Cambridge University Press Editorial Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Cambridge University Press Editorial Assistant Interview Questions

Interviews at Cambridge University Press

Editorial Assistant Interview

Interview

The interview process consisted of an initial in-person screening by the hiring manager which was to be followed by longer in-person interviews for those who made it to the next round. The questions were nothing out of the ordinary,

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Cambridge University Press

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge University Press (Cambridge, England) in January 2018.

Interview

The closing date for applications was at the beginning of the month, and it stated on the advert that interviews would be held during one particular week. Once that week came and went I assumed I hadn't got through to the interview, but I did receive an invite the week after. This surprised me and I am still not sure why they decided to interview me so late, but my best guess is it was to fulfil their quota or other requirements to show they had considered "all candidates". The interview was fairly straightforward, only 40 minutes with a panel and it was very comfortable. They asked the questions they had on paper but also went into a chat with me about the CMS I use in my current job and whether I thought it was good or not. I thought the interview went well but when I hadn't heard back from them the next working day I knew I wasn't receiving an offer. They emailed me three working days after the interview with a template about how the successful candidate had a "better skill set suited to the position".

Thinking back on it, it is very clear that the hiring managers will have decided who they wanted before they interview anyone, or at the very least before the interviewed me. The competition for an Editorial Assistant role at Cambridge University Press is so high and it seems there will always be someone better than you. I wouldn't recommend applying or attending an interview unless you have at least 3-4 years experience in a similar role, unfortunately I took a day's holiday from my current job to attend an interview for a role I was never going to get.

Interview Questions

• How did you prepare for the interview?   Answer Question
    • Give an example of a time when you showed good customer service skills   Answer Question
    • What challenges do you think you might come across in this role?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge University Press (Cambridge, England) in November 2016.

Interview

I submitted an online application and was contacted a week later via email offering me an interview with the Managing Editors. The interview went well and I enjoyed meeting them both, I was extremely nervous and I do go blank sometimes but they put me at ease. A week later I was invited to another interview which again lasted an hour, but before this I had to complete a test online which was then discussed during the interview. Another week went by before I heard from them informing me that I had not been chosen, I was gutted but I was given some excellent feedback which has helped boost my confidence in other interviews I have gone to since.

The only thing I would say that CUP need to improve on is contacting the recruitment department, if I needed to contact them I had to go through CUP general call center which can entail a waiting time. I think they should create a separate line for applicants to use in case of emergencies.

Editorial Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge University Press in April 2016.

Interview

Application with CV and cover letter into online portal. I was invited to interview about three weeks after applying online. Next stage was a 40 minute interview and 10 minute exercise afterwards.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cambridge University Press (Cambridge, England) in April 2015.

Interview

Following my application I had a 25 min telephone interview, mainly discussing some specific aspects of my CV and some of the most relevant job requirements. At the end of this, there was time for some of my own questions. A couple of days later I was invited to a face-to-face interview (1 h long) at CUP which took place a week later. The interview panel (two people) was very welcoming and the overall atmosphere was quite relaxed, so it quickly turned into more of a good conversation than an uptight interview situation. This was followed by a task of 1 hour duration.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever been in a situation where you had to talk to an expert about a topic which you had no previous knowledge about, and if so, how did you deal with that?   1 Answer
    • Do you feel comfortable talking to experts about topics which you don't have much previous knowledge about?   1 Answer
    • How would you go about finding suitable candidates for an editorial board?   Answer Question
    • How would you identify potential topics for a new journal (STM)?   Answer Question
    • Do you feel comfortable communicating with a wide range of people (colleages, external experts) via e-mail, the phone and/or face-to-face?   Answer Question

Editorial Assistant Interview

Interview

The interview process was an intense one--meeting with four different people. They were looking for someone who'd be good at the editorial side of things, but also someone with experience in and passion for education.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected questions had to do with my ideas about creating educational material, like what videos, songs, etc. would I draw from?   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.