Capital One Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Capital One Product Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Capital One

3.6

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (San Francisco, CA (US)) in July 2020.

Interview

This has been the worst interview experience I have ever had in my 7+ years of PM interviewing. I interviewed twice with Capital One, first time was in March 2020 where I was contacted by the recruiter, after our initial call I was supposed to have a follow up with the hiring manager but no response from the recruiter. I followed up with the recruiter over the period of 4 weeks and no response at all, I assumed I just fell through the cracks.

Fast forward to July 2020 I get contacted by the same recruiter for a different Product Manager role (ignores our first encounter) and schedules a call with the hiring manager. Again I send a follow up email regarding my application but looks like I am ghosted again. This has been a terrible experience and I will never apply to such a dysfunctional organization.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Product Manager Interview

Interview

Applied online. Got back call to interview after three weeks then flew to Virginia offices for the interview l. Two cases back to back interview. They give you a room in the office. Your interviewers will come to the room at the allotted time

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA (US)) in October 2019.

Interview

The interview process was straightforward. I met with a recruiter, had a phone interview, and then was invited for a day long on-site process which included 3 case interviews: Business case, product case, and a design challenge. The cases were all straight forward but difficult. And the design challenge required prep work of research and a presentation.

I enjoyed the day until the last Design Challenge case interview. The girl who gave me the interview was 10 minutes late, complained about how busy her day was and was outwardly mean. I was told I would have up to 15 minutes to present my presentation, but 30 seconds in she cut me off. I had done research online, created a survey and did individual interviews from which I created personas to present. She did not look through the slides with me. Instead she set down the presentation and did not look at it. She did not listen to my results and when I got the personas portion she said we didn’t need to spend time going through them. I also had developed problem statements which she told me to stop looking at and ignore for the rest of the challenge.
    Furthermore, the rest of the interview was me writing on a whiteboard and she made a dig at my handwriting.
    She discredited everything I said, but eventually we started talking about a very theoretical business. At one point she corrected me and said I should do ‘X’ and I said that I had I guess we weren’t on the same page because based on the research I had already done I ‘assumed’ we had covered ‘X’”. Her response was, “don’t tell me you ‘assumed.’ If you assumed it you would have written it down, so now it’s a little late to say you ‘assumed’ after I gave you the answer.” The interview was not what I was told to expect and I was subsequently thrown off for the rest of it. Overall her demeanor was very unprofessional and disrespectful of the time I had spent preparing.

Since it was my last interview of the day, unfortunately, it left a really bad taste in my mouth about Capital One and while I did not get the role, I was encouraged to seek opportunities in another position, but based on my experience I am not sure I am interested in going back.

I do think my experience was unusual since everyone else I met was very nice and respectful. I gave my feedback to the recruiter, so I hope for everyone else’s sake they correct this in the future!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA (US)) in October 2019.

Interview

I applied through my graduate program and heard back within a week or so of my application that my application was under consideration, with information on the process. I then did a 30-minute product interview in person that was very rushed and impersonal, which might have been a red flag, but I chalked it up to them being short on time for the day. I then was asked back to second round interviews in person at their McLean campus. My recruiter was very unresponsive, even though she offered to chat with me over the phone to prepare for the interview, which was helpful once we could actually schedule. When the in-person came, I had three interviews: a business case, product case, and a product "workshop" case. The product cases were fairly straightforward, but the business case was very long and convoluted. My interviewer was disorganized and the case was much more complex and specific than the recruiter had made it seem, so I felt under-prepared. I was told that I would hear back within a week, then did not hear anything for almost three weeks even after an email to touch base. I got a voicemail that my recruiter wanted to chat, but she ghosted me, even after calling her back twice. Incredibly frustrating experience - I came in expecting to really like them, and that really tarnished my perception of the firm and the brand.

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

phone interview that was a case question, then onsite where we had 3 interviews, 2 product based, and 1 design based phone interview that was a case question, then onsite where we had 3 interviews, 2 product based, and 1 design based

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA (US)) in September 2019.

Interview

Starts off with a video face-to-face interview. Questions about yourself and a small case. Then you are called onto the McLean Campus for three case studies. The case studies include product case, design case, and a business analytical case.

Interview Questions

• Example: Look at these reviews and information about the DMV. Brainstorm ideas and talk us through what you would do to bring your product idea to market.   1 Answer
    • Case study about Credit Cards.   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA (US)) in September 2019.

Interview

Great interview process. 3 rounds on the phone and then an entire day on campus. 6 in person interviews that tested all core areas of product management. After that I was ghosted. 3 e-mails, 2 phone calls and all I have is silence. It's okay if you don't hire me, but ghosting a candidate shows very poor etiquette.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA (US)) in August 2019.

Interview

The first step was a brief phone conversation with a recruiter, followed by a half hour phone screening with a potential hiring manager. Then, a full day at the HQ - interviews with several different people at various levels of seniority. A couple of them were job fit / conversational interviews; there were two cases (business and product) and a design challenge that required advance prep work.
    It was a challenging process and a long day, but my experience was positive - the questions asked were not unreasonable, and the case partners were helpful and made sure the feeling wasn't super tense.
    Interview prep is pretty straightforward - be ready to talk about your experience, practice case interviews (especially breaking questions down in a structured way), and have lots of questions ready for your interviewers! Don't drink too much coffee before! ;)

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (Chicago, IL (US)) in August 2019.

Interview

Applied online/ Call with recruiter/ Recruiter matches you with Hiring Manager/Call with Hiring Manager and Team member/Power day/Call with hiring Manager/Offer :)

Loved the process, it was very fair. I didn't feel like I was trying to be tricked. They REALLY want you to succeed and like your job ! The team was very welcoming you could feel the passion.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA (US)) in March 2019.

Interview

My first interaction with a Capital One recruiter was in Oct. 2018 when a recruiter reached out via LinkedIn for a role in Capital One Labs. Labs looks 3-6 months into the future to create new products and services. I was asked: How would you hire a developer? What would your coworkers say you do best? What would your coworkers say you can do better? If you could do one thing at work what would it be? If you never had to do one thing at work what would it be?

After that interview I was passed to another recruiter who told me about Power Day. These are interview days that they schedule 2-3 days per month. During Power Day you stay for up to 8 hours. There is a business case, product case, and design challenge. They provide you lunch. There can be hours long gaps between interviews. Luckily, I interviewed in Tyson's and could walk to the mall.

The Business Case was challenging. I think the key was to ask questions and allow them to see how you think. I struggled through the business case but the interviewer was great about it and helped me along.

I then had a role fit interview which was more of a conversation with the hiring manager. He asked about how I got into product management and told me about his background.

I thought the product case was fun and challenging. It lets you flex your creative muscles and solve a product challenge. It helps if you're familiar with the CIRCLES method and can identify the customer for the product.

The design challenge was also fun for me. It does require some advance prep. You need to research one of the topics they give you. You can conduct primary research or use secondary research. They really let you decided and I think the purpose is to see how you think about problems.

I felt that the product case and design challenge really gave me an opportunity to shine, more than a regular "Tell me about a time..." interview.

I passed Power Day but was told, unfortunately, another recruiter had filled the role but my resume would be on reserve for other opportunities.

My next interaction with Capital One was in March 2019 when a recruiter reached out to me via LinkedIn. I told her I had passed Power Day. When she went to look for me in the system she found that the last recruiter had never submitted my information for me to be considered for other roles. Once she verified I had passed Power Day we had a conversation. She asked me am I actively looking. (I was not.) Why Capital One? What do I want in my next career move? She told me they were identifying talent for new roles in product and she would socialize my resume with the hiring managers.

From socializing my resume I landed 2 interviews with hiring managers. One of the managers asked me to come in. Since I had passed power day I had more meet and greet meetings with team members and was given a tour of the building. I received an offer by June 2019.

Interview Questions

• Why Capital One?   1 Answer
    • What would your coworkers say you do best?   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.