Boston Consulting Group Junior Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Boston Consulting Group Junior Consultant Interview Questions

Interviews at Boston Consulting Group

3.7

Junior Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2011.

Interview

it was the usual case interview process. supposedly they would fly you out later, depending on your geographic preference and it's most likely very standardized for this position. i didn't make the first round....

Interview Questions

• Case studies are like exams, but nothing really unexpected.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Junior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA (US)) in November 2013.

Interview

BCG held a booth at a Job Fair where I dropped off my resume. I was later called back for a 20 minutes informal interview with one of the partners.

Junior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY (US)) in September 2013.

Interview

First interview is diveded in three parts plus a test. First you have to talk about yourself, then solve a case and then you can ask questions about the company. Afterwards you have to do a numerical test. The test is standard, you can find this kind of tests all over the internet.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (London, England) in November 2014.

Interview

The interview was held at London's office and comprised of some competency based questions and 2 Case Studies. I found the whole process to be quite unpleasant, because the interviewers were somewhat rude. During the case studies, I got the impression as if I was talking to myself, the interviewer in front of me had a 'poker face' and didn't show any emotions. Very unfriendly atmosphere.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to join BCG and not other top consulting firms?   Answer Question

Junior Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

I received an invitation 2 and a half months after my application and was invited to attend two days later. The test was divided in two multiple choice parts: one based on maths skills, the other on logical skills. Time was limited, you had to think quickly and pick the right answer. The logical test was pretty difficult and was similar to GMAT. Having practiced or taken the GMAT exam in the past is very helpful.

Interview Questions

• Understand the logical flow of a process based on traffic lights and understand why and where the process was wrong based on what was written   Answer Question

Junior Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

I interviewed at BCG London as a PhD in November-December 2014.

First round: 1 case interview (45min) 1 written numeracy test (45min)
    Second round: 2 case interviews (45min each) rather quantitative
    Final round: 2 partner interviews (45 min each), more focus on business understanding, communication, career motivations.

My BCG case interviews were structured as follows: 15 min of "fit" questions (focussed mainly on discussing examples of leadership and teamwork), 25 min of a case study (expect to be given exhibits at some point in the case in the first two rounds, as in an interviewer-led case), and 5 minutes to ask questions. All cases presented are based on actual engagements your BCG interviewer participated in. They thus know every aspect of the case, which makes the interview very interesting, and it also means you might want to ask your interviewer about how her or his team approached the problem at the time.

The recruitment staff was very dedicated, professional, friendly and helpful. Interviewers were friendly too, and very sharp as you would expect. Minutes before your interviews, you will given an enveloppe giving a little bibliography of your interviewer. This is the occasion to anticipate on the question you might want to ask her or him, more than trying to guess what your case will be about.

In terms of average success rates, I would say that about 7% of applicants receive an invitation to the first round, about 50% of them make it to the second round (which I found surprising), and another 40% are selected to the final round. At this stage, this means that about 80-90 candidates remain in the game, which is less than 2% of the initial application pool.

In the final round, it seems that if you are brilliant in the two interviews you are basically offered a position (hence there is no quota applied as in previous rounds), so the number of offers varies, but it seems to be around 25-35 offers in the recent years (in London).

Interview Questions

• What do you fail at doing in your job/studies?   1 Answer

Junior Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

3 interviews in the first round, with 1 principal, 1 senior consultant and 1 consultant. The formats were the same for all, 10 mins or so of competency questions then a case the consultant had done before. Two of the interviewers were very nice, one was relatively pushy (more challenging on the answers and thought processes) and slightly less responsive. The HR lady promised feedback after delivering the outcome, but never did and was not contactable by phone or email. Good experience overall until the HR lady disappeared.

Interview Questions

• One pricing case, one supply chain case and one profit case   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (London, England) in November 2015.

Interview

Standard test followed by case studies. The test only consisted of numerical questions - I found it relatively easy compared to some other firms. It was negatively marked. The interview was the standard first half a CV and general business experience chat followed by a case study in the second half.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me about one time when you have failed at something and what did you do about it?   Answer Question

Junior Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2016.

Interview

Telephone-interview (Frankfurt-Munich). The interviewer was late, 30 min(!). A young consultant, under a lot of pressure and lacking empathy, bad combination... First, 20 min questions about CV and leadership/team-work, then I was asked to solve a case study over the phone, a candidate-led one, it was very challenging. Despite all the money BCG is investing in creating the image of a peoples´ creativity and leadership oriented company (YouTube channel, TEDtalks, etc), the interview felt more like a standardized test, either you fit in the mold or you´re out, disappointing...

Interview Questions

• What do you feel most proud of? Characteristics of a leader? Teamwork? Case-study: LED producer for the car industry, calculate market size and growth.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (London, England) in December 2015.

Interview

After submitting my application I received the interview invitation soon. The process involved two interviews, each consisted of two face-to-face case study and personal interviews and one computer-based case study.

Interview Questions

• The personal interview involved questions like, which is your biggest achievement, describe an incident with conflict, describe an incident where you had to show your leadership skills, why are you leaving academia (I had just finished my PhD) for consulting? After that, there was a case study. I did not get to the next stage mainly because this was my second interview and I did not have the experience to structure my answers in the case study (this was my feedback, I needed more practice). It is all about practice...the more case studies you practice, the better the chances.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.