer Question

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Chicago, IL (US)) in January 2020.

Interview

One round of behavior interview. The questions are accessed on a website, and the answer is self-recorded with time limits. Preparing for some common questions may be helpful, but the questions asked are not predictable.
    One round of code interview. This is done on a website as well. Technical skills are assessed, such as analysis and programming techniques.
    One round of tech case interview in which a case is given to find the solution. The focus is not the final answer, but rather the way and process of problem solving.
    And one round of on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• Given a scenario, using the data to construct the model to find the answer.   1 Answer

Principal Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Jersey City, NJ (US)) in December 2019.

Interview

Initial screening interview
    Multiple rounds of case interview over phone. Each case interview describes the case and then the interview asked multiple questions about the case.
    two in person Case interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe your current role
      Why do you want to leave the current job   Answer Question