British Gas Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

British Gas Interview Questions

Updated 24 Nov 2017

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at British Gas (Philadelphia, PA (US)) in April 2016.

Interview

easy and to the point, started with a phone interview eventually leading to a conversation with the hiring manager where we talked about what should i expect while i was going to spend my time in an office and on the gas plant, schedules and responsibilities

Interview Questions

• why i felt i was capable to endure office and field work   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at British Gas in June 2014.

Interview

You apply - then if selected complete some tests online, if successful schedule a telephone interview and role play. If successful you reach the final stage interview. Good set up

Interview Questions

• Give an example of when you have given excellent customer service   1 Answer

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at British Gas (Manchester, England) in October 2017.

Interview

1. Online Application
    2. Telephone Interview
    3. Role Play
    4. Assessment Centre
    5. Job Offer

Online application - Apply online, submit your CV and complete an online test that included a timed maths section (8 minutes to answer 10 questions) the other section(s) was based on your personality.

Telephone Interview - You receive an e-mail saying you had progressed to the phone interview. You login to their online system and book a time for the phone interview that is convenient for you. There were maybe 5 questions including what do you know about British Gas and why do you want to work for British Gas. Then, there's a game in which you have to ask questions & use the answers to those questions to guess the object that the recruiter has in her hand. I failed the section miserably. I wasn't expecting that game, I asked 3 questions and my mind went blank. They put you on hold and come back with an outcome.

Role Play- Self explanatory. They send you the information/script for the role play at the time they tell you that you're successfully moving onto the role play. You usually have to do 2 role plays, I only had to do 1.

Assessment Centre - There were 4 of us. There was a 20-30 minute presentation by someone from the recruitment department that discusses the role, benefits, company values etc.

After the presentation you have to do a correspondence test. You have to type an e-mail response to a customer. They hand you a fake initial e-mail from a customer for you to respond to.

After the correspondence test you tour the call centre floor.

Finally, there's the interview. It's a one on one interview with a manager (they DO NOT have control over hiring decisions). There were maybe 3 or 4 questions. The questions are based off the answers that you used in your initial application. I thought my interview went quite bad even though the interviewer was nice.

They tell you they'll contact you within a week. They contacted me exactly one week after my interview and made me a conditional job offer. So, assuming my credit & background checks come up good (which they should) I'll begin work next month. Also, I applied for the CSA Apprenticeship as I had saw the listing for that before I saw the CSA job listing. However, pay is still the same, as is the training.

**Don't be too hard on yourself when applying. I thought I was going to fail the phone interview when it came time to play that silly game that I was unprepared for as nobody had mentioned that online. However, the recruiter tells you not to worry too much about that. I still passed that section. My role play was excellent. At the assessment centre I think my correspondence task was pretty okay but my interview could've went waayy better. I left BG thinking my chances were 50/50 thanks to that interview. And I was almost certain I didn't get the job.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for British Gas?   1 Answer
    • What do you know about British Gas?   Answer Question
    • Can you think of a time you had to make a good first impression, how did you do this?   Answer Question

Digital Team Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Staines, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at British Gas (Staines, England).

Interview

3 rounds:
    - 1st telephone with interim manager
    - Online Personality Test
    - 2nd F2F with interim Manager and his replacement

Although the interim manager was leaving before this role would have started, they still lead the interview making for an odd situation. This meant his replacement failed to show leadership or communicate their management style or vision for the role and his team.

I was declined the position due to a lack of core expertise - they failed to ask me about this during either interview stage (they would have discovered it is extensive); it wasn't mentioned as a core requirement in the JD or mentioned in the overview of the role otherwise I myself may have communicated this also.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a project you've worked on that has failed and what you've learnt from that.   Answer Question

Billing Analyst Interview

Interview

really easy interview with below par recruitment agency. No in-depth questioning and they obviously had authority to simply fill the seats.
    Little / no prep needed for the interview and the role is not hard

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at British Gas.

Interview

I have already worked for British Gas and the hiring process has changed a lot since 3 years ago.
    Filled out online application, booked in for a telephone interview 2 days later. Questions I got asked are included. Interviewer was really nice and easy to talk to. They let you know after the interview if you passed and moved on to the next stage.
    I'm now booked into the assessment centre which is 3.5 hours in total and will be with other people. It will include 2 role plays with a manager, listening to a call and discussing within the group and a one-on-one interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time you had to make a decison based on complex information   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time you had to persuade someone who wasn't easily convinced?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for British Gas?   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when you fulfilled something for the greater Good?   Answer Question

Smart Energy Expert Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at British Gas (Leeds, England).

Interview

Online application followed by logic reasoning test, literacy and numeracy tests.
    If successful; phone interview then face to face interview followed by group interaction test and practical (wiring) test, driving theory test required if successful

Interview Questions

• Group discussion was on 'how to save the customer money' using BG knowledge and customer information how would you save customer money on their energy bills.   1 Answer

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Interview

Did online application process. Lengthy with a numerical test and 4 200 word competences. Got an email a few weeks later saying I got through to a phone interview. The phone interview is based on myself and my experience in customer service. Expect 2 situational questions about this. Then a day later i got through to another phone interview based on myself playing a role of the advisor and the interviewer the role of customer. Basically you get emailed a scenario beforehand and you have to follow script but make sure you have a good telephone manner and give the correct info. I got invited to an assessment day the day after with 2 other candidates. First we had to respond to an email from a customer using microsoft word. Then a one on one interview with a floor manager. Then the 3 of us listened to a recorded phone call from a customer and discussed it in front of 4 managers. I was very positive about how the day went as ive done this sort of thing a few times and got offered positions plus my experience in customer service. I was told I would hear back the day after or at least the start of the week and the manager insisted they phone us whether we were successful or not. Its been 8 days now ans have not heard anything or had any response to an email I sent enquiring about my application, which leads me to think I havent got the job. I will leave it until next week but a bit disappointed that there has been no communication espescially from such a big company

Commercial Forecast Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Staines, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at British Gas (Staines, England) in June 2017.

Interview

One in-person interview at their offices in Staines. Pretty relaxed environment, typical interview questions and a competency based test. Nothing out of the ordinary, just know your stuff about the company and all will be good.

Interview Questions

• Give us an example where you faced down difficulties. How did you react and why?   Answer Question

Smart Energy Expert Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at British Gas.

Interview

Online assessment. Telephone interview. Assessment day. Waiting now for over 6 months to hear back even though I am supposed to be accepted. Still being strung along and waiting with no contact

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.