Capital One Data Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Capital One Data Scientist Interview Questions

Interviews at Capital One

3.1

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Capital One in December 2017.

Interview

They sent an email which had a data challenge about NYC Taxi data. You need to download the data and analyze it following the questions. There are four easy questions and chose one from some hard questions.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Data Scientist Interview

Interview

I applied Capital One on career fair and received a coding challenge email several weeks later. It's about New York City Taxi. Then I went to their office at Plano. People were very nice there. Unfortunately, no offer.

Interview Questions

• How do you persuade others?   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One in August 2017.

Interview

First phone screen with recruiter
    Hacker rank challenge
    Dataset challenge
    One phone call interview where it is more of Data Science and Machine Learning questions
    Onsite interviews: Case interview, Behavioural Interview, Data Science Role play interview

Interview Questions

• Be prepared for Case interview   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA (US)) in October 2017.

Interview

Process took me 1 month. HR contacted me via Phone. First was Telephonic Interview. After that screening they gave me Data Challenge. After that On-Site Interview. It had 3 different rounds including Case Interview, Behavioural Interview plus Role play interview. HR was nice and all the instructions and arrangements were great. May be I didn't performed well in Case Interview (first time experience with cases). Every arrangement and facilities were great! Good people with good hospitality. The position and role of data scientist intern is quite interesting at Capital one. Must apply if you qualify for the same.

Interview Questions

• Capital one wanna launch Insurance policy, One policy for all and you're the manager and you're gonna analyse that whether you should grant policy/approve policy by looking at death chances of each individual. How you gonna do this process as a manager by collaborating with your data science team?   2 Answers

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (San Antonio, TX (US)) in October 2016.

Interview

behavioral-- same question like they give, case same case they will given in email, and character--focus on professional skills. The lunch is included and good. And there is a campus tour that worker there will tell you their life in that campus.

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (Seattle, WA (US)) in June 2017.

Interview

HR, HackerRank and phone. They rejected me after the phone interview. It was not a difficult interrview. I got unlucky with the interviewer. I got one of those super inattentive ones whom I could barely hear because she had me on speaker the whole time and seemed to be really far from the mic. She seemed like she was in a hurry to hang up. Either they conducted the interview as a formality or it was just my bad luck. And I recieved no feedback. It was a big waste of time.

Interview Questions

• Given a dataset, how would you model it to extract a particular information. How would you architect the pipeline.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One in June 2017.

Interview

Same as what has been written before. 4 steps to a decision on your candidacy. I however highly doubt that the roles they have advertised actually exist. All of my stages up to the final round of interviews were a strong pass. My final round of interviews were also, in my opinion, strong with only a couple of things that I perhaps did not hit 100%. Given all of this, I did not expect a short email letting me know that I will not be considered for the position.

Interview Questions

• Role play on explaining regression/CART results.   Answer Question
    • Standard behavioral questions.   Answer Question
    • Simple technical interview on standard data science topics. Very high-level discussions.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Capital One (San Francisco, CA (US)) in May 2017.

Interview

I interviewed for a Data Scientist - Machine Learning role in San Francisco. The process was long but very pleasant and professional throughout, and I would recommend applying there to anyone who wants to use data science and machine learning at scale with technically talented and friendly folks. Capital One flies under the radar as a tech employer, especially in the Bay Area - but I got the impression that they are serious about investing in top talent.

The application consisted of the following steps:
    1. Recruiter screen & online application
    2. Online coding challenge (fairly straightforward, ~1.5h on HackerRank)
    3. Technical phone screen (covered ML topics)
    4. Take home data analysis challenge (takes about a day)
    5. Full-day onsite interview (6-7 people, in person and VC with Capital One employees in other offices)
    6. (After offer) selling calls with hiring manager and 3-4 other people in the Capital One analytics organization

In between each step Kaitlyn (the data science recruiter) checked in with me over the phone. IMO she is the most helpful and professional recruiter I've ever encountered as a job seeker.

Obviously, it's a huge pain to go through the whole process, but everyone is a real pleasure to talk to and I left with a very positive impression of Capital One's work culture and investment in technology. The pay is competitive as well, and I would have signed had I not received a last-minute offer from a rapidly growing tech unicorn.

Interview Questions

• (Given 20 minutes to look through several printouts of data, charts and slides) How would you communicate the findings from this model to a non-technical executive?   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (New York, NY (US)) in July 2017.

Interview

Liked everyone else described in the earlier post, this is a very rigorous interview process.
    1. Coding Challenge - If you know the basic python programming, you should be fine.
    2. Phone Screening - Fraud detection, modeling related questions.
    3. Data Challenge - NYC taxi, predictive modeling, not very difficult.
    4. Onsite - 2 case interview + 1 behavior + 1 presentation + 1 technical + 1 job fit.

I think I did a perfect job in all cases, behavior and presentation parts, and I could tell from interviewer's response that they are very happy with my answer. The technical guy seems a little angry when he walked in to the office, and did not have patient to listen the full story about my experience. I answered 9/10 questions he asked, and that 1 question that I did not answer was a weird question. When I met the the last guy for the job fit discussion, I realized that the opening is under a data engineer team and they required candidate have lots of experience in software developing. I just very honestly told him that I don't have experience of developing massive product ionize code but I come from EE background, so should be able to lean and ramp up quickly. (but honestly, I don't want to be a full time software developer)

They came back with a very unexpected results. They did not give me offer for this position, but offered me another more business focused job with the feedback that they think I am extremely strong in business.

Overall, good interview experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you used someone else expertise to solve a problem.
      Tell me about a time you learned something new and solved a problem.   1 Answer
    • Tell me about your experience in neural network?   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Interview

The first interview is coding. The data set is quite large but not difficult. Many friends all pass the coding . Then it is onsite. There are four rounds. And the questions are all basic. But I failed.

Interview Questions

• The very basic linear regression.   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.