Couchbase Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Couchbase Interview Questions

Interviews at Couchbase

Security Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Couchbase (New York, NY (US)) in October 2020.

Interview

Have to apply online, they email you for the interview first interview directly with the hiring manager. they used a video platform for the interview (Zoom). Two interviews, some behavioral questions, code reviews, and other technical questions. Prepare for go code review to find flaws in coding.

Vice President Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Couchbase.

Interview

Bad experience...after great positive interviews, I was completely ghosted. I put in time, effort and they didn't even have the decency to get back to me to tell me I didn't get the job???

Interview Questions

• They were typical sales management questions   1 Answer

UX Designer Interview

Interview

Typical interview process ensuring that basic qualifications are met and understanding what the candidate has to offer. The interviewer was pleasant and kept to the allotted time scheduled for the interview.

Interview Questions

• How have your past experiences prepared you for this position?   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Altadena, CA (US)

Application

I interviewed at Couchbase (Altadena, CA (US)) in June 2020.

Interview

I have 9 years of Sales Experience. 3 of those years directly related to the position I applied for with Couchbase. But within a hour I received notification that they weren’t moving forward with my application (no reason listed) I hope it’s not because I’m a beautiful black women!!

The following day I received another email notifying me that they weren’t moving forward with my application. I responded and then received a third!

Terrible way to treat anyone. Thanks a lot.

Solutions Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Couchbase.

Interview

The interview process took about two months from the initial contact with the recruiter until the final interview. Each phase included background on the company and technology as well as technical questions to ensure I had the skills necessary and, ultimately, a presentation to make sure I was capable of interfacing with customers.

Interview Questions

• I was asked a series of technical questions including performance, general database and SQL as well as typical what-if scenarios and light development.   Answer Question

Solutions Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Couchbase.

Interview

Standard process starting with HR, then video conference with the hiring manager. Then a panel presentation and finally with the head of the division. Very fair but also very thorough.

Senior Technical Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Couchbase in January 2020.

Interview

3 rounds after talking to the recruiter. 1st one was behavioral/situational. Other 2 were technical but in one of the round the questions were mainly focused on the CS concepts rather than technical support. The other one was mainly focused on technical support.

Interview Questions

• Apart from my background/experience related questions, one of the technical round focused on CS/Java concepts. Other one was technical but based on situation   Answer Question

Sales Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Couchbase (Santa Clara, CA (US)) in December 2019.

Interview

Very friendly, open, honest and kept me informed during the process. The recruiter was amazing. She responded to my email inquires in a very timely manner. I was not kept "waiting" for long, and was kept in the loop as to a few delays that happened due to interviewing during the Holiday season.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Couchbase.

Interview

The interview process consisted of 5 different interviews consisting of talks with several engineers and product managers. The topics were mostly technical and were used to see how much of a fit you would be for the role. There was some non technical questions, but that wasn't the majority.

Interview Questions

• Most questions were situational and were meant to gage technical aptitude. There was one technical screening test that touched on algorithms.   Answer Question

Senior Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Couchbase (San Francisco, CA (US)) in October 2019.

Interview

Oh man, red flags everywhere. My interview process consisted of two video conferences, each about an hour in length. Both were technical interviews.

The first interview was with the SRE team's manager. I answered a handful of more general technical questions and then did a coding exercise where I coached the manager through writing some code and then benchmarking it. This was generally an enjoyable process, however, when I had a chance to ask more questions at the end of our session, I discovered this manager did not actually work for Couchbase. Instead, he worked for an external consultancy that was brought in to stand up the SRE team, was in the process of swapping out their consultants for direct hires, and that he would eventually hire someone to swap out for him as well. This felt odd to me. The strangest question from this interviewer was effectively something along the lines of "are you ready to work non-stop", which was really concerning, but I said I was still interested in learning more.

The next interview was a mess to setup, because the manager changed the times last minute a couple times. He ultimately did not make the interview, but I did meet with two engineers from the current SRE team. This consisted of more broad technical / architectural discussions. I found out during this interview that neither of these individuals worked for Couchbase either! They were also from the external consultancy. Both individuals seemed somewhat unengaged and spoke negatively of Couchbase, saying the company didn't really know what it was doing with SRE and had multiple "false starts" with SRE initiative attempts. It was at the end of this interview I realized I was not interested in working for this company.

The manager scheduled another touch base, but rescheduled multiple times, before finally sending a quick "I can't make this meeting today" email and having an automated rejection message sent to me. Good riddance. This was an incredibly disappointing process, and it's clear Couchbase's only mission is to get big and IPO. If you want to be a cog worked to the bone and pick up a potential IPO lottery ticket, go for it. If you want to be treated like a human being, I would highly advise passing this company up.

Interview Questions

• Are you ready to work for a start-up? I mean, to really work hard?   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.