Coventry Building Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 31 Oct 2017

3.3

ELearning Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coventry, England

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Coventry Building (Coventry, England).

Interview

Applying internally have to go through same as external, application form, face to face interview, maths & English tests with role plays, group discussion and another activity of their choice.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you have when you have organised an event?   Answer Question

Apprentice Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coventry, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Coventry Building (Coventry, England) in August 2017.

Interview

After the initial online tests and pre-telephone screening the assessment center consisted of a group activity, spatial reasoning test and a formal interview. The formal interview was easy however did not contain any technical questions, there where a few scenario based questions which where fairly easy to answer. The only part of the process which was irritating was the time of any response back from the company for any stage of the process, or the fact that they would not give you a set time block where they would contact you thus waiting for hours not being able to do other tasks, this lead me to decline an offer.

Telephone Savings Advisor Interview

Application

Interview

I recently applied to work at the building society and feel that their interviewing process is very complicated and time consuming for the role I applied for. I did not feel this was a good way to do things unfortunately!

Human Resources Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coventry, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Coventry Building (Coventry, England) in July 2017.

Interview

Telephone interview with questions on my personality, skills, education, what I knew about the Coventry and then an assessment day. Generally a positive experience but it would have been nice to receive some feedback.

Marketing Specialist/Digital Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coventry, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Coventry Building (Coventry, England) in April 2017.

Interview

Where to start. I applied for the Digital Specialist role via an agency and got a rejection. I was then approached by a different agency for a Marketing Specialist role and got a rejection before I'd even submitted my CV - weird. A month later I was asked to come in for an interview for the Digital Specialist role - a role I was rejected from 2 months earlier. Interview lasted an hour and was intense. The two interviewers were very unfriendly and didn't make me feel comfortable at all. We all crammed into a tiny room and they were very direct in their line of questioning. The company felt very faceless, which is false advertising on their part - "TLC not PLC". Almost 3 weeks later, I haven't had any feedback at all despite the agency chasing it. I've now accepted an offer somewhere else and feel quite relieved to tell the truth. For a company that size, it was a really poor experience.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the business?   1 Answer

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Coventry Building in March 2017.

Interview

After applying I received a phone call for a quick chat about the role, I then did 2 online tests, then a 30 minute telephone interview. This then followed on to a face to face interview in branch which took around 2.5 hours, discussing yourself, relative job roles, a chance to sit behind the counter and talk to staff and a role play.

Root Cause Analysis Project Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coventry, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Coventry Building (Coventry, England) in March 2017.

Interview

The interview process for this role was quite a long one. To begin with I was contacted by the manager from that department directly, we has an informal conversation about the role and my experience and then scheduled a proper telephone interview for a couple of days later.

After completing a relatively relaxed telephone interview I was asked to complete x3 online assessments, one was a personality test, the other two were numerical reasoning and verbal reasoning. These were challenging but I managed to complete them within the time limit. I didn't get any feedback on how well I did at this stage but I assume I did OK.

After completing these I was sent some customer complaint data in Excel format and asked to create a 10-15 minute presentation summarising my findings and my recommendations. I would then have to present this in my face to face interview. Upon completion I sent the data over so it could be used on the big screen during my interview.

Next, the face to face interview. This was with the team manager, and the department manager- both were very welcoming and made me feel really relaxed. I started off by running through my presentation and answering any questions they had. We then discussed my reporting methods and how I managed to come to these conclusions. After that we went through a relatively standard competency based interview.

After being successful at this stage it was made clear that I had been shortlisted, along with one other candidate. I was asked to return the following day but not given any information on what i needed to prepare. On arrival I was asked to complete my presentation again, but this time they wanted to test my 'stakeholder management' skills. I presented to a gentleman who at times would stop me and challenge the data, or probe questions about certain points I had made. I thought I managed to handle this quite well all things considered.

Finally, I spent some time discussing the role with one of the interviewees (department manager). I found this really insightful because she was very honest about what they were looking for, what their reservations were and what they would expect from me.

I was contacted via email the following week to inform me I had not been successful as the other candidate had more industry experience. Throughout the whole process this was the only thing that I found a little frustrating. Personally after dedicating so much of my own time to this interview process I thought a phone call would have been a better way to discuss their decision and provide some feedback.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me a time where someone misinterpreted your point of view? How did you explain and convince them?   Answer Question
    • Can you tell me a time where you have managed various stakeholders?   Answer Question

Business Change Graduate Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coventry, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Coventry Building (Coventry, England) in February 2017.

Interview

Prior to the assessment day I completed an online application, online tests and a telephone interview which were fairly standard in line with any other graduate application process. The assessment day consisted of a group activity, an interview and an individual presentation. The individual presentation was the most difficult part as the information provided was very brief and so it was open to a lot of interpretation.

Interview Questions

• The interview consisted of a large amount of competency/strength based questions alongside general questions about education and questions regarding what you knew about the company.   Answer Question

Business Change Graduate Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coventry, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Coventry Building (Coventry, England) in February 2017.

Interview

Full Breakdown

1- Preliminary questions via email

Copy of email below:

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in our 2017 Graduate Programme. We’re keen to find out more about you, as we’re looking to find people who are as passionate about our values as we are. Please can you take some time to answer the following questions to support your application:

Q- Please confirm that you have successfully achieved (or are expecting to achieve) a 2:1 or above in your undergraduate degree or a merit or above in your masters qualification.

Q- Do you require a visa to work in the UK?

Q- Our values are at the heart of our organisation. They are Caring, Attentive, Reliable, Ethical and Straightforward; we’d like you to choose 1 value that you feel resonates with you, and tell us about a time when you have demonstrated this value. To keep it straightforward, please use 250 words.

Q- Think about the programme you’ve applied for. What motivated you to send us your application and what drives your passion for a career in this area? Please keep your response to a maximum of 250 words.

Thanks for your support with this! We will be reviewing your application and question responses as quickly as possible so please respond with your answers within 2 weeks from receiving this email.

2- Telephone interview (Yeah I know it is weird doing this before online testing)

3- Online verbal and numerical testing (SHL system basic testing, on assessment day 2 people at "random" chosen to do testing again to verify results)

4- Assessment day

*Start of Day* - 09:00

This involved a brief introduction to the HR team and the current business change team and senior leadership.

*Short Break*

Group exercise, task involved for you as a team to choose which improvements (provided on a list with corresponding cost) to make to a fictional company with a limited budget. In this case, the company was an online clothing company.

This was a basic group based exercise, whilst you do the task each candidate has a bank employee assigned to make notes on your input in the discussion. Therefore, you will find yourself being stared at by a bunch of people. Additional to the group information, each individual is given unique pieces of information on separate sheets to help convince the group on your suggestions. Further, the bank says they are looking for strong arguments supported by only the evidence provided.

*Short Break*

2-on-1 interview, with managers from business change. General questions about your motivation, why you choose this bank. Further about your CV, experience, and educational attainments. Further questioning about any major life achievements at work or personal. Also questions on your strengths and weaknesses.

The interview itself was basic and nothing too challenging, was enjoyable and relaxed.

*Short Break*

I was chosen for "randomised" SHL testing (shortened version). Before test began laptop mouse did not work, for some reason no USB mosque could be found. So test was abandoned at the request of assessors. (Provided valuable insight into the technology of the bank)

*Short Break*

Presentation on business change, 40 minutes solitary prep time and 10 minutes for presentation. All information provided on the day NOT beforehand.

You have an option to make presentation on power point or using a whiteboard and markers.

The topic was about how you would manage a business change project involving the bank offering pet insurance products to its customers. You are provided with a fact sheet about the pet insurance market and general stats.

I messed up as I focused heavily on the market itself and regurgitating the information on the fact sheet, highlighting key areas of focus and/or areas I felt further development was required. They were looking more for practicalities regarding what business change systems you would use and processes. It may be worthwhile reading up on this or talking to a industry professional about how to manage projects in general what systems and processes you would use. Further, maybe mention milestones and staff development.

*End of Day* - 16:30

I would just like to add this bank is undergoing a lot of change, seems to be stuck in the past, suffering from a lot of "technical debt" (AKA archaic systems and IT, their words not mine, signalled by having no USB mouse)

For example when we had our interview, they were promoting the transition from their old website to a new one. I was surprised as it was 2017 and most banks did this change many years ago. In addition, they were in the process of installing new phone systems and IVR, which I was surprised to learn. Additionally at this time (Feb - 2017) they had no digital recruitment system so everything was done via email even initial application.

Interviews are a two way process. Personally even though I did not get the job it is not a bank I would voluntarily work for.

Interview Questions

• Our values are at the heart of our organisation. They are Caring, Attentive, Reliable, Ethical and Straightforward; we’d like you to choose 1 value that you feel resonates with you, and tell us about a time when you have demonstrated this value. To keep it straightforward, please use 250 words.   Answer Question
    • Think about the programme you’ve applied for. What motivated you to send us your application and what drives your passion for a career in this area? Please keep your response to a maximum of 250 words.   Answer Question

Graduate Leadership Position Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Coventry Building in May 2016.

Interview

The hiring process is quite quick, in all it took about 2 weeks from when I submitted my application till I was called for an interview. You are asked to explain how you have demonstrated one of the values of the Building society. The interview questions are strength based.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.