Bristol City Council Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Interviews at Bristol City Council

3.1

Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bristol City Council (Bristol, England).

Interview

Strict competency interview with panel, with panel scribbling throughout + written test. No opportunity to expand on answers; hurried along; 2/3 interviewers clearly not interested; felt very much as though they were interviewing because they had to.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your local authority experience   1 Answer

Help Desk Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Bristol City Council (Bristol, England) in February 2013.

Interview

I was engaged via Randstad Staffing Agency, who are this council's preferred employment agency.
    I attended an informal interview, where I was told the requirements of this job, and I was able to ask questions about the company, and the work environment.

Interview Questions

• I was asked if I could deal with difficult callers, who could sometimes be rude and unpleasant.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There wasn't one. I was told the salary at the interview, and I was happy with it.

Business Support Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Bristol City Council (Bristol, England) in May 2015.

Interview

First you attend a test centre where you are tested on skills such as excel, minute and taking. After you're successful you then invited to an interview. This is the final stage of the selection process.

Interview Questions

• How would you communicate/work with someone who is deaf?   Answer Question

Digital Engagement Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bristol City Council (Bristol, England) in March 2019.

Interview

The interview lasted about 40 minutes and consisted of standard questions, mostly clearly relating to the job. However, candidates were also expected to give a presentation, and instructions about this had been included in an attachment to the email which invited me for interview. There was no reference to the presentation, or to the attachment, in the body of the email message. It was clear that I was not the only candidate who had overlooked this (many attachments in messages I receive are logos or other 'footer' type material, or simply duplicate the content of the body of the message, so I have come to ignore them unless specifically referred to them).

I was told it was 'fine' to omit the presentation, but it clearly wasn't, and I think I would have had a much better chance of success if I had given one. In fact if a number of candidates fell into this trap, it would have been better for them to have been invited back for a rearranged session in front of at least some of the panel, rather than risk losing someone with good presentation skills.

I have learnt my lesson and will now look at all attachments in important messages. (Indeed the following month an email inviting me to interview at Bath University made the same mistake, and this time I was prepared!) But I found it ironic that the email message about a job concerned with communication should itself be so poor at communicating what was required at interview. I suspect it is yet another example of how human resources departments call the shots, in this case by setting a fixed template for the text of interview invitations, rather than letting the interview panel write the instructions. As a result candidates who might have shone at the presentation exercise could have been missed.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of when you have had control over a budget.   1 Answer
    • How would you ensure digital communications were accessible to a diverse audience?   1 Answer

Assistant Housing Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Bristol City Council (Bristol, England) in November 2015.

Interview

I applied in October and got a response on an interview in November.The interview consisted of 5 face to face questions. I was then taken into an office where I had 30 minutes to complete a written exercise.There were a series of questions to complete. This consisted of typing a letter on Word and then completing an exercise on Excel.Knowledge on how to Excel is beneficial.

Interview Questions

• Q: How would you handle confidential information,both paper and electronic?   Answer Question

Street Naming and Numbering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bristol City Council (Bristol, England) in August 2015.

Interview

I had a half an hour written test and half an hour interview. The half hour test was consisted of problem solving - e.g how much would you charge a developer's SNN application for a building with 14 flats. They have provided the costs for flats/houses

Interview Questions

• I was asked to describe how I handled a difficult situation?   Answer Question

Library Stock Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bristol City Council.

Interview

Applied online, three weeks after the application deadline closed I was offered a job interview for the following week. The interview was with two people and I was asked six questions overall.

Interview Questions

• What do you think makes a good library? How do you make them accessible for everyone?   Answer Question
    • Give an example of a time you've completed clerical duties.   Answer Question
    • Give an example of a time when you've worked in a team.   Answer Question
    • Name a time that you've worked using your own initiative and when you've gone to a manager for help when appropriate.   Answer Question
    • Do you have any experience manually handling heavy things?   Answer Question
    • What one book would you take with you to a desert island, and why?   Answer Question

Business Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bristol City Council (Bristol, England) in September 2019.

Interview

Quick basic test, using excel to cross reference data then 6 interview questions to find out about my skills and experiences to help suit me to the role. All staff seemed very friendly.

Interview Questions

• How the council may face issues of diversity in the workplace?   Answer Question

Senior Customer Service Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bristol City Council (Bristol, England) in July 2018.

Interview

A formal interview. Competency interview questions then practice customer service difficult customer telephone calls. They want you to answer in terms of how this effect the business and the customer.

Interview Questions

• What does diversity and equality mean to you?   1 Answer
    • How is teamwork important?   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.