DataStax Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

DataStax Interview Questions

Interviews at DataStax

3.1

Freelancer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at DataStax (Albuquerque, NM (US)) in June 2018.

Interview

It’s kind of short they just ask you a couple questions! They do it over a conversation app which made me a little more comfortable than doing an in person interview!

Product Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at DataStax (San Francisco, CA (US)) in April 2018.

Interview

They are an online company. Most of their engineers support the product remotely. All interviews were conducted online with videoconferencing software. All interviewers were very friendly and supportive. Response and next interview setup was very quick. Very responsive employer.

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at DataStax (Austin, TX (US)) in March 2018.

Interview

Gave them my resume at career fair and received an email from the guy I talked to there about a week later. Had a phone screening just talking about the job position and then the guy sent an tech challenge with no deadline or time constraints. Tech screen was basically creating a program that tests if certain files were correct or incorrect. Took me a while to understand the instructions.

Due to my schedule and various questions I had, the challenge took me about 3 weeks to finish but someone else could have pounded this out in a day or weekend if they had the free time and no questions. During the 3 weeks I worked on it, I actually submitted it twice, but the first time, my output was wrong due to miscommunication with the guy, so I re-submitted it. About a week later, I got a phone offer.

Overall, they were very accommodating, friendly, and relaxed. They were very understanding of my busy schedule as a student.

Interview Questions

• Create a program that tests if certain files were correct or incorrect   Answer Question

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at DataStax in March 2018.

Interview

We first had a video call where I was given an overview of my potential team's responsibilities and of the company as a whole. I spent about half the time asking questions about the company. After the call, I received instructions and test data for a technical problem. Those materials were well put together. It took a few hours to produce a solution I was happy with. Within a week I was notified that the position was filled.

Prefer Not to Say Interview

Anonymous Employee in Telephone, TX (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at DataStax (Telephone, TX (US)) in February 2018.

Interview

Each applicant seems to go through 6-9 Interviews. Each interviewer asks a different set of questions so it does not seen redundant. Goal is to ensure you and they will visualize a fit into the culture.

Interview Questions

• Questions to see if you are able to transition from a large company with lots of support staff to a smaller company where you are accountable and responsible for all aspects of your business.   1 Answer

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at DataStax (Santa Clara, CA (US)) in January 2018.

Interview

The interview was very different from other places I've applied to. Initially is your standard Recruiter / Director / Peer interview. But as a way to analyze your strength in knowledge and willingness to learn they put you through a Flight Exercise where they provide a few instructions with the purpose of seeing how you manage to figure things out. IMO that is the BEST way to know someone's is really fit for the job, not many people are willing to take the time but those who ARE REALLY interested, those are most likely to get chosen. Amazing experience, which made me really proud to accept the job and work there.

Interview Questions

• Why are you leaving your current company?
      How would you do a database platform sale since it requires designing and architecture?   Answer Question

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at DataStax (Santa Clara, CA (US)) in January 2018.

Interview

There were a total of six 1-hour video interviews, across three weeks, out of which three interviews were technical. I also received a task on installing core DataStax products and provide feedback, along with a sample ticket to research and answer as I would answer to a customer. After all done, the hiring manager checks the references and the 6 interviewers will form a panel to notify on the outcome of each interview. First interview was with the hiring manager, last one with the VP. I received feedback from the hiring manager on his decision three days after the last interview.

The technical interviews took place after the task above was completed (so by this time I was somewhat familiar with the products) and were all over the place, the two main starting points being either the knowledge required to troubleshoot an application like Cassandra or the highlights listed in the resume. The interviewers don't split the topics between each other, they could probe on similar areas, I suggest not to set them the same day, to give yourself time to bounce in case one goes south.

After the verbal offer a background check was performed by a 3rd party, which took quite a while in my case, opposed to a 4-5 days average.

Interview Questions

• Tech questions were around Linux, JAVA, Networking, DB, Cloud, etc.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at DataStax in January 2018.

Interview

4 -6 weeks.. initial discussion with hiring manager, technical exercise, two rounds of telephone interview with senior architects...all rounds went well and even the hiring manager send "excellent work" as feedback for the technical evaluation which is basically learning Cassandra from scratch and doing a intermediate level submission in 2 weeks..then everything went quite for sometime and i tried reaching out to them via my recruiter and also sent a parallel request for feed back to my hiring manager...i was kinda upset when the recruiter me told me that i was not to be considered anymore... but then after sometime i got a email saying that there was some miscommunication and he would like to go for the final presentation round.....it went well...very supportive interview process mostly focused on trying to evaluate candidates strong points rather than finding the negative ones...

Interview Questions

• lots of question about why would you use mongodb over cassandra, how would you handle conflicts at job   1 Answer

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Remote, OR (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at DataStax (Remote, OR (US)) in November 2017.

Interview

This was the most time consuming interview process I've seen in 30 years of software work.

- One hour phone screen
    - Build a system to implement a service as defined by them, deploy it to AWS, and provide an https URL for the API. About 16 hours work if you know what you are doing.
    - 5 more one hour phone interviews

After I submitted the system implementation coding effort, I head nothing for a couple of weeks. Was told that this was a new process and that they were trying to ramp up to hire many developers.

At one point the hiring manager at Datastax called me to check that I was still interested after was some confusion about availability dates, which I submitted multiple times as they kept expiring.

All along I heard nothing but positive feedback from both the recruiter and the hiring manager. Both kept assuring me that my implementation was the both cleanest and done in the least amount of time, and that I was currently the top candidate for the role.

The one exception to the overall positive tome was the final interview of the 5 where I felt like someone was asking me things that only someone with very specific recent experience could answer. Almost like someone trying to show how much more they knew than I did. terrible connection too. They were calling from India and all I could hear was a huge amount of static, which they would break through on occasion, when I stopped to ask if they could hear me, and was assured to keep going, so I kept on talking to the static. Super hard to understand accent, bad connection, etc. That last one was just plain weird.

The recruiter mentioned several times that Datastax was filling multiple positionsand that there were some 10 candidates that had all been going through this process, some of which had spent weeks on the problem implementation. I spent my thanksgiving break working on this to get it done in one shot.
    I know the quality of my work was good as I submitted it as an example for the GitHub project it used ad it was immediately accepted.

Many delays and assurances over the next 2 weeks but that I was still the top candidate and that I was schedules to go to a hiring committee imminently.

They asked for and I submitted references (All of which said they were never contacted)

Then, to my complete surprise, the recruiter says Datastax had cancelled all recs and was going to promote internally instead. Recruiter said he was fed up working with this client as they had consumed many hours of his time as well as the engineers he represented.

I tried to followup with the hiring manager as well as a senior manager I had spoken to in one of the interviews directly, and was assured that I would get some details on why this happened.
    I still haven't gotten an explanation for this and at this point don't expect to.

I find the practice of putting so many people through such exhaustive paces, and then simply dropping them with no explanation completely unacceptable.

Reading back through some other Glassdoor Datastax interviews, this seems to be a common practice for Datastax.

All contact was via google hangouts video chat sessions so disregard location below.

Interview Questions

• How do you configure a NIC ic a VM?   1 Answer

OpsCenter Enterprise Developer Interview

Interview

I had a wholly unpleasant experience interviewing with this company. The interviewer seem disorganized and wasn't honest on the whole.

I asked about the codebase, the general working conditions and the day-to-day operations. The interviewer seemed to be covering up alot of things, making it seem better than it actually was.

A couple of red flags:

Doesn't seem like they can keep engineers on staff. The pay seems to be very low.

Also, doesn't appear to be a good work-life-balance. Overworked staff and understaffed teams.

I'd pass.