DataStax Sr. Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

DataStax Sr. Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at DataStax

3.3

Sr. Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at DataStax in June 2019.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me sounding very enthused. When I finally had the initial tech interview it was pretty low quality: we never got a real conversation going, and the interviewer just read off a standard list of behavioral questions like you might pull out of a manual. The day after, they selected a candidate who had already been through the full set of interviews, which means I didn't knock their socks off - fine, I'll accept that - but left me feeling like they had a choice but weren't fully confident in themselves, "what if we try just one more just in case we find something better". Didn't leave me with a good impression.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you made a bad decision   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for DataStax

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at DataStax in July 2018.

Interview

I applied with Datastax at the end of June in 2018. A recruiter got in contact with me shortly after in the beginning of July. The interview process was very smooth and easy going. Datastax is a distributed team and all of the interviews were done online. I met with 6 different people from the company. The process took about 4 weeks overall since there were so many people to meet with in order to determine my technical skills as well as my cultural fit. Everyone I interviewed with were all extremely friendly, knowledgable, and easy going during the process. I can say it was the best interview process that I have been through. Even though everyone is spread out and in different timezones, they were all still available and flexible when it came to scheduling interviews without delay. The recruiters were extremely fast with getting back to me in order to schedule the next interview and answering any questions that I might have. I was extremely excited to accept the offer after hearing so much about the company, team, culture, etc.

Interview Questions

• Asked about my previous work experience and what tech stacks I have been using   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at DataStax.

Interview

I initially met some DataStax employees at a local meetup. It was a lot of fun; they were very friendly and open.

After I started the application process, I talked to an HR person over the phone for 30-45 mins. She discussed the role and verified my technical skills.

Next, I talked to a team lead over Skype for about an hour. We talked about some technical topics and some team dynamics topics.

Finally, they assigned me a live ticket from the Cassandra task tracker, and asked me to submit a code patch. This was challenging, as it involved get the codebase up and running, and digging through a lot of undocumented legacy code in order to tackle the issue. I estimate it took 25 hours overall. They put me in touch with a senior engineer and their dev IRC channel for help, but the engineer was very terse, the chat channel was pretty dead, and I found it hard to ask for help without seeming like I was struggling. Overall I felt it was an unforgiving way to test an engineer.

In the end I did not complete the ticket, as the time required to completely solve the issue was interfering with my interview schedule with other companies.

Interview Questions

• I do not recall specifics, but the HR manager and the lead asked about my technical qualifications and team experiences.   Answer Question
Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.