Chambers and Partners Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Interviews at Chambers and Partners

2.9

IT Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Holborn, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Chambers and Partners (Holborn, England) in June 2013.

Interview

I interviewed for an IT role in summer 2013, as part of my research I read about the experiences of others on this site. I can verify that all the negative experiences of others are 100% true.

It was a good thing that I had done my research on glassdoor so I wasn't surprised when I was asked some outrageously personal questions - if I'd been unprepared I would have terminated the interview immediately. Questions such as "what do you parents do?" and "why are you single?" have no place in a 21st-century interview for an IT role, for an experienced professional.

As it was, the various interview sessions were a textbook example of how to annoy, alienate and unsettle candidates to the point that there was no way they'd consider working there. It truly was the most hilariously bizarre and creepy afternoon of my life.

The afternoon was roughly broken down into a one-to-one session (creepy questions and colour-choice psychometric nonsense), some technical questions with a panel of the current incumbents (other than a language barrier this was OK), a logical-reasoning Mensa-style puzzle exam and another one-to-one interview. The last interviewer kept me waiting outside their office for at least 30-mins (I could continue doing the puzzle exam), it wasn't until I said I wasn't prepared to wait an longer that I was ushered in (since others have also experienced this, perhaps it's part of the selection process, maybe to see if you'll stand-up for yourself). This session included more intrusively personal questions.

By far the worst interview experience of my career, offer instantly declined.

Interview Questions

I wouldn't work for a company that thought this was a good way to recruit.

Accounts Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Chambers and Partners (London, England) in June 2015.

Interview

Truly a very strange process. I am glad I read the other reviews on here as I wondered if it was just me that found it odd. Everyone I met in this first interview was nice and approachable, that wasn't the problem: the format of the interview was. Started with HR and normal getting to know you questions then descended into something very strange. First a yes/no psychometric test that had the proviso that it had been widely discredited as an accurate test. Questions included 'Do you have nightmares' and 'Do you have a good appetite'. Then it was on to the colour test: a series of A4 sheets held up, showing 5 pairs of colours, I had to tick the one that appealed. By this stage I just wanted to either laugh or tick the darkest/gloomiest colour just for the hell of it. Then the worst bit, a half hour test of questions like ' if Timmy has 10 apples and Mary is a giraffe, then how many butterflies in a helicopter' Well not exactly but you get my drift. That all took about 1.5hrs. I then met the FC and he was really nice and asked normal questions but after 2hrs there I came out in a bit of a puzzled state. Like 'What on earth happened in there?' They also took my photo which I didn't like. After searching for more info on them and finding this site I declined the second interview.

Interview Questions

• The questions the interviewers asked were normal. The written psychometric test however wasn't. My favourite 'do you ever have nightmares?'   1 Answer

Administration Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Holborn, England

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Chambers and Partners (Holborn, England) in July 2015.

Interview

Had a preliminary interview with the office manager; they said their office was undergoing refurbishment but from other reviews it seems like it has been going on a while. The office manager talked me through the post but it seemed very vague and there was no real structure to the role. Then had to do some psychometric testing which seemed very irrelevant to the job role - the logic puzzles were a surprise but pretty easy once toy thought about them. The only distraction was that I had to do it in front of an office load of people.

I was actually going to be away when they contacted me about a second interview. I had specifically told them to contact me via email not by phone. At this point I was questioning their competency. I went to a second interview with their CEO Michael Chambers. He was 15 minutes late and really didn't seem interested in talking to me. Again I was probed for irrelevant information including what my brother was planning on doing. I then had to read through an article about the financial crisis and then write a summary deposits my role not requiring this skill. Chambers was uninterested in formally ending the interview and so I was escorted from the building by his assistant.

Interview Questions

• What I wanted to do in the future?
      What my parents did?
      Did I have any siblings and what were they planning on doing?   1 Answer

From other reviews and from my own experience I felt like the company was stocked with over qualified people. I didn't think it would be worth me staying there for a year and then leaving. The people are really nice but senior management does not seem to value its employees.

Editor Interview

Application

I interviewed at Chambers and Partners in March 2011.

Interview

Two stage interview process.

First interview I met with a guy from HR. Fairly standard questions about previous experience, education etc. but also personal questions about family and what my parents did. He did some stupid colour test to determine my personality.

Second interview I met with the head honcho. Again, a relaxed interview in the guy's office. Similar discussion to before. I was then made to read a six-page document on the role of credit rating agencies and their implication in the financial crisis. I had to memorise this and write it from memory. Absolute joke.

The money was awful, especially considering it was working nights.

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Chambers and Partners (London, England).

Interview

I was required to complete a series of psychometric and logic tests, including a "colour theory" test that determines your personality based on which colours you prefer. In the interview, the MD looked at my colour selections rather than at my CV. The logic tests were quite simple, and you can find the questions simply by googling "logic questions on a job interview". There were no competency-based questions, no questions about my past or experience, and no questions about how I would perform in the role. They did ask about my marital status, whether I owned or rented my home, what neighbourhood i lived in, and whether or not expanding my family was in the cards (all borderline illegal, IMO).

Interview Questions

• Do you think that I should use the same carpeting on the walls as on the floor in the new movie theatre I'm building in the basement of this building?   1 Answer

Editorial Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Chambers and Partners (London, England).

Interview

I have never been so disgracefully treated as a prospective employee. An initial interview including logic puzzle questions that were 100% irrelevant in terms of both subject and the skills that my chosen job required, followed by a wait of 5 weeks of silence. I had to contact them, and three days later I was told No.....then, one week later, Actually yes, come in for a second interview.
    Second interview entailed precisely zero questions about my chosen role or even myself - instead, I faced half an hour of pressing over the two puzzles that I didn't get. Just two, in the entire series of tests. Nothing about the job. Nothing about the actual editorial skills test that I apparently did very well on. Nope, I was pressed for half an hour on a puzzle about boxes of vegetable and wrong labels. I'm not making this up.
    I'm sure my irritation over giving up half a working day to be quizzed on boxes of vegetables had something to do with my second rejection 2 days later, despite being told I did well on the test that was ACTUALLY RELEVANT to the freelance role I was applying for.
    To sum up: the interview process was patronising, chaotic, confusing and above all, largely irrelevant to the actual subject matter. I cannot advise you strongly enough to avoid this strange, strange place.

Interview Questions

• 'Which box of vegetables with the wrong label should you point to?'   1 Answer

Editorial Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Chambers and Partners.

Interview

Initial interview with head of HR including a psychometric test, followed by interview with Michael Chambers including a written test from memory. Interview time lasted from an hour to an hour and a half.

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Chambers and Partners (London, England) in November 2018.

Interview

Chambers has changed management in the past six months and now runs “assessment days” to screen candidates. I interviewed for the position of Research Analyst with three other individuals. We met with the HR team and the Editor in Chief, did a few ice-breaker activities and then a group exercise. We had lunch with three Deputy Editors and one HR manager, then had two half hour interviews with the Deputy Editors.

Everyone was friendly , positive and as eager to make a good impression as we were! I left with a very good feeling about the company and the direction it is moving in now that it is under new management and accepted their job offer.

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Chambers and Partners.

Interview

Before the assessment day, they make you do a verbal reasoning test and ask you a few questions about the company. Fairly standard and good practice.

On the day, you are escorted into the building by someone from HR. She was friendly and approachable. Then you meet the HR manager - very nice and professional.

After getting an introduction to what they do and what is your role, they make you talk to and make you introduce another applicant. You then do a group test which I think they use to see if you can work in a group and if you have basic reasoning skills.

Finally, you are interviewed by two different people working for the company. They have a paper with the questions in front of them and have to fill them in... a bit too many questions... you don't need that many to see if you want to hire someone! Also, you don't need to follow the script too closely. Feels a bit uncomfortable.

Overall, my experience was positive, interview questions were standard, no weird stuff like people before me have mentioned. This is probably due to a change in management!

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Chambers and Partners (London, England).

Interview

After I had applied for the research analyst position I was given a verbal reasoning test and a written task. The written task involved answering two questions. The written task was fairly easy. I think that they use this task to assess your research skills.

After completing the two tasks, I was invited to the assessment centre when I participated in a group task and was interviewed by two different people. The interview questions were not that difficult to answer. As long as you are confident and can present yourself in a positive way then you will have nothing to worry about.

Overall the people that I met were very nice and welcoming. They made me feel relaxed and created a positive atmosphere.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.