Capital One Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Interviews at Capital One

4,538 Interview Reviews

3.1

Manager Interview

Interview

Easy do your research first. I wish it was longer. Building was very nice and fancy I loved the whole atmosphere. They have all the amenities you would want in a job.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (Chicago, IL (US)) in March 2020.

Interview

The most disgusting interview in my life. Interviewers were arrogant and rude. Due to COVID-19, it was conducted virtually via Zoom. One of the interviewers turned off camera and left his desk multiple times while I was describing solution, so I was speaking with emptiness which put me to embarrassing situation. At the end, another one interviewer thought that he turned off his microphone and made nasty comment about me, so I could hear that. It's not an engineering environment, it's a ghetto.

Interview Questions

• Very primitive technical questions and a little weird behavioral. The whole interview process was a joke.   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Screening with HR, then marathon Case session in February

First was business analysis. Took place with someone who was not interactive at all. Did not help when asked, did almost nothing to move the case forward. This was followed by the Design Challenge, which was a little much if you ask me. None of Cap One's products really pop in a way to suggest they take Design all that seriously.

Interview Questions

• tell me about when you did something you were proud of, not proud of, something you did even though you didn't have to   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

For the 1st Round, there was an on college campus 1 hr case interview.
    For the 2nd Round, they flew us out to the McLean campus for 3 1 hr case interviews followed by a paid lunch.

Interview Questions

• Basic casing questions involving profitability and other business concepts   1 Answer

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (San Francisco, CA (US)).

Interview

They held a mixer and I got to meet a couple team leads. We then had a phone interview with questions about html , css and react and some basic algorithmic questions

MRP Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

3 Interviews Back to Back. Behavioral and Job Fit was easy. The case interview was easy too but the caser was rude. She was looking at somewhere else when she was talking to me.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you added value to something.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

3 Case and 1 Product. Case are quantitative and Product are about brainstorming. Case are difficult, be sure to stay calm and don't panic. Product interview is conversational, be sure to dicuss together with the interviewer.

Relationship Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One in March 2020.

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me after about a month I applied. Took the initial call, passed the assessment, and then did the in-person interview, which had to be online due to the current issue around the world. Was supposed to be 4 interviewers, but one was out sick, so only three did my interview. During the interview, one of them looked bored and uninterested throughout, another seemed like he was zoning out. The last one was kind and attentive.

Recruiter told me theyd have an answer by friday (I interviewed earlier that week). After I tried to get ahold of the recruiter to ask about the results, he sent an email saying he’ll have an update for me by Monday (past Monday). Monday comes around. No response, no email, no phone call. Just a generic email saying they decided to move forward with other candidates.

I think the process was great up until the actual interview. It suddenly turned unprofessional really quickly. They should at least have the decency to let me know whether or not I got the job. It’s quite unprofessional to keep someone waiting like that, or looked bored and uninterested during the interview.

Interview Questions

• What was one goal that you set for yourself, and how did you implement it?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

5 hour onsite interview. two behavioural interview and 3 job fit interview. 5 people interviewed back to back with break. Lunch provided. Coorindator was super nice and checking frequently. Mostly on process. Banking culture etc.

Interview Questions

• Team engagment, work ethic, behavioural questions   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX (US)).

Interview

Applied online. Got a phone call from a recruiter with super basic questions about my work eligibility status, why I want a new job. Did a code round online (2 hacker rank questions) then went to onsite interview they call a power day (4 interviews 45 min each) and then they followed up 2 days later with a result.

Interview Questions

• Q1: Bunch of standard behavioral questions. Talk about a time when... questions.

Q2: Case question: Capital One acquired an online bank IGN. What are the business/tech benefits of this acquisition? What are the challenges? They asked me to walk through a snippet of code and determine what it was doing. It was a function to determine "eligibility" for an offer to customers. 3 Variables into a function that had a bunch of cascading if/else statements - some were redundant. You need to make a truth table to figure it out. Then analyze the output of the truth table and refactor the code into a few lines.

Q3/Q4: Technical background questions. They asked me mostly about my background and the things on my resume. Then quizzed me on questions like - what would you do if you had this table and wanted to get the second-highest value in this column how would you write the query? You have data in s3 file how do you update some of the values in s3 efficiently? How do you deal with spark driver-worker memory? What is a DAG in spark? Difference between GroupByKey and ReduceByKey? My interviewer said she tried to be a data scientist but it was "too hard" and then asked me DS algorithm questions which I answered to a level of detail she probably didn't have the knowledge on and she seemed impressed. She asked me about gradient boosting, how to tune an algorithm, what my favorite algorithm was. Asked me about SQL window function if I ever used one.

I was pretty surprised I didn't get an offer because I answered almost all questions with good level of technical knowledge but if you go on Reddit and search for the capital one you'll find out they are a "fake" tech company and they've rejected plenty of candidates that got offers from real tech companies. They are looking for people who will drink the cool-aid. I asked my interviewer where they are in terms of automated deployments and he said they have a good portion of manual deployment and people doing SQL updates/inserts as a process. That sounds like a "real" tech company to me!   Answer Question