Capital One Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Interviews at Capital One

4,061 Interview Reviews

3.1

Java Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA (US)) in March 2017.

Interview

Contacted by internal recruiter, who setup phone screen with current staff engineers. Passed the phone screen and was invited to participate in power day: face to face interviews in Richmond, VA. All expense paid flight and trip.

Interview Questions

• Phone Interview: How would you take a paragraph and find the number of occurrences for a given particular word?   1 Answer
    • What happens if I put a Key-Value pair into a HashMap, when the key is the same?   1 Answer
    • Homework: Write architecture to consume our REST service and then sum up the averages of various transactions.   1 Answer

Lead Teller Interview

Anonymous Employee in North Houston, TX (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (North Houston, TX (US)) in July 2014.

Interview

Was very easy. I interviewed with 2 people that really did not ask many questions of me. My many years in the financial/banking industry spoke for itself. I was told I would be over qualified for the position and the pay would not meet my requirements, but it was my foot in the door to other opportunities.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had a difficult customer. What happened and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

My compensation was more than the position allowed due to my experience so I maxed out on the salary for this position. I accepted it as a way to get my foot in the door and move on to other roles.

Lead Teller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bossier City, LA (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Capital One (Bossier City, LA (US)) in February 2008.

Interview

When initially hired, the company was Hibernia Bank. Received a phone interview based off of application submitted to Monster. Phone call was concise and friendly. Interviewed a week later. Questions were very "on point" related to the industry. Hired upon completion of interview process. Oddly, there were NEVER any controlled substance tests given to myself or any employees (to my knowledge) hired during my time there - even after accidents. Contrary to this page, my interview was in 2006, not 2008.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if placed in the role of the CEO for 2 hours?   Answer Question

Lead Teller Interview

Interview

Very relaxing environment. Did not feel like I was put under a microscope.

Negotiation

Do Not remember

Lead Teller Interview

Interview

The interview process took a little bit long. There was a video interview. After, if you get a call back you meet with two managers. Then if you're offered the position HR will contact you with the information on your salary and location.

Lead User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (New York, NY (US)) in October 2017.

Interview

The description of what they have written doesn't match what the design teams want in reality. But it followed a typical hiring protocol in a weekly process. Phone interview with hiring managers then a phone conference interview with the design team.

Interview Questions

• Typical design questions e.g. What is your design process? How did you solve a problem? Tell me a time where...   1 Answer

Learning Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Had phone interview with recruiter. Interview lasted about thirty minutes. It took a few days to hear back via email that I would not be moving forward in interview process.

Software Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX (US)

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX (US)).

Interview

After an initial technical and personal screening call via HR, 2 technical 2 behavioral interviews as a minimum. All results from all 4 reviewers are submitted for a 3 levels for ranking all candidates.

Behavioral uses the STAR method.

Interview Questions

• Q: Describe a difficult situation, tasks your actions along with the results.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA (US)).

Interview

I stopped by the Capital One booth at my schools Career fair. Shortly after I was contacted by a recruiter to set up an on campus first round interview. The interview was purely behavioral, consisting of questions to the tune of "How did you overcome X." I was told in my interview that I had preformed well that that I would be advancing to the next round (My interviewer must have had a long day of duds).

Final rounds consisted of three interviews, lunch, and a tour of the Richmond Capital One office. At final rounds there was a group of ~15 candidates who, I assume, all went through the same process.
    The three interviews consisted of a case interview, a technical interview, and a behavioral interview. The interviewers were all kind and gave me feedback at the conclusion of each interview. The interviewers were a mix of management staff and software engineers. After the interviews one candidate was asked to stay for further questions (I assumed this meant he was receiving an offer), while the rest of the candidates were shown out of the office. Much to my surprise I received a phone call not two hours later, while I was still driving home, congratulating me on the interviews and giving me an offer.

After interviewing I got the impression that while I was applying for a software development position the focus of the interviews personality and critical thinking. This was a little off-putting because it makes me believe that it is possible to be hired at Capital One as a Software Engineer without being a great coder. For technical preparation I would recommend purchasing or downloading a copy of Cracking The Coding Interview 5th edition. All of the technical questions I was asked came directly, WORD FOR WORD, from this book. Proper preparation, along with good communication skills is a recipe to preform well and get a great offer.

Interview Questions

• The case question was about mortgage securities, a topic I am not particularly familiar with. Luckily after some question asking and thinking aloud I was able to work my way through the case.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I have a friend who interned at Capital One last year before taking an offer. He told me his salary and I was able to negotiate up to it by leveraging a competing offer from Red Hat.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

I've done my fair share of interviews and this was easily one of the best managed interviews I've ever done. The entire process is very well thought out and is focused on helping both the candidate and the hiring team gain a good understanding of each other. Everyone I met or spoke to were extremely professional and smart.

The entire process took about 3 weeks. A company recruiter contacted me and set up the initial phone screen.
    I was given a coding task to complete before being invited for an in-person interview. I had to take an online HackerRank skills test as well. I did get some questions wrong on the online test but was still asked to come in for an in-person interview.

The in-person interview consisted of 2 rounds of behavioral interviews and 2 rounds of technical interviews. The behavioral interviews were by far the most challenging part of the interview for me. In each round I was asked 3 situation based questions. I had to give very detailed answers in a situation-solution-result format and the interviewers took very detailed notes of my answers. The technical rounds were discussions about the job profile, my work experiences and processes.

Interview Questions

• They will give you plenty of opportunities to ask questions. So prepare to ask lots of good questions by going through their website with an eye on the UI and checking the various platforms they support etc...   Answer Question

See What Capital One Employees Are Saying

StarStarStarStarStar   Current Software Engineering Manager in Nottingham, England

Pros: “Tech - Top of the range tech and working environment. mechanically operated desks that rise to allow you to stand, huge widescreen monitors, latest laptops & machines. - Always...”“Tech - Top of the range tech and working environment. mechanically operated desks that rise to allow you to stand, huge widescreen monitors, latest laptops & machines. - Always striving to work on the latest tech. - Video conferencing is an everyday occurrence and the tech to allow that is extremely good and available in abundance. Working Environment - Relaxed and designed ergonomically to be pleasing with great breakout spaces. Great benefits - Private healthcare options, life insurance, gym, canteen/cafe serving amazing food. Games room (table tennis, pool, table football), Music room with drums, guitars etc. - Strong emphasis on ensuring fun remains in the workplace - its one of the company values. - Flexible working where necessary Progression - Amazing progression with performance management practices designed to ensure you succeed. Strong emphasis on company values and imperatives that guide the company and are used as a backbone to which a majority of decisions are made. There is a feeling that you're always working with the best in the industry and to be frank, you pretty much are.” – Full Review

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.