CPP Investments Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

CPP Investments Interview Questions

Interviews at CPP Investments

2.8

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CPP Investments.

Interview

First round interview on the phone. Standard behavioral questions. Then invited to an in person interview. Asked me about my experience with financial reporting + behavioral questions. Also asked some technical questions related to accounting.

Associate Interview

Interview

Screening call from HR followed by two rounds. First round had two interviews - one was with HR and the other one was a case interview. Second round had one fit interview. Case interview included 3-4 questions related to the team. Balance sheet data was provided.

Interview Questions

• What are three qualities that set you apart from other candidates?   Answer Question

Senior Associate Interview

Interview

The interview process had two rounds. First round consisted of two 30-minute interviews (mix of behavioral and technical) and the second round consisted of four 45-minute interviews: behavioral, two technical and case. In every interview, the last ~10 minute were allocated to ask questions so make sure you have them prepared (PE guides give a good range of questions you can ask).

On the behavioral side, the questions seemed straightforward, with the interviewer stressing to use the word “I” rather than “we” to showcase your individual contributions. Questions included:
    Tell me about a time when you had to implement a new procedure or processes.
    Tell me about a time when you worked in a team to complete a goal.
    Tell me about a time when you mediated a conflict.
    Tell me about a time when you performed over and beyond what was required.

On the technical side, first round interviews required you to value either a restaurant or a stand-alone branch of a popular coffee chain in a popular location. You had to estimate the P&L, then state how much you would pay for this, how much debt would you put on the company and then what would be your IRR. I would recommend being aware of both EBITDA / Net income % in key industries as well as multiples paid to answer these types of questions well.

In addition, first round asked basic PE questions: why PE companies use EV / EBITDA, why some companies with the same EBITDA and Revenues in the same industry trade at different multiples.

Second round, was much harder and the interviewers appeared less friendly and significantly less enthusiastic about interviewing you. Questions included:
    Why investing?
    What do you do in your free time that showcases your interest in PE?
    What would you recommend we invest in?
    Tell me about [name of a nascent industry / product]. What do you think about it?

The case was sent via e-mail and you had 48 hours to create a presentation and the model. The times when you were sent the case were not flexible.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to implement a new procedure or processes.
      Tell me about a time when you worked in a team to complete a goal.
      Tell me about a time when you mediated a conflict.
      Tell me about a time when you performed over and beyond what was required.
      Why investing?
      What do you do in your free time that showcases your interest in PE?
      What would you recommend we invest in?
      Imagine we got an offer from a banker to invest in a specialty retailer. What data would you look at? What questions would you ask your consultant / banker on the deal?   Answer Question

Portfolio Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at CPP Investments (Boston, MA (US)) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied through my graduate school's career website and had two interviews with senior portfolio managers in the External Portfolio Management group. Both were positive and not too technical. However, in the last interview there arose an issue regarding visa: as I was not a UK national and did not have a UK working visa, they said they could not sponsor one for a non-Canadian. After that, I was informed that my application had been declined (about a week or two after that interview).

Interview Questions

• Q: Please walk me through your résumé and explain how your past experience could be useful for the work that we are doing here.   1 Answer

Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CPP Investments.

Interview

I Applied online after publication of job opportunity on my university site. At the third appointement they managed to call me at the time they set. The interviewer was however very kind. The questions were very standard, basically on motivations and on the activity of their company. The overall recruiting process was very fast that is positive after all.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CPP Investments (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in February 2020.

Interview

The people interviewing are very nice and welcoming. Didn't feel pressure to answer my questions instantly. There were a few case studies but the interviewers helped walk through the questions.

Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CPP Investments.

Interview

Applied online and got an email from the recruiter fast in just two days. And that was it after close to 3 weeks a mail stating not going ahead. Similar experience a year back where I was told someone identified internally. Not sure if they really hire people who apply from outside the organization or if someone can really get hired even he/she doesn't have any strong connection inside the organization.

Interview Questions

• I was told my skills and experience fits very well to role. I was just asked to walk through my profile.   1 Answer

Intern Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at CPP Investments.

Interview

Two round interview. First-round with Manager and HR, second-round with the supervisor. At their location, and you may not have breaks between the interviews.

Interview Questions

• Why CPPIB? Go through Resume (you need to know your resume well and being able to talk about everything you have on the resume).   Answer Question

Senior Analyst, Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CPP Investments (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in November 2019.

Interview

Applied online and get invited for an interview after 2 weeks. This is the first round last for 30 mins. I interviewed with the hiring manager and HR. HR is very nice and provides a lot of information in the beginning. They are hiring more than 2 people to join.

The hiring manager knows a lot about my current job. He just kept digging into my experience and knowledge. For everything I talked about, he always questions it and doesn't appreciate it. And he likes to say something wrong or tricky and ask you it is correct? He likes to stop you and ask questions. I can't even introduce myself properly in the beginning. probably he likes to give you pressure and see how you respond. I just get discouraged at the end because feels like he wants to end the interview asap. 1-2 behaviors from HR and others are about my current job.

Interview Questions

• Asked previous relevant experiences including my role, background of the project etc.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CPP Investments.

Interview

resume drop, straight to in person interview with hiring manager and HR, bad experience because hiring manager was skeptical of my ability to speak a second language even though I reiterated many times I had native fluency

Interview Questions

• What are your biggest weaknesses? tell me about yourself, tell me about an issue in the econonic world   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.