Capital One Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Capital One Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Capital One

2.7

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA (US)).

Interview

I stopped by the Capital One booth at my schools Career fair. Shortly after I was contacted by a recruiter to set up an on campus first round interview. The interview was purely behavioral, consisting of questions to the tune of "How did you overcome X." I was told in my interview that I had preformed well that that I would be advancing to the next round (My interviewer must have had a long day of duds).

Final rounds consisted of three interviews, lunch, and a tour of the Richmond Capital One office. At final rounds there was a group of ~15 candidates who, I assume, all went through the same process.
The three interviews consisted of a case interview, a technical interview, and a behavioral interview. The interviewers were all kind and gave me feedback at the conclusion of each interview. The interviewers were a mix of management staff and software engineers. After the interviews one candidate was asked to stay for further questions (I assumed this meant he was receiving an offer), while the rest of the candidates were shown out of the office. Much to my surprise I received a phone call not two hours later, while I was still driving home, congratulating me on the interviews and giving me an offer.

After interviewing I got the impression that while I was applying for a software development position the focus of the interviews personality and critical thinking. This was a little off-putting because it makes me believe that it is possible to be hired at Capital One as a Software Engineer without being a great coder. For technical preparation I would recommend purchasing or downloading a copy of Cracking The Coding Interview 5th edition. All of the technical questions I was asked came directly, WORD FOR WORD, from this book. Proper preparation, along with good communication skills is a recipe to preform well and get a great offer.

Interview Questions

• The case question was about mortgage securities, a topic I am not particularly familiar with. Luckily after some question asking and thinking aloud I was able to work my way through the case.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I have a friend who interned at Capital One last year before taking an offer. He told me his salary and I was able to negotiate up to it by leveraging a competing offer from Red Hat.

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA (US)) in February 2014.

Interview

They flew me out to their campus. The night before the interview there was a really relaxed question and answer session. The day of the interview we were taken from the hotel and given a tour of the campus. After the tour and some lunch the interview began. There are 3 interviews, a case interview, a behavior interview, and a job fit interview.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question for me was the coding questions. They asked about what a certain line of code did and then they had me code a sorting algorithm or sorts. I was asked to code a function that would find the first none repeated letter.   2 Answers

I declined because I had another offer that was closer to family. If it were not for that factor I would have chosen Capital One.

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA (US)) in February 2014.

Interview

The interview process was fast. I got an on grounds interview and then two days later I was told I can move on to the final round interview. The process was really fast. I got to do the behavioral, job fit, and case interview. I will be expected to hear back from then in 3 days.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

I've done my fair share of interviews and this was easily one of the best managed interviews I've ever done. The entire process is very well thought out and is focused on helping both the candidate and the hiring team gain a good understanding of each other. Everyone I met or spoke to were extremely professional and smart.

The entire process took about 3 weeks. A company recruiter contacted me and set up the initial phone screen.
    I was given a coding task to complete before being invited for an in-person interview. I had to take an online HackerRank skills test as well. I did get some questions wrong on the online test but was still asked to come in for an in-person interview.

The in-person interview consisted of 2 rounds of behavioral interviews and 2 rounds of technical interviews. The behavioral interviews were by far the most challenging part of the interview for me. In each round I was asked 3 situation based questions. I had to give very detailed answers in a situation-solution-result format and the interviewers took very detailed notes of my answers. The technical rounds were discussions about the job profile, my work experiences and processes.

Interview Questions

• They will give you plenty of opportunities to ask questions. So prepare to ask lots of good questions by going through their website with an eye on the UI and checking the various platforms they support etc...   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Capital One in March 2015.

Interview

The process itself took about a week. I had to schedule an on-site interview because the bad weather prevented the recruiters from flying to my University. The date that I picked was 3 weeks in the future. I flew to Richmond, Virginia the day before and had my interview the next day. The interview itself was not hard. There is a behavioral (tell me about a time when you...), job fit(technical questions plus work preference), and case interview (business related). I thought I did well but sadly I did not get an offer.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between overloading and overriding?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

The first round was an on-campus behavioral interview which consisted of four questions. After the first round was the final on-site interview which included a behavioral, case, and job-fit (technical) interview one hour each.

The interviews were not too stressful and they asked very simple questions for the technical interview. I'm not entirely sure what they're looking for in a candidate since there's no way that their technical interview can screen out a lot of people. I had no idea if I made a mistake on the technical, case, or behavioral interviews, but it was probably behavioral since that's pretty subjective (if you fit the culture or if they want to work with you).

From the on-site interview to the tour it was pretty obvious that Capital One takes care of their employees; they give you snacks and a one hour break randomly scheduled in your onsite interviews.

Interview Questions

• Given a string, return the first NON-repeating character that occurs in the string.
      EX: "adzbdcab" returns 'z'.   8 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Applied directly on capital one website after seeing their posting on glassdoor, they replied after 3 months saying that they found another more suitable candidate. It might be specific to hiring manager for that position, but HR should mandate a reply.

Interview Questions

• Never got to the interview process, they take too long ( 3 months ) to respond, they should let the candidate know within reasonable time frame, maybe 2 or 3 weeks.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Capital One (Washington, DC (US)).

Interview

There was first a behavioral interview on campus and then proceed onto onsite technical and job fit interviews. I was first asked general behavioral questions about working in groups, and then hardest projects, programming languages, and what type of software engineering position I was interested in. There were about eight questions. Did not pass behavioral round.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX (US)) in October 2014.

Interview

3, 1-hour interviews, behavioral, business case analysis, and technical. The interview was very smooth, The technical interview asked me questions mostly about basic data structures and how to use them for simple tasks effectively. The behavioral interview asked me about how I had solved problems in the past in different ways, structured mostly in a "tell about a time when..." sort of way. The business case was more confusing, the interviewer expects you to ask questions to reveal the next part of the interview but they dont help you very much, and if the interviewer hasnt explained the problem clearly then you are stuck.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between an object and a class?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA (US)) in August 2015.

Interview

Interviewed at the Richmond Office. There were three interviews; Behavioral, Case interview, and a Technical interview. Each interview was 45 mins. The process was very smooth and the people were all very friendly. Study up on basic data structures and use the material they provide to prepare for the case interview. The behavioral interview is very standard.

Interview Questions

• Find the kth to last term in a linked list   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.