D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm Generalist Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm Generalist Interview Questions

Interviews at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY (US)) in March 2020.

Interview

Pleasant. Recruiter was very friendly. I sort of bombed it, didn’t do enough research and got stuck on a resume specific question. Don’t think I would’ve been a good fit anyway.

Interview Questions

• Why DE shaw?

Talk about a project that you did

Interviewer specific questions   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm

Generalist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

Interview

I applied online through the company's website.
    Then I was contacted to schedule a phone interview after two weeks. The interview was scheduled two weeks from the date contacted. The interview consisted of behavioral and technical questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY (US)) in November 2019.

Interview

First round is phone interview, followed by superday. First-round was with someone from their IT department which is one of the departments you might be placed to. Interviewer seemed extremely disinterested from the start and looked like he was just going through a list of questions - he definitely wanted to be doing his normal job over intern interviews so not surprised at all about the outcome.

Interview Questions

• What is the approximate weight of all animals in the world?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY (US)) in November 2019.

Interview

First round- phone call with general behavior and resume questions and time to ask the interviewer questions.
    Second round- super day with 5 interviewees, 30min each. Some brainteasers and case study like questions

Interview Questions

• How would you calculate how many people use the Metro-North subway system every day? Whiteboard available   Answer Question

Generalist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

Interview

Submitted resume online, got an email a week later to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview lasted about 30 minutes. Pretty straightforward, typical questions; then interviewer briefly described their background, the role, and gave me an opportunity to ask some questions.

Generalist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in July 2019.

Interview

After submitting an application online, I had a phone screening. We spoke for about an hour on various topics. This included, previous experience, my knowledge of the company, long-term goals, etc.

Interview Questions

• Q: What's one belief you have that your peers do not share?   Answer Question

Generalist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phila, PA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (Phila, PA (US)) in April 2019.

Interview

The first round was at a college fair. The interviewer was funny, chill and cool. She was in a hoodie even. But I did not hear back till 6month later. They said they didn't have much to offer last time, but would like me to interview again for the upcoming year. I had a phone interview but this time is really awkward. The other side of the phone did not respond at all and I don't know if she's still listening. It's like talking to myself for 30 minutes. I know I won't be able to continue further in this job right after hanging up the phone.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume.
      Some questions on my resume.   1 Answer

Generalist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY (US)) in January 2019.

Interview

I submitted my application on their online site and received an email from an HR recruiter requesting a phone screen after a week. I then had a one-hour phone screen, followed by a day-long onsite interview. The whole process took about a month for me, from submitting my application to receiving my offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your research experience.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY (US)) in December 2018.

Interview

Lots of questions about past work experience, projects for classes, a few math/conceptual problems (these were really hard). A few "case" type questions that weren't super difficult, so wouldn't worry too much about this.

Generalist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY (US)) in October 2018.

Interview

I applied online, the process took one day. Later I was asked to answer to a phone interview that took around 45 minutes. There they asked me about my major, my research interests, and then we went through my resume. For my on sight interview- we had a series of back to back interviews that lasted all morning. A lot more behavioral questions and then some brain teasers. The Monty Hall problem was present as well as the relative value of a dice roll.

Interview Questions

• They asked me why I decided to major in history?   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.