Capital One Senior Business Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Capital One Senior Business Analyst Interview Questions

Interviews at Capital One

3.4

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Capital One in January 2020.

Interview

Recruiter reached out to schedule a phone screen, quick conversation about previous experience, the interview process and the role I applied for.

Next step was the phone interview. This was a case interview. You own a cloud storage company, figure out the breakeven if your cost is X and each customer uses Y amount of storage. You now offer a premium subscription, figure out the percentage of customers for the premium service in order to breakeven if the remaining customers use the free service.

Powerday: 2 case interviews and a product interview.

Each case interview starts with one behavioral question; what was your greatest accomplishment? Describe a time you went out of your way to help someone.

Product interview- 10 ways to improve a water bottle. Out of the 10, which 3 would you prioritize and why.

Pick a mobile app, describe the business model( you should do some research before the interview), who are the competitors, 3 ways to improve the app and how would you do it. Interviewer asked additional questions about the app so make sure you are familiar with it.

If you pass all 3, you will have another case interview with the hiring manager.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Interview

When it comes to the case interviews, preparation is key to a good experience - this goes for both the interviewer and interviewee. However, in the first 60 seconds of my case interview, my interviewer admitted outright that they did not read the case file, and in fact, they did not even have it with them. So, I sat on the phone while they went to find it. Once they returned to the line, as you would expect, the interview felt rushed, disjointed, and at times, awkward. Given the amount of time invested in preparing, as well as a genuine interest in the company and role, it was very discouraging to receive the proverbial thumbs down following this experience. I realize this experience may be an anomaly. However, it’s worth noting that for at least some of BA management, this is the level of care they place in finding ‘the right fit’ and giving each candidates a fair shake.

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

I submitted application online. The first round conducted in Hackerrank with 4 questions. Two database questions, and two programming questions. Then followed with a phone interview. After the phone interview is a case study, which needs to finish in 7-10 days.

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA (US)) in October 2019.

Interview

I applied online and received an unscheduled call from a recruiter. He asked me a few questions about my background and after a quick conversation indicated that he'd like to move me forward to the next round.

The first case interview was a 30-minute phone call that consisted of a case that was a bit more difficult than the practice case they give you. There was almost no time spent on behavioral questions and they allowed me time to ask them questions at the end. During this case, I made a mistake and got lost in the math a few times but was able to correct the course. I got a phone call a few hours after this interview notifying me that I was invited to the Power Day in Virginia.

Capital One gave me a date about two weeks out and paid for my flight and hotel. The interview day was very structured and organized. All of the candidates were led into designated rooms where various interviewers come in and out to administer the rounds. I had two case interviews, and then a product interview.

Each round was one hour long and started off with a 10-15 minute behavioral component where they ask you a question and take notes. The case interviews were of a similar caliber to the initial phone interview and the practice case interview... and the math component will have some mix of algebra (e.g. turning fixed and variable costs into an algebraic equation so you can find a breakeven point) and weighted averages. I made a small mistake in both of my first two case interviews. I hadn't slept and would make small errors like adding instead of subtracting. If you do this, try to notice it beforehand and regain composure and solve it confidently. Luckily this did not preclude me from receiving an offer.

The product interview is interesting and there really isn't anything you can do to prepare for it. They'll be testing your brainstorming skills and common sense. If you really want to practice, think of a few common household objects (e.g. a backpack) and start quickly listing ways you would improve them. They'll go deeper into your suggestion list and ask how you'd implement these features and how you'd measure the success of these implementations.

After the interviews, we were led on a tour of the campus. Once you're done, you're taken back to your room and asked to wait for someone to give you an update. The two people in the rooms adjacent to mine left campus but a recruiter asked me to stay for another case interview. This case interview was more casual and not nearly as structured. The interviewer spent about half of the time selling me on the job and working at Capital One. I'm not sure what the reason behind the fourth interview is. Some say that the fourth interview means you're in, while others say it's administered if they're on the fence about you. I can say that of the three people I toured the campus with, I was the only one to receive an offer and the only one to receive the fourth interview. Another person who interviewed around the same time I did also received a fourth interview and an offer.

After my final interview, I waited about a week and a half to receive an offer. I know the candidates who did not receive offers heard back in two to three days.

Overall, I had a great interview process and it was actually one of my primary reasons for accepting. Capital One invests a lot of time, money, and resources into not only employees but job candidates. You'll feel like a priority while interviewing and the HR team is incredibly competent and timely in giving you updates.

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

The interview process includes 3 rounds: HR screening, Phone Case Interview and on-site interview. I applied only and got a phone call from the recruiter. The HR screening was very simple. Then she sent me some materials to understand the case interview process. You can google these videos as well. Then I went to a phone case interview with an experienced Business Analyst from Capital One. And the finale was on-site interviews with 2 rounds of case interviews.

Interview Questions

• The questions includes behavioral questions, business case interview and product interview (The product interview is a new part in BA hiring process)>   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA (US)).

Interview

Total ~ 8 weeks

Applied May 8, resume round and chitchat May 13, phone business case interview on May 22nd, Power Day On-site interview on June 12th, another interview with the VP on June 20th, Offer on July 2nd

Interview Questions

• Phone interview: Business Case Discussion (Rideshare – Heavy quant)

On-site day: Timings 9-1:30 (Lunch included)

2 Business Case Interviews (1 about a bakery shop, 1 about credit cards – both heavy quant focus)
      1 Product interview (10 ways to redesign a common household item, take a product/service u know about and talk about it, another common one that you can find in other reviews)

1 behavioral question before each business case interview (tell me about a time you went out of your way to help someone, tell me about your greatest achievement)

Another round with VP: Business Case Discussion (Farming – Multiple Situations)   1 Answer

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Interview

They had a phone screening round and a phone case round. I did well on the case round and got my answers correct. I also connected well with the interviewer. However, I received a rejection email the next day. I am still not sure about what went wrong since I didn't receive any feedback.

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA (US)) in June 2019.

Interview

I applied on Capital One career site and I got a call from the recruiter the next day to discuss the opportunities at capital one. After a few administrative questions, he asked me a behavioral question where my strategic thinking for a business problem and Explained to me the next steps involved in getting a job offer for the position interviewed.

The next round was a phone case interview and I am still waiting to hear back from them.

Interview Questions

• A case of advertising involving fixed cost, the variable cost, Revenue, click through rate, conversion rate, acceptance rate. Analysis of which type of advertising would be better for Capital one to promote the credit card. The structure of the interview was exactly like the one they give in the sample preparation guide.   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA (US)) in May 2019.

Interview

3 rounds: 1st round screening with HR, 2nd round phone case interview with a manager and 3rd round onsite including both behavioral and case interviews. Overall it was a very positive experience. Multiple recruiters were involved, but they were all very responsive. They guided me throughout the process and gave me support when I had any problems. The interviewers were nice. During case interviews, they worked with me through the problems, rather than just sitting there to assess my performance. Recruiter got back to me in 2 days to give the offer, and the hiring manager gave me a call to congratulate me afterwards.

Interview Questions

• All the cases I did were not related to credit card or banking. Recruiter already told me that the cases can be in any industry, so I wasn't surprised at all. Calculations were straightforward. The tricky part was how to understand the business implications of the numbers, and connect that to the context of the case.   1 Answer

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA (US)) in May 2019.

Interview

After the on-campus screening, several were picked up for SuperDay. There were 3 rounds, plus 1 optional, back to back interviews. Two of them were case interviews, the other one was product interview.

Interview Questions

• Though they also needed you to provide some insights for the case, they focused a lot on the calculation parts.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.