Carpmaels & Ransford Trainee Patent Attorney Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Carpmaels & Ransford Trainee Patent Attorney Interview Questions

Interviews at Carpmaels & Ransford

3.5

Trainee Patent Attorney Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Carpmaels & Ransford.

Interview

Recorded video interview. Questions appear on screen and you have a short amount of time to answer. Before taking there is a short guide with tips on how to take the interview e.g. be in a well lit room etc

Interview Questions

• Why does ice float on water? Describe the differences between benzene and cyclohexane.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Carpmaels & Ransford

Trainee Patent Attorney Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Carpmaels & Ransford.

Interview

It was a video interview where the questions came up on the screen, then there was a count down while you thought of an answer. Then it gave you a few minutes to give an answer.

Trainee Patent Attorney Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Carpmaels & Ransford in November 2020.

Interview

Applied online. Was shortlisted for a pre-recorded video interview. Was asked 5 questions, given 30 seconds of thinking time and then between 1min and 3min to answer the question. Questions focused on personality and communication rather than reasons for choosing Carpmaels & Ransford or knowledge of the profession.

Interview Questions

• Describe a complex concept that you explained to someone recently?   1 Answer
    • It's weird that ice floats on water, why is this?   1 Answer

Trainee Patent Attorney Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Carpmaels & Ransford.

Interview

Online interview with prerecorded questions. The first few were predictable personality/skills questions e.g. 'What are the qualities of a patent attorney and why do you suit the role' etc. Then there was some specific science knowledge questions.

Interview Questions

• 'What are the qualities of a patent attorney and why do you suit the role'   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Carpmaels & Ransford (London, England) in September 2020.

Interview

A recorded online interview where the questions were given through text and you have 30 seconds before you record your answer. After the recorded interview you can then get invited to an assessment day, but I don't know if I got through to this stage yet or not.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Carpmaels & Ransford (London, England) in December 2019.

Interview

For the first interview with a partner and senior associate I was asked to read a scientific article they provided and was asked questions about the methods in the article. They also asked for a piece of written work which I was asked questions about. There was also an English language test where I was asked to proof read a letter, and a technical test which involving drafting claims for a patent. After the first interview I also had the chance to chat to two current trainees to answer any questions I had.

The second interview was with 5 partners, who asked quite random questions. For this interview I was asked to prepare a 7 min presentation on the chemistry of chocolate. I gave my presentation, although they did often interrupt me. I found the first interview to be fun with the interviewers taking a genuine interest in my answers, however this wasn't the case with the second panel, who seemed more stand-offish and didn't always seem to be listening. I get the impression that not all of the partners enjoy the interview process.

The HR staff were very pleasant and helpful. However having said that, I was disappointed that after 2 interviews, tests and written work, I received an unsigned, automated email on Christmas Eve telling me I had been unsuccessful. This has left me with a rather negative impression of the experience overall.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Carpmaels & Ransford (London, England) in December 2019.

Interview

Three part interview: test (proof reading etc.), 2-on-1 interview, chat with current trainees about what the firm was like. Pretty streamlined and reasonably straightforward day but did feel a little like a production line than other firms I’ve interviewed at

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Carpmaels & Ransford (London, England) in November 2019.

Interview

I applied via the online application form with a CV and cover letter, and four weeks later was invited to a first stage interview in London. Beforehand, I was given a choice of two papers to study to prepare for the interview.

The day consisted of three stages: a technical test, then an interview and an informal chat with trainees.

The first stage involved a proof reading exercise and a written test on what part of an invention is patentable. All in all it was tricky, a bit time pressured but a good challenge.

After the interview, I had a lovely chat with two of the trainees, who were really engaging and answered all of my questions and gave me useful insights into the job and day-to-day life of a trainee.

The interview with a partner and senior associate was at times uncomfortable and not enjoyable at all. I came prepared to answer questions about myself and my interest in patents, as well as prepared to answer questions about patents and the paper I had chosen to study. Instead, the interview almost entirely focussed on 4 lines of the 6-page document I had been tasked to read, which I thought was a bit pointless if I'm honest. I was given no time to think, coaxed in the right direction and spoon fed the correct answer - again, a bit pointless. The body language of the people interviewing me was robotic and intimidating; they were dismissive and arrogant and created an environment in the room where I never felt at ease. The whole experience unsettled me and made me really question whether I still wanted to enter the profession.

The company didn't seem to care about me as a person, and by the end I could see in the interviewers' demeanour that it was a waste of everyone's time. I have never enjoyed an interview or assessment centre less.

An interview is a two-way process, and if this day was in any way supposed to encourage me to work at Carpmaels it was a total failure. I left feeling stupid, frustrated and uninspired.

Interview Questions

Carpmaels & Ransford Response

5 Oct 2020 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your review. We take our recruitment process very seriously, and value candidate feedback. If you are open to discussing your experience further, please do contact Gillian Davison, our Talent Acquisition Manager.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Carpmaels & Ransford (London, England) in December 2018.

Interview

I had a 40-minute interview with a partner and a senior associate, discussing the article they had previously sent me. Also discussed motivations for becoming a patent attorney and asked me a few questions about patent law. Briefly touched on my research project and asked some basic molecular biology questions.
    There was also a written exercises involving proofreading and evaluating an invention that is looking to be patented.
    Also had an informal chat with two Technical Assistants afterwards.

Interview Questions

• Does a patent give the owner the right to sell the drug?   Answer Question

Trainee Patent Attorney Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Carpmaels & Ransford.

Interview

I made a speculative application. I received a very quick and positive response along with an offer of an interview. However, the interview itself was dull and rather disappointing. I had a partner and senior associate. The partner did not appear to have read my CV and asked very unimaginative questions. The senior associate seemed quite nice and friendly but did not really get too involved. The partner's responses to my questions seemed bored. I had expected a much better interview process, to be honest. They also took forever to get back to me, by which point I had accepted an offer with another firm. It was a no, but based on the interview I wouldn't have accepted even if it had been a yes.

Interview Questions

• Nothing you haven't heard before - although I did get asked about some of my favourite case law, which was better than nothing.   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.