City Pantry Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

City Pantry Interview Questions

Interviews at City Pantry

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at City Pantry (London, England).

Interview

Split into two stages. Stage 1: General discussion around the role which went absolutely fantastic. then next stage was a coding task where I had unbelievably horrible experience. The software development team is certainly run by bullies who made rude, humiliating comments and accusations.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself?
      Tell me about a time you had to balance competing deadlines. How did you organise the work to make sure everything was finished on time?   Answer Question

City Pantry Response

19 Oct 2020 – Head of Talent

We're really sorry to have to hear this. I believe you and I have spoken in more detail privately about this matter, and have apologised. Actions have been taken internally to ensure the feedback passed to you never happens again and is by far more constructive. Thanks for your comments

Senior Sales Manager - Enterprise Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at City Pantry (London, England) in July 2020.

Interview

Initial phone screen by Director of Finance, followed by a 3 30 Min video calls by Head of Account Management, Director of Finance and an Associate Product Manager.
    Later in the week a 30 minute interveiw with Head of Sales and Operations and a final panel interview with Director of Finance, Strategic Accounts manager and heald of marketing.

Interview Questions

• Sales strategy assesment on how to build an Enterprise pipeline.
      What misunderstanding might people have about you at work ?
      Various behavioural questions starting with..'Describe a time when'   Answer Question

Customer Experience Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at City Pantry (London, England) in November 2019.

Interview

It was quick, in terms of hearing back from City Pantry to find about the next steps, which was great! The face to face part of the interview process was quite long - 3 back to back interview with 2 members of the Customer Experience team and 1 with another employee from a different department, and then a tour around the office, but it was great to in terms of getting a sense of the company culture etc.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you've dealt with a challenging situation and how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at City Pantry (London, England) in October 2019.

Interview

The interview process was pretty extensive, with a focus on tech skills and social/culture fit. The steps I went through were:
    - short phone interview
    - technical assignment
    - 1:1 technical discussion
    - 1:1 technical exercise
    - 1:1 culture discussion

Interview Questions

• Difference between a smart and a presentational component in Angular.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at City Pantry (London, England) in September 2019.

Interview

Split into three. First HR. Then TDD pair programming with developer. Then whiteboard task with head of engineering. The TDD test is hard considering you only get 45 mins. High level of competition for the role.

Head of Performance Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at City Pantry (London, England) in August 2019.

Interview

Interview process was a screening call, followed by a three interviews back to back and then finally a task based interview.

Organisation was good and feedback was fast.

By having the back to back interviews it helped condense the entire interview process.

Head of CX Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at City Pantry (London, England).

Interview

A Pre-interview call to assess experience for 20 minutes followed by, 3 x 30-minute interviews with various stakeholders at management and senior management level, primarily assessing using scenarios and a few culture fit questions.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with conflict? All 3 asked the same question. It left the impression there was a lot of conflict about the role and that it wasn't widely supported.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at City Pantry (London, England) in July 2019.

Interview

I interviewed at City Pantry for the Account Manager role, my application was dealt with through a recruitment agency. Firstly there was a phone interview with the head of Account Management, I was then invited for a face-to-face interview where I sat through three separate interviews. The whole face-to-face interview lasted for around two and a half hours long.

The first interview was to see if I would be a good cultural fit which went really well. The second was with two members from the Account Management team where we did a role play about a client who wanted to stop using the City Pantry service. They gave really promising feedback and then asked me some questions about my experience and challenges I have faced when dealing with customers. The last interview was with the head of Account Management where we spoke about topics such as what I wanted in my next role and development.

The next day the recruiter called me and said that they were really impressed with my interview and there was very likely going to be an offer coming my way, so obviously I got my hopes up at this stage. I was then told that as a last step they wanted two references before even making an offer, one from your previous manager and one from your current manager (mine were both from the same company). I was not comfortable to give my current manager’s details for obvious reasons but they were happy to just accept the one.

Once the referencing was complete I got a call from the recruiter who said that they no longer wanted to move forward with my application as they did not think there was enough representation of me being a good team player. This was a real shame as there were so many positive points throughout the process and my current role is heavily involved in team work and I know that I am a good team player. I also emphasised during the interviews how important it is to me to work in a team who value and support each other. If you do apply just make sure you are ready to gives example of when you worked well in a team as clearly this was my downfall. That said, I understand that the hiring decision is very important as they are at a crucial time in their journey whilst wanting to scale across other cities and internationally, and the competition in London is generally just quite difficult anyway.

I have come away feeling obviously disappointed and confused that there was no offer as it has been mixed signals. I was really interested in the company and people and thought that I would bring a lot to the table with all the relevant experience which is what feedback I was given throughout the process. I also felt that it could have been handled slightly better in the sense I was given the expectation that an offer would be made, I know this is not City Pantry’s fault but the recruiters although perhaps the communication between the two could have been clearer before being relayed to me resulting in false hope.

Overall, the application process was really good and well structured, they have clearly thought long and hard about the interview process and the type of person they want to hire and I wish City Pantry all the best in finding the right hires to contribute to their team who seemed really lovely.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe a time where a customer caught you off guard and how you managed this?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at City Pantry (London, England) in July 2019.

Interview

Wednesday - telephone interview. Received an email after applying to take part in a telephone interview which was more like a friendly chat.

Thursday - invited to face to face interview with three managers. Most friendly and down to earth employers I have had the pleasure of being interviewed by. They made me feel at ease and so relaxed. I even got to have a beautiful iced coffee!

Friday - offered employment contract/offer with a more than fair salary! I didn't even feel the need to negotiate for more. Start work Monday!

Quick turnaround, friendly people, genuine and down to earth, easy quick and clear communication from start to finish. Couldn't have asked for a better recruitment process.

Head of Customer Experience Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at City Pantry.

Interview

It started off very strong! It took me 3 months to go from start to finish. I was told in my final interview I would hear an answer by the end of the week which did not happen. When it did, I was told they'd need another week as they had a few more candidates. At the end of that time, they said they'd need another week! By the time I had my final response, it had been exactly 1 month since my final stage interview and I was told that they'd offered the role to someone else, but they wanted to "keep me warm" in case the other candidate didn't pass referencing stage. Totally avoid, really unplanned recruitment cycle with no consideration for candidates, especially being told they wanted to "keep me warm!"

Interview Questions

City Pantry Response

14 Aug 2019 – Head of Talent

Thanks a lot for your feedback and I'm truly sorry to hear about your experience. We've had an interesting year, and as you can tell; i've been brought on to address and improve our process around recruitment and candidate experience. As much as it's apparent your experience was less than i'd expect; I can assure you that i'm taking your feedback incredibly seriously and will be addressing your concerns with internal team members. I personally don't want this happening again and will be looking to improve it off of the back of your feedback specifically. Thanks a lot nonetheless, and i'm really very sorry about your experience. I promise you we're trying to learn from experience (positive or negative) to make this a desirable place to work.

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.