Databricks Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Databricks Interview Questions

Interviews at Databricks

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Databricks (San Francisco, CA (US)).

Interview

I have a PhD in Computer Science from a top school, and was referred by a friend. The process was as follows:
    - Talked to a cofounder over the phone about the company (vision, status, interview process, etc)
    - Phone interview
    - Onsite interviews (gave a talk about my PhD research, followed by 5 sessions including lunch)
    - Coding assignment

The hardest interview question I got in all my interviews was from Databricks. There was one question that started innocently simple, but expanded into fancy algorithms, computer architecture, cache locality, and API design.

Interview Questions

• A lot of algorithmic questions, design questions, and systems level optimization questions   1 Answer
    • A lot of behavior questions as well   1 Answer
    • A non-trivial coding assignment   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Databricks (Berkeley, CA (US)) in August 2014.

Interview

4 technical interviews on either algorithms or coding questions. 1 interview with CEO about background and general back and forth. Casual lunch with Databricks folks. Take home coding assignment that took about 6 hours to complete.

Interview Questions

• Write the code to find the median of an array in expected constant time. Now do it assuming the array is distributed across many machines.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Databricks.

Interview

Two technical phone screens and a day-long at-home coding challenge. Their unprofessional recruiting staff missed appointments and didn't reply to emails, even very late in the interview process. Don't waste your time dealing with them.

Interview Questions

Databricks Response

21 Mar 2016 – Head of Design

Thank you for sharing your experience, appreciate you letting us know. We are growing so fast and sometime things do not go perfectly. Sorry you had an unproductive experience. We will look into it... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Databricks (San Francisco, CA (US)) in April 2016.

Interview

Least professional interview process so far.

First, they called me on the wrong day, which led to a very uncomfortable interview experience. They did however acknowledge the mistake and had me reinterviewed. For the next interview, after asking for my availability, they scheduled an interview at a time that I clearly said doesn't work for me. After two phone interviews following the mistaken one, I was told me that the last step would be a coding challenge as I am applying for an internship. However, after doing well on that, they asked for another on-site interview. I reminded the recruiter that I’d been told the last step would be the coding challenge and informed them that I would need to decide in 2 weeks (giving exact date), so an on-site would be impossible. She corrected herself and said that all that's left is reference check.

Immediately after I sent the references, she came back again and asked for another interview. We scheduled that for the next day. I assume they wanted to test something spark related on their platform, but the interviewer couldn't get their website to send me a confirmation link for my account in time, and his direct invites didn't work either, so we did some more basic coding questions. Not sure why this was necessary as he literally asked me to write the simplest recursion possible. He even asked me multiple times if I had seen the question before, which was absurd as no one remembers something as trivial as if they have written a for loop with an increment of 9. It felt more like a test of honesty than anything else. On top of all this, the interviewer for my coding challenge was 35 minutes late because of Bart, and seeing how all he had to do was send me the email with the challenge, I don’t see why someone else couldn’t it instead.

At this point, they had 5 full business days after all the interviews were done and more than that with my references, before the deadline that I gave them. I emailed them once during the last week to ask if they need something to speed up the process and ensure nothing is blocking them. They didn't tell me anything before the deadline.

3 business days later, I emailed them to make them tell me that day what they are deciding. It was only then that they emailed me and finally rejected me. One of my references said they cancelled the call with him the week before, so if they had decided then, I don't see why they wouldn't tell me.

The interview questions are pretty standard. The coding challenge took 6+ hours the first day before I sent it for review, and then about 4 hours the second day. I can't judge its difficulty correctly, but given that I spent most of the time figuring out how to write proper tests and doing synchronization in Java and got a positive feedback, I don't think it should be a problem for anyone more familiar with those things. The whole process took 6+ weeks.

Would NOT recommend interviewing here.

Interview Questions

Databricks Response

2 Jun 2016 – Senior Recruiting Manager

We sincerely apologize you had a bad interview expereince with us. Admittedly our Intern Software Engineering interview process is not fully flushed out and we're working on streamlining the... More

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Databricks.

Interview

I applied online and got a technical phone screen set up. The problem was simple to solve brute force and didn't require much more thinking to solve optimally. However, for some reason, the interviewer felt I didn't know what I was talking about and began grilling me with questions about my solution. I answered all of them correctly, but he was still skeptical, so he asked me to implement one of the data structures used in my solution. The interviewer had indicated previously that this was to be a warmup question, but due to the follow-up questions, we never ended up getting to anything complex or interesting. I just ended up getting yelled at to explain basic syntax and data structure concepts. I don't understand where the interviewer's arrogance came from considering I have work experience at top companies and a degree from a top school, and I answered all his questions satisfactorily. He even said my solution was correct and optimal after I explained everything to him. It's a shame that the interviewer was so arrogant - Databricks sounded like an awesome company and I would have loved to learn more about it.

Interview Questions

• For each index, find the minimum element within k indices prior to that index.   1 Answer

18 Apr 2016 – Head of Design

Apologize that your experience was not the greatest, we will check into this and make sure our phone interviews don't come across as a negative experience. Our process isn't perfect yet and we are... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Databricks (San Francisco, CA (US)) in November 2017.

Interview

HR Phone Call, Phone Interview, Take Home Coding Assignment, ...
    After I spent 2 days working on that coding assignment, they sent me a reject letter. Before my submission, an engineer from this company called me and discussed this project. He said I was on the right track and was doing great. Afterwards I asked for feedback, it was all silence. No one replied anymore. It was a COMPLETELY WASTE OF TIME. Don't fall for it guys. If your time is precious, don't waste any on this company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Databricks (San Francisco, CA (US)) in September 2017.

Interview

Fairly standard process. Recruiter schedules phone screen, phone interview with short technical screen, and then onsite. Everyone was really nice onsite and I talked to over ten people, but in the end the recruiter was very unprofessional. She told me I would be given feedback and a result a day or two after my onsite but ended up not replying at all. I followed up and asked for any kind of feedback and there was no response. I expected that I was rejected, but at least just send an email or something.

Interview Questions

• Mostly programming questions. Final question was more of a design question that got harder as we went on.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Databricks (San Francisco, CA (US)) in October 2017.

Interview

Phone interviews, take-home assignments, and a day of on-site interviews. The entire process was very smooth. They have the smartest engineers I've ever met. Interview questions are challenging.

Interview Questions

• Algorithm and design questions   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

They want me to work on an assignment. After I spend 6 hours finishing this assignment, they sent me a reject letter. I think this is a waste of time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Databricks (San Francisco, CA (US)).

Interview

TL;DR: I should have looked at the Glassdoor reviews before picking up the phone, don't waste your time here - many red flags about their culture.

• Technical sourcer reached out to me for a role that sounded great (job description was for a specific role; written to be very inclusive and right up my alley and skillset).
    • Technical sourcer was slow to reply, finally scheduled a recruiter call.
    • Recruiter said she got double-booked and rescheduled the day before.
    • Recruiter was late to the call, and didn't apologize or acknowledge.
    • Recruiter was disorganized when on the call: asked what my background was even though she was looking at my resume or LinkedIn, said they weren't looking for non-traditional backgrounds. Had an extremely haughty and dismissive attitude around my abilities (I declined to mention that I have previously had a FAANG offer.) Asked what role I applied for (hello, your technical sourcer is the one that reached out - I didn't apply to anything.)
    • Recruiter then said they'd be happy to do a technical interview anyway, which they outsource to a third-party company. Ghosted anyway.

From this and other reviews, seems like the technical sourcer and recruiters aren't aligned at all and are fairly disorganized. It also seems like the engineers there only care about finding people who wipe themselves with red-black trees in the morning, regardless of any other applicable skills, and have enough of a better-than-thou attitude that they can't be bothered to interview the people that they'd work with day-to-day.

Like hires like - maybe 300 Leetcode hard problems are really relevant to their day-to-day job. Maybe they're secretly a thinktank for solving P vs. NP. But overall, I'd avoid unless that's the kind of culture you're looking for, or love wasting your time.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.