Capital One Financial Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Capital One Financial Analyst Interview Questions

Interviews at Capital One

3.4

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Baton Rouge, LA (US)).

Interview

Had first round interviews on campus then received an invitation to their power day. Consisted of 4 interviews. Two were basic behavioral, one case which wasn't bad just want to see how you view the financial statements, one job fit. Overall not bad at all.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to go above and beyond to get a task accomplished, tell me about the three big financial statements   2 Answers

Negotiation

No negotiation

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA (US)) in November 2012.

Interview

I initially had a very basic phone interview which was spent mostly selling Capital One to me. I talked a little about my past experience. I then was asked to take a online assessment test which involved a quantitative section, a verbal section, and a personality section. In general, it wasn't that difficult - just review the practice materials that they provide you which will give you a good indication of the types of questions involved. I was then invited to Capital One's office in Richmond for a round of interviews - 2 behavioral and 2 case interviews. The behavioral interviews were straight forward for the most part, 3 questions each per interview. The cases entailed a qualitative piece and then a quantitative piece where you have to do some algebra and basic math to solve for break even points. While the math wasn't all that difficult, it was a little tricky having to make sense of the data in a short amount of time all while talking through your logic with someone watching.

Interview Questions

• Determining a break-even point for credit card customers who don't pass the initial application process. You need to recommend whether both tests in the application process are necessary.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA (US)

Interview

1. Applied through university career website
    2. Invited to apply on company website
    3. Case Study 1
    4. Super day: Case Study, Fit Interview, Behavior Interview

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you persuaded someone?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA (US)) in March 2012.

Interview

1. Given a Math and Verbal Skills Test
    2. Invited to a Case Interview (on-campus)
    3. Invited to Power day in Richmond,VA
    Power day ( given another case interview, job fit interview, and a behavioral interview)

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to persuade someone?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time when you had to lead people?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time when you had a conflict with a group member and how you handled it?   1 Answer

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Washington, DC (US)) in February 2010.

Interview

Applied online through university job board, was selected for their pre-screen intelligence test which consisted of vocabulary, reading comprehension and math questions, it lasted a little over an hour.

The follow up was a phone interview with one of their HR specialists in Virginia. Questions consisted of behavioral questions and several basic accounting questions.

Interview Questions

• What are the 3 common financial statements?   1 Answer

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Washington, DC (US)) in November 2011.

Interview

I applied for the position through my universities career website. I had no experience in finance beyond a very basic intro course, but still got an interview. As a side note, the person that interviewed me was an anthropology major, and said they just look for smart people.

The first interview on campus was about 45 minutes. We chatted for a little bit, then went to the case. The case was simple and required very basic math. Be sure to look at their example case on line. No case framework was needed. I even messed up a little at a couple spots.

I was called the next day and told I would be invited for a final round interview in Richmond. First though, I had to take their on line skills test. I didn't think I did very well on it, but I was told I passed and would get to have a final interview.

They arrange for your travel, and I arrived in Richmond the night before the interview. They take you out to dinner with all the other people being interviewed, along with people who are current Finance Rotation Analysts. It was pretty chill, and none of the people there were interviewers, so it was pretty low pressure.

The next day you arrive at the Capital One offices and have 3, 45 minute interviews. Two were basic behavioral, which I was told by multiple people that they only slightly matter. The 3rd was a case interview. Mine was similar to the first, but the math was more difficult than I expected. I also seemed to have problems hearing that morning, and kept missing parts of the data the interviewer was giving me. I swear he never told me the data, but maybe I just didn't hear him. I didn't do as well on the case, which was my downfall I think.

After, they have you eat lunch with one of the people from the night before, and they try and match you with someone from your university.

Overall, there were about 20 people interviewing that day. The told us just as many people interviewed the week before, and no one was offered a position.

Final advice: Don't mess up on the case, pay very close attention to the details the case interviewer provides, and you will be fine.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA (US)

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Capital One (Arlington, VA (US)) in February 2012.

Interview

Intense - first we had an on campus information session and then were asked to fill out a 2 hour assessment - think 75% GMAT style questions and 25% personality assessment. That's the first round. The second round is a case study style interview only this one has a correct answer (you're supposed to come up with an actual number and explain what it is). I didn't make it past the second round, but after that you go on site for a third round interview.

Interview Questions

• How do you calculate (x) ratio - a lot of ratio questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA (US)) in April 2011.

Interview

it consists of 2 behavioral interviews, and 2 case interviews. Sample tests available at their websites. If prepared, the question won't be too difficult for those who have had some years of working experience. Behavioral questions: can be found on all sorts of behavioral websites. Interviewers were all very nice, and encouraged 2 way communications.

Interview Questions

• Case question: 1. About a insurance product: to decide whether it's good to launch the product, and to calculate whether the program will be profitable, and the break even response rate, the price and etc. 2. To evaluate the financial impact of cancel of a employment check on the card application: if canceled, the % of bad accts that would make the portfolio still profitable. The breakeven % of bad accts.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA (US)).

Interview

First, there was an interview on campus, which featured a lot of math and story problems. But make sure to show your personality (which I did) while doing them. And be sure to talk out exactly what you're doing and your thought process.

Then I had an in person interview, which consisted of one math-oriented test, a personality test, and a 'fit' test. The guy who gave the math test was difficult and completely not helpful. The other interviewers were much better.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA (US)) in December 2012.

Interview

Great experience. Applied online and was asked the following day to take an online fit assessment and IQ test. I was quickly notified that I had passed and scheduled a phone interview. It was pretty straight forwards just know why you want to work at COF.

I was later invited to interview in Richmond. Capital One covered all of the expenses for transportation and the very nice hotel room. There was a reception the night before where candidates got to meet people currently involved in the program. Roughly 1:1 employees:candidates so it was a great opportunity to learn about the program.

Everyone had 3 interviews the following day (fit, behavioral, and case) and candidates who hadnt had a case on campus had a second case interview as well. Dont stress over the cases, if you passed the IQ test you'll most likely be fine as they are a bit more focused on quantitative topics. I heard back the same week.

Interview Questions

• Lots of team based questions. Keep a few examples in mind and make sure to review the example questions they give you. You will be asked some of them in the interview process.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.