Capital One Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Capital One Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Capital One

3.6

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

I have not made it to the interview yet. The mathematical reasoning tests are ridiculous! If they expect the average person to figure out math ratios on exchange rates, percentage of increase of population. I seriously was lost on it. My job I was applying for does require some basic math understanding, but I do not need to figure out the kind of stuff they had on their test. If I don't move forward with an interview because I bombed this ridiculous assessment, then so be it. I'm not sure how many average people could pass these kinds of tests unless they were statistical analysts. Just a heads up that this is required. I'll try to provide an update to let anyone know if I moved forward in the interview process. It's actually really discouraging because I'm really smart in my particular area of lending, this assessment just does not apply to my world.

Interview Questions

• Example - If you owned X company $10 million, and sold $X amount of shares in yen, how much would you owe to X company? So basically, you have to figure out the difference in exchange rates from dollars to Yen, then do the math on how much you would have left after you paid the loan off.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Manager Interview

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Capital One in August 2018.

Interview

Had initial phone screen with recruiter who failed to call me at scheduled time twice in a row. Then had two phone interviews with managers - was given little information about who the managers were in relation to the potential position. Was then set up for an interview day that involved one job for interview, two behavioral interviews and a case interview. Recruiter failed to contact me prior to the interview day in order to provide additional information. after interview, was asked to wait 1-2 weeks for a decision. 5 weeks after interview, received automated rejection email.

Interview Questions

• Standard behavioral interview questions; of he six questions I was asked during the two interviews, four were the same.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX (US)) in March 2009.

Interview

Case interview was very industry specific and they relied heavily on case interview performance in determing whether to give offer. Of the three people I interviewed with, one was nice, one was aloof and one was a jerk.

Interview Questions

• Case interview about economics of credit card collections.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (Dallas, TX (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

Interview process was very lengthy. It took almost two months from start to finish. They are very selective about who they bring on to their team...and it makes you have a deeper appreciation for your role if your brought on.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA (US)) in October 2014.

Interview

Behavioral and case study. Behavioral involves answering questions of how you work with other teams, independently, inform your manager and others of progress or problems during projects or BAU.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had to learn something to do your job   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA (US)) in January 2016.

Interview

Comprised of several interviews and meeting several different leaders at the organization, also, this process was one that took several days and several different meetings. All were done at the same location.

Interview Questions

• Based on role/experiences in the past   1 Answer

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA (US)) in March 2018.

Interview

I sent my resume to a former colleague that left for CapOne when I started actively looking for a new opportunity. He forwarded my resume directly to HR and they contacted me with a position for which they thought I’d be a good fit.

The entire process went relatively quickly but CapOne’s interview is by far the hardest I’ve encountered in my 14-year career. The basic steps were:

1. Intro call with the recruiter to go over my resume, he also sent me a job description for me to review and for us to discuss.

2. I had to take an online assessment that consisted of 3 main parts: culture fit/behavioral questions (felt like a personality test), verbal reasoning, and numerical reasoning. Passing this assessment is required to move forward. Note: if the recruiter is good, he will provide you with links to take practice assessments - take advantage of these.

3. Phone interview with the hiring manager to go over the role some more, confirm that I’m interested, and determine if the hiring manager is interested in setting up an in-person interview (I think based on culture fit + skillsets).

4. In-person interview. Met with 5 people total, 1:1 each. It lasted about 3.5-4 hours but time flew by. Again, 3 main components: 1 job fit interview (making sure you possess the skills required for the job), 2 behavioral interviews (open ended questions where they ask you to describe specific examples of certain challenges faced, they want to know how you’ve handled things in the past), and 1 case interview. The case interview is what made me the most nervous, but my recruiter did an exceptional job of making sure I was prepared. The person conducting the case interview was also very personable and helpful while I worked through the case. The purpose of the case interview is not just to see how you think through problems and whether you arrive at the correct answer, but they’re also looking at how you conduct yourself under pressure, the types of questions you ask, etc. What helped me was to think out loud while I was writing through the problem, if I got stuck, the interviewer would step in to help me through it. The case questions will be specific to the job you’re applying for (i.e. leadership will get more business-focused cases while software engineers will get a more technical case to solve). The last interview was a casual lunch with the hiring manager during which we talked about CapOne’s culture and strategic goals.

5. Received offer same day. Apparently only 13% of candidates pass the final interview according to the recruiter.

6. Background check and fingerprinting. I had to go to headquarters for fingerprinting and was cleared for work the following day. I have friends who said theirs took as long as 8 days or longer so YMMV.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of when you were faced with a problem, and what you did to come up with a solution.   Answer Question
    • With technology changing so quickly, how do you make sure that you’re up-to-date with current industry trends?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you didn’t get along with a coworker (or vice versa), how you handled it, and what was the result?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiations were straightforward. I interviewed for Senior Manager but was offered a Manager level for the same role. I was given the salary I’d asked for and the responsibilities would be the same in general (leadership vs. operations and planning), that’s what mattered most.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA (US)) in February 2018.

Interview

Applied online, recruiter contacted me via e-mail and had me take the required personality profile, reading/understanding proficiency, math test. Knew within a couple days that I passed and was invited to come in for an in person interview with two folks. People there were all super friendly. Met with them, which was actually quite nice considering it was an interview, enough time for some back and forth after each interview just getting to know more about the role and the folks I was interviewing with. Didn't get the offer, but would still love to work for the company if I get the chance. They're really good to their people there and empower them quite a bit to get it done.

Interview Questions

• Typical STAR behavioral questions, typically asking about accomplishments, steps to get there etc.. No real technical questions to speak of. Of course the walk me through your career thus far question.   1 Answer

Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Very organized and thoughtful. There were online assessments, a phone interview with the recruiter, and then several behavioral and job fit interviews along with a case study. The recruiter provided good explanations of the process and expectations.

Interview Questions

• They focus on job fit, so pay attention to the sample questions they provide. For example, talk about a time when you had to balance multiple priorities. If you have a case study, they are very interested in your thought process, so be sure to describe it to your interviewer.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA (US)) in May 2017.

Interview

I completely agree with the review posted on Sep 13, 1017, and had a very similar experience. The whole interview process started with a couple of phone interviews (HR, then a manager), followed by two online assessments tests (mini SAT/GRE test), followed by a "super-day" interview with 5 managers at their HQ (had to take time off from current job for this). So far so good, all went well, no complaints there. Received positive feedback, sent thank you emails....
     The HR person throughout the whole process was very professional and responsive. I was told I could expect to hear back within the next two weeks following the super-day interviews.

A couple of weeks later, HR calls and says they're working on creating the position, but that they have another position in mind for me, and asks if I can speak with two managers over the phone the following morning. Short notice, but I say OK. I speak with the managers, and while they're a little curt and to the point, it goes well. HR calls me back and says it went very well, everybody liked me, blah blah blah, and that they're waiting for finance or something to approve the budget for the position. A week goes by...HR calls frequently to give me a status (waiting on budget and other processes to come through before an offer is made) - daily or every two days. Then the second week goes by; frequency of calls diminish. More weeks go by and then radio silence. After about a month of not hearing back I send HR an email asking for the status, and I never hear back. Then, weeks later I get an automated email saying the position I applied for was canceled (not even sure which job at this point). The whole process, from the first HR interview to the automated rejection email, took about 4 months!

It doesn't end here! Weeks later out of the blue I get a call from HR saying they have another position in mind for me, and would like to setup an interview over the phone with the hiring managers over the next few days (no in-person needed since I already interviewed in person for previous positions). I'm like, sure, whatever. The whole thing just fizzled away and at this point I lost complete interest. No phone interview happened.

It doesn't end here! About a month later I get an automated email asking how the interviewing process went, asking for feedback!

To summarize:

- HR was either courteous, professional and proactive in keeping me updated, or completely radio silent.
    - I had a total four phone interviews, and one in-person (super-day, with four individuals), and that's before the next round of interviews which fizzled away
    - I had to take time off from work (whole day) for the super-day interview
    - 4+ month long process
    - Everyone was professional and courteous, but the whole process was horrible and a waste of time

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.