Capital One Business Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Capital One Business Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Capital One

3.4

Business Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA (US)) in November 2019.

Interview

I received an employee referral. Talked to the recruiter who was awesome, 3 week later, I had a phone interview which was a basic case interview. 4 weeks later, I had the power day interview at Capital One HQ. Consisted of a 2 case interviews (each kicked off with a stereotypical interview question to get a better, human feel on the person) and then a case. The cases were tougher than the phone case but not impossible. Also had 1 product interview that was just brainstorming and talking things out. Went to lunch with some analysts and then after, I was told to go back to the interview room. HR came in and asked I stay for a case in the afternoon (good sign if you are asked to stay in the afternoon). Brought in a high level guy who did another stereotypical interview question and then a brutal case. That was the make or break case.

Interview Questions

• Stereotypical interview questions kicked off each case.   Answer Question
  • 2 tough cases but not impossible; afternoon case was brutal   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Business Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA (US)) in January 2019.

Interview

The application process is rigorous compared to other large financial institutions for similar roles.

Aside from the typical Recruiter, HR, and hiring manager interviews these are a few of the important steps in the process:

Verbal/Numeric Reasoning Test. These tests are non-intuitive and in my opinion were kind of tricky. Especially because you don't know if you pass or fail. They just tell you if you score was high enough to be considered as a candidate for a position at the company. Your recruiter will send you some resources to prepare for this, and I suggest that you take advantage of that.

Business Case Studies. You must pass 3 cases (1 over the phone, and 2 in person during the power day). The cases require you to solve real math and arrive at the correct answer. It's not just a theoretical "what if". You will typically have to solve problems about weighted average, break even, and profitability. You will be allowed to use blank paper and a calculator. The math is easy but the way the questions are asked can be confusing. The most difficult piece is understanding what they are asking and how to convert the units of the given information. For example, the question may provide you hourly wage rates, weekly expenses, and monthly revenue, and you will have to calculate the profitability over a 2-year period. So, you will have to convert your inputs to the same unit (e.g. yearly).
    Here are the most important things can I say about the case interviews:

1. Watch the example case video demonstration. That video is basically exactly how you should perform in a case study.
    2. Talk out loud with the interviewer about how you intend to solve the problems and your thought process. While it’s important to solve the math correctly, the most important thing is that you think critically and map out your approach.
    3. Always repeat the question back to the interviewer and make sure you understand what they are asking.
    4. After you understand the question, take some time to collect your thoughts and write down some bullet points on your paper before continuing to solve the question. They fully expect you to do this. Don’t be afraid to remain silent for as much as 30 seconds while you make sure that you have everything required to answer the question. Don’t feel awkward doing this, it will be considered as a positive.
    5. Be very verbose in solving the equations on your scratch paper. Write out every step, and don’t skip anything. The reason this is important is that many of the follow up question require you to change steps in the middle. For example, they may ask you the impact of changing the hourly wage rate for 30% of the workforce, so you will need to be able to go back to prior steps and change variables.
    6. If you get stuck or feel like you can’t solve something, don’t panic. It’s okay. The interviewer will try to redirect you if they see you are going down the wrong path. If they are quiet, then you are probably on the right path. But if they interrupt you to ask why you are solving something in a certain way that is a good indication that you are going down the wrong path.
    7. Practice. I practiced many hours preparing for these cases. Freshen up those algebra skills and practice algebra word problems online. This will help you in converting the verbal statements into equations. In total you can expect to spend as much as 20-40 hours in preparing for the cases.

Product Case Study. This is a case regarding a product or a service. This case doesn’t require any math but is more of a conceptual one. Be prepared to talk about a product, the market for it, how to improve it, etc. I didn’t prepare as much for this one, as it is much more intuitive than the business case studies.

If you know anyone in Capital One that is already a Business Analyst, you should reach out to them and ask if they will help you with some tips or prepare for the cases. This was very helpful for me personally and helped me understand what is expected.

General Notes. Capital One thinks of itself not as a bank but as a technology company. They are very focusing on innovation and new ideas. So, if you can give examples in your interviews about how you have used technology to help customers or to solve a problem that will be great. It is also a company that values diversity in opinions and backgrounds.

Interview Questions

• Can you give an example of when you went out of your way to help someone?   2 Answers

Business Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

For the in person interview, had 2 case interviews. The first one, the interviewer was helpful, and would provide feedback as i engaged the questions. In the second interview, the , interviewer ignored my probing questions, and just stared at me. The case study was about credit card profitability.

Business Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One in February 2018.

Interview

3 interviews- one product, and two cases. The cases were very similar to the phone screening interview. There is no reason to prepare for the product interview because there is no right way to answer it.

Business Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Recruiter set up a time with the manager. We talked about my current responsibilities, what tools I used and how I leveraged analytics. It was an overall nice conversation and I felt like the role was an exact fit for my skillet. Not sure why I was turned down for a follow up.

Business Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX (US)) in December 2017.

Interview

Phone interview was scheduled at first, then postponed by a week. The Hiring Manager started the phone conversation saying that the HR personnel didn't send her my resume and so the questions would be just random and not structured. She started asking irrelevant questions and I was done.

Shabby preparation on their part

Business Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Capital One in September 2017.

Interview

I looked at the position on linkdin and recruiter approached me to set up interview. First call was with Recruiter which was normal resume related question. Then She set up first phone interview with Capital One manager. It was case interview

Interview Questions

• First question was general asking about my background and experience   1 Answer
    • There is an apartment building that you purchased recently for 10 million. You paid 20% as down payment and rest 80% is through mortgage loan. There are 100 apartments in the building. There are certain % of appt. which are open. What are the important things you need to know to make decision that this investment is worth and how much rent should be?   1 Answer
    • If we assume 80% of the apartments are occupied. There is fixed cost of 400,000 per year and variable cost is 10% of rent. Mortgage payment is $50,000 per month. What should be the rent if we want to have 10% return on investment   2 Answers
    • Based on City requirement the max rent allowed is $1200. In that case what would you do?   1 Answer
    • Keeping $1200 rent if we want to still make 10% return on investment. what should be the occupancy rate?   4 Answers
    • If you have two option which one you would choose if both have same return on investment ? Keeping $1200 rent with lower occupancy rate or decreasing the rent but have higher occupancy rate   Answer Question

Business Manager Interview

Interview

Had a phone call with the recruiter to find out your location and division preferences. This is followed by a phone case interview. If you pass the phone case interview, they invite you for an on-site interview which consists of 2 interviews with a behavioral question and a case. They provided the calculator and sheets of paper and each one has a one-hour time allocation but I finished earlier than an hour.

Business Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA (US)) in July 2017.

Interview

One of the most structured interviews I have ever gone through. Had an initial phone screen, followed by a phone case and finally I had 2 behavioral + case interviews on power day. After the interviews, we, 5 candidates, had lunch with an one of their associates on campus.

Interview Questions

• You're hired as a consultant by Board of directors of an ISP to (a) assess whether their operations are profitable (b) how they can improve their profitability   Answer Question
    • The bank wants to expand its ATM network, and wants you to assess whether they should move forward with this decision and where to put their ATMs in terms of location. ATM profitability.   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when you failed and learned from this experience   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when you accomplish something that you're proud of   Answer Question

Business Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA (US)) in July 2017.

Interview

Applied before but was rejected by the system even though the job was very closely related to my old role. Tailored my resume with keywords from the posting and got an email requesting for interview the next day. One phone interview and a "super day" on campus interview in Richmond. Overall experience was stressful due to traveling and back to back case study questions.

Interview Questions

• Calculating profit rate of ads and the break even point. One was about interest rate.   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.