DataStax Principal Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Interviews at DataStax

1 Interview Review

4.0

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Remote, OR (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at DataStax (Remote, OR (US)) in November 2017.

Interview

This was the most time consuming interview process I've seen in 30 years of software work.

- One hour phone screen
- Build a system to implement a service as defined by them, deploy it to AWS, and provide an https URL for the API. About 16 hours work if you know what you are doing.
- 5 more one hour phone interviews

After I submitted the system implementation coding effort, I head nothing for a couple of weeks. Was told that this was a new process and that they were trying to ramp up to hire many developers.

At one point the hiring manager at Datastax called me to check that I was still interested after was some confusion about availability dates, which I submitted multiple times as they kept expiring.

All along I heard nothing but positive feedback from both the recruiter and the hiring manager. Both kept assuring me that my implementation was the both cleanest and done in the least amount of time, and that I was currently the top candidate for the role.

The one exception to the overall positive tome was the final interview of the 5 where I felt like someone was asking me things that only someone with very specific recent experience could answer. Almost like someone trying to show how much more they knew than I did. terrible connection too. They were calling from India and all I could hear was a huge amount of static, which they would break through on occasion, when I stopped to ask if they could hear me, and was assured to keep going, so I kept on talking to the static. Super hard to understand accent, bad connection, etc. That last one was just plain weird.

The recruiter mentioned several times that Datastax was filling multiple positionsand that there were some 10 candidates that had all been going through this process, some of which had spent weeks on the problem implementation. I spent my thanksgiving break working on this to get it done in one shot.
I know the quality of my work was good as I submitted it as an example for the GitHub project it used ad it was immediately accepted.

Many delays and assurances over the next 2 weeks but that I was still the top candidate and that I was schedules to go to a hiring committee imminently.

They asked for and I submitted references (All of which said they were never contacted)

Then, to my complete surprise, the recruiter says Datastax had cancelled all recs and was going to promote internally instead. Recruiter said he was fed up working with this client as they had consumed many hours of his time as well as the engineers he represented.

I tried to followup with the hiring manager as well as a senior manager I had spoken to in one of the interviews directly, and was assured that I would get some details on why this happened.
I still haven't gotten an explanation for this and at this point don't expect to.

I find the practice of putting so many people through such exhaustive paces, and then simply dropping them with no explanation completely unacceptable.

Reading back through some other Glassdoor Datastax interviews, this seems to be a common practice for Datastax.

All contact was via google hangouts video chat sessions so disregard location below.

Interview Questions

• How do you configure a NIC ic a VM?   1 Answer
Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.