Capital One Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.1

1. Featured Interview

Creative Services Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (Nottingham, England) in December 2017.

Interview

It was brilliant. Two preliminary phone calls, an initial informal meeting then an intense half day interview with four stages: presentation about me, job fit interview, behavioural interview, creative task. At every stage the Capital One HR team were helpful and very accommodating (e.g. called me when I asked - even early in the morning, arranged for some interviews to take place outside of work hours). Overall a very positive experience, although it was tough but I would expect that for the position I was going for and it made me think how amazing the rest of the team who had also gone through the process must be - and now I'm here they are!

Interview Questions

• When did I face a challenge when working with a colleague and how did I overcome it?   1 Answer
    • What experience do I have in motivating teams and how did I do it?   2 Answers

Capital One Response

8 Jun 2018 – Talent Acquisition Partner

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review - we're really pleased that you had a positive experience interviewing with us. Welcome to Capital One!

Senior Level Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Warning: watch out for their interview screening tests!! It is not only horrible but a complete nonsense! It is very time consuming and preparation is required. Don't be discouraged if you don't pass. Just remember , there are many other great companies that will truly value your skills and experience and no tests!

Interview Questions

• CapitalOne has this horrible assessments that they put every single candidate through before any interview apparently. My background shows 100% to a JD and the hiring manager is very keen to bring me onboard but I did not pass the test. It is a test that comprised of 3 major parts: personality, math and reading. You will need a minimum of 2 hours to complete the 3 sections. They aren't super hard but it is timed to a very tight time frame.

My feeling after the test is that I did ok but not great as I am normally very good at any test. Unfortunately, the result is " fail". I'm guessing the personality test is the killer. The best part is they don't reveal your score or why you did not pass!

I have lost all interest in applying for jobs at this company. Can't imagine how many great people they have lost due to such stupid tests! No company should solely rely their hiring decisions on any test and totally disregard people's experience and education.

A total waste of my time!   1 Answer

Compliance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (New Orleans, LA (US)).

Interview

The process was arduous. It started with an HR phone interview. Then a manager phone interview. Then they flew me out for another group of interviews. I believe there were five different ones at that point each with someone new. I started to lose any motivation for the job 3/4 of the way through the one day of back to back interviews filled with the same mundane questions. Then I had to wait several weeks for a response only to find out they hired an internal candidate who had already been doing the job. Common sense says they’d already picked that person before putting me through their circus show. I was very unimpressed with this company.

Compliance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in April 2019.

Interview

3 exams (personality assessment, math exam, verbal reasoning exam) + HR phone interview + 4 consecutive interviews totalling 2.5 hours (1 hour behavioural interview + 3 half hour panel interviews). They wasted a solid 7 hours (3 hours for in person interviews + 0.5 hour of HR phone interview + 1.5 hours for 3 exams + 2 hours to write 9 thank you emails for the 9 people that interviewed me in person) of my time and put me through 5 interviews for a simple compliance manager job only to reject me by telling me "I didn't have enough experience for the position". Couldn't that have been determined by reading my resume ahead of time?

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you handled a conflict in the workplace.   Answer Question

Director of Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA (US)) in December 2018.

Interview

I hope the diversity and inclusion leader sees this because I was told I couldn’t have interviewed any better and wasn’t selected simply because I was an external candidate not already embedded in culture and an internal candidate was in the mix. This was a bias that prevented me from having equal standing going into the recruitment process.
    After an executive referral, I went through multiple phone interviews. One was an hour and a half grilling via a senior recruiter, and I was told he was taking copious notes to pass on to hiring managers. I found out later that none of my responses were shared. I was then passed to another recruiter who talked about their online testing. I would not proceed to an onsite interview without passing tests, including an algebra one. I went through a stressful studying and (self) tutoring event of 2-3 weeks in length. I’m in the IT industry and when I need to crunch numbers I do it in Excel. The math was very hard and stressful for me, and I didn’t understand the point for the IT position I was applying to. Regardless, I spent many hours (25+) working hard to pass all the online tests, and I did.
    I had two job potentials but when I was scheduled for Power Day only one team was represented, and I ended up missing the other opportunity as a result. I had to complete a super-secret business case that was purely math. As a director I strategize. When I tried to strategize during the case I was told not to and to only talk numbers, so I felt my hands were tied. After the case I was told they have it to teach a lesson that they are different and business/tech and finance work closely together on efforts, more so than other companies. I have worked closely with financial counterparts throughout my career, so I felt the case was still a time waster. Despite it not being my strong suit, I passed it. Several other people interviewed and none of us were hired because the hiring manager was looking for a “specific” candidate. I was consistent from my phone interviews so if the notes were shared we all could have saved the time to realize I wasn’t “specific” beforehand.
    I was referred to another potential fit (via referrer, not recruiter). I went through more phone interviews and had to keep following up for a Power Day. I was passed to a new recruiter who said I needed to go to Richmond. I drove three hours to do this in bad NOVA traffic, both ways. Upon getting to the site my onsite contact was nowhere to be found.
    Five out of the six interviews were remote – so why did I have to drive down there? Two of them were scheduled for an hour but only had 30 minutes. I waited alone for over an hour for one round. Despite the poor logistics, the interviews went well. Over a week later I was told that I didn’t get it because there was an internal candidate in the mix (see above). Such a mean process that was, taking over 3 months of my time, money for gas, and vacation days from me to be told I never really had a chance. Very disappointed in the meanness and bias displayed from this organization.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to mentor someone.   1 Answer

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in January 2018.

Interview

Was called by recruiting and asked to fill out a questionnaire. Then I was passed along to do a online test that lasted a lifetime and even asked about what colour underwear I was wearing!!! After that I was interviewed by 6 people including some in the U. S. This was an outrageous amount of interviews. It was a nightmare.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where I had to deal with a difficult employee and how did I handle it.   1 Answer

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Capital One (Washington, DC (US)) in August 2018.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me via phone based on my LinkedIn profile. I sent my resume to her via LinkedIn while she was on the phone. She talked up how great it looked and how wonderful Capital One is for working women in tech.

She spent so much time talking up the place, then told me she'd arrange a phone screen with the hiring manager, but first I had to take a personality evaluation and do some online tests (a reading comprehension test and a mathematics test) and pass those to get to the next phase.

I took the personality test and online math and reading tests and never heard back from the recruiter. I figure I must have failed one or more. It would have been nice to have at least gotten a word back from her. I think it was rude to never respond back to me.

Interview Questions

• Be aware of using your time well for the math test. I did well on the practice test, but even so I ran out of time on the real test. Take several practice exams first. Also, read up on how to answer the personality tests properly. I'm not sure if my personality test raised any red flags, but I suppose it can't hurt to research ahead of time what types of answers could be perceived negatively by employers ahead of time.   Answer Question

Universal Branch Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (New York, NY (US)) in April 2018.

Interview

Honestly I think this interview process is a joke they are the only bank that makes you go through such a process for nothing its not even like the pay is that great and I’ve been in banking for years and know a lot of people who have left this company so the turn over is bad, the nerve they have to make it such a difficult process for people with experience is unbelievable, I’ve applied to Capital One at least 5 times now all different time frames with 6 months in between, they have gotten as far as sending me a video interview, then were so unprofessional to not even follow up with me and let me know that I would not move forward, I went on the portal to find out my self, this company should not have a 3.9 more like 3.5, stay in your place Capital One, I can promise you the pride you have for being a good company only to under value costumers and employees, is disgusting, and a huge waist of 5 hours of my time to do your ridiculous assessments and virtual interviews. Time is a valuable thing to waist.

Interview Questions

• Tell us a little more about your self   1 Answer

Business Analytics and Consulting Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nottingham, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Nottingham, England) in April 2018.

Interview

The process comprises of 5 stages: Review of Application, Online Test, Video Interview, Video Business Case Interview, Assessment Centre + Final Interview. I got until the Business Case Interview where I struggled to get what the interviewer were talking about since the skype quality wasn't that good and i had already asked him to repeat several times.

Interview Questions

• The Video Interview has 9 questions, most of them are just general interview questions like : Why Capital One? why should we hire you? Describe the time when you analyse a project/overcome a difficult situation/ work with unfamiliar content. Then there is a numerical question where you have to work out the proportion of apple/android app users, followed by a question where they ask you to describe how you work it out, and a question regarding a marketing strategy of the app. The Video Business Case Interview was about an app and how to market an apps. also, lots of Maths was involved in this case study.   Answer Question

Capital One Response

2 May 2018 – Talent Acquisition Partner

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review.

Product Management & Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA (US)) in October 2017.

Interview

Phone case study: Takes about 30 minutes then you ask questions the interviewer questions for about 15 minutes. Not super hard. Will more than likely be a breakeven calculation. It's okay if you mess up just breathe and keep going. Stay calm.

Power day of interviews:

Case 1 - On behavioral question about a failure. Then a case about credit cards. They gave a sheet with a bunch of rates and fees like APR and net something which are honestly not terms I was familiar with since I have no experience in credit cards. Pay attention to which ones are costs and revenues. Then I had to perform a breakeven calculation using the those same rates again but with a change in a variable.

Case 2 - One behavioral question about a different failure and then a case about a startup company who needed to maximize their profits. Performed breakeven calculation and determine their monthly profit. This case wasn't so bad.

Product Interview - One behavioral question about a time you did something and then had to change strategies in the middle of the project. Asked about 10 ways to improve an umbrella. Asked me to choose a simple product and discuss ways to make it better, how to finance it, etc. and what goes into the costs and revenues of the product. My product was too simple so definitely choose a product that has a lot of room to evolve. Then asked about Amazon drones for delivery...this completely derailed me. They kept asking about functionality of drones and what goes into the financing and how to improve the current system assuming the company had basic drone technology but the problem is I have no clue about drones so I was doing my best but the interviewer kept asking me for more and something different so I knew I wasn't nailing it. Found it to be a strange question.

Culture is definitely eclectic. Seems like they're trying to be like Google with the super trendy offices and fun spaces. Lots of expansion in the company which is cool. Use the STAR method with the behavioral questions which I completely forgot to do because I was nervous. I find that they also wanted me to answer quickly and get straight to the point without a ton of elaboration. Not that you want to be best buds with your co-workers or something but I found it weird that they literally didn't care about who I was as a person they just want to know if you can crunch the numbers with few mistakes. Even though I got to all of the right answers, I think I had to redo too many equations and obviously knew nothing about drones. Whomp.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.