Department for Work And Pensions Administrative Officer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Department for Work And Pensions Administrative Officer Interview Questions

Interviews at Department for Work And Pensions

Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Department for Work And Pensions (Newcastle upon Tyne, England) in November 2019.

Interview

I applied online on the civil service website and submitted my personal background information, no cv was required. I was then invited to do a couple of online tests which were unrelated to the position but working for the civil service there are a lot of opportunities to develop so I believe these tests are helpful in the long run. If you are successful in completing the online tests you are then invited to complete the application form which was one question about Managing a Quality Service. Information on the different behaviours and competencies can be found on the website. I was then invited to an interview which was in front of two people. They were very welcoming and made me feel at ease and explained what would happen throughout the interview and explained that it would last for 25 minutes however I think that I was in there much longer. I was asked warmup questions which you're not marked on: What attracted me to the job advert and I can't remember the other one. The interview then began and you are asked questions surrounding the competencies stated in the job description, for each competency you are asked a strengths question and a behavioural question. Don't stress about it as you are able to use your notes so make sure that you prepare beforehand and they are very understanding if you need time to think just say so and they will be patient.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you have managed a quality service   3 Answers
  • Describe a time when you have delivered to pace   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Department for Work And Pensions

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newcastle, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Department for Work And Pensions (Newcastle, England) in November 2019.

Interview

An online Application and a scenerio based online multiple choice test follows by a face to face interview. The interview question were mainly to assess your attitude and way of thinking. The turn around took two weeks or so.

Interview Questions

• A challenging situation you have faced and how you overcame it?   Answer Question
    • A difficult decision you had to make at work?
      - How would you have done things differently in hindsight?   Answer Question
    • A time when you have gone the extra mile for someone?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Liverpool, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Department for Work And Pensions (Liverpool, England) in February 2019.

Interview

Apply online. Then complete sift online tests. If successful Invited to assessment centre. Complete written Case study tests and if pass these then invited to a panel interview. Informated if successful then and there.

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Department for Work And Pensions (Birmingham, England) in September 2018.

Interview

The interview was formal but friendly. A panel of two where one asked questions and one made notes.
    They asked everyone the same questions. It lasted about 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a little bit about yourself, which was an ice-breaker, followed by 3 competency based questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seaham, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Department for Work And Pensions (Seaham, England) in June 2018.

Interview

Applied for the position online via Civil Service jobs. Application form required to fill in one competency "Managing a Quality Service", then complete an online verbal reasoning test to be sifted (passed at 98%). I was then contacted about a week later needing to arrange a time for an interview. The interview was very straightforward and relatively easy considering the application said I would be measured against 4 competencies during the whole application process. These were "Managing a quality service", "Delivering at pace", "Collaborating with a partner" and "Making effective decisions". Only these 4 questions were asked in the interview in the style of "Give an example of where you have managed a quality service..." so nothing unpredictable. Luckily I prepared answers for these (and nothing else) as these were the competencies listed in the job profile.

Before the interview I was greeted by two women who took my identity documents and we had a nice chat. Then one of my interviewers came to get me and took me in a room where another lady was sitting. They were both really nice and put me at ease - didn't make me feel intimidated or overly nervous.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time you have managed a quality service   1 Answer
    • Give an example of a time you have had to make an effective decision (and something to do with problem solving I think)   1 Answer
    • Give an example of a time when you have had to deliver at pace   1 Answer
    • Give an example of a time when you have collaborated with a partner (with a follow up question of what I learned from this)   1 Answer

Administrative Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Department for Work And Pensions in January 2018.

Interview

The whole interview process (from application to interview and formal offer) took 2 months and you'll find that is the norm with DWP.

The competencies are very simple - Just think of 1 example in your life whether in work or voluntary that fits the competency and write it down thoroughly on PC or paper. You are absolutely allowed to refer to your notes during the interview. Do not fear referring to your notes - you will NOT be marked down.

I had 1 example for each competency but you are more than welcome to write down 2 for each. It is absolutely imperative that you read and revise from your notes and practise daily up until to your interview. I was given 2 weeks notice for my interview and would put in 1-2 hours of revision every day (intensive revision 2-3 days before said interview)

You will be interviewed by 2 people they are absolutely wonderful so there is no need to worry. They will not try to trip you up. They will ask for clarity and/or more details if they require but that may not be the case if you have answered the competency in complete detail.

Prior to the interview make sure you get caffeine down you so you are fully awake.

Finally, go in there with your head held high, make sure you have revised as best as you can. It's all about preperation and determination.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Department for Work And Pensions (Birmingham, England).

Interview

I applied for the AO role in Disability Operations, scored 4 on all competencies which were; Managing a quality service, Making effective decisions, Delivering at pace, collaborating and partnering and then went onto completing a Verbal Reasoning Test. I was accepted to an interview, which went really well, with 2 interviewers, who came across quite decent and nice to talk to - not so intimidating; the interview itself was pretty thorough, which included me having to answer competency based questions in further detail. The overall process so far has been great, but I am still awaiting feedback on whether I have been accepted for the role or not.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you have had to adapt to a radical change and how it affected customers.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Department for Work And Pensions (Bristol, England) in August 2017.

Interview

Very long interview process and even longer hiring process.
    I applied online, then was invited to complete online quiz and finally to actual interview.
    Whole process is entirely based on framework by dwp of course. All you need to do is read revise and just do your homework. Very much school like experience in terms of interview.
    I was interviewed by panel of 2 people in Bristol. They were lovely, trying to put me at ease ( I was extremly stressed!) . I didnt think my interview went very well due to my stress levels ( and feedback) but I wasnt surprised when I received info that ill be put on reserve list. And just two weeks later I was offered job position. And since offer it was a process of over 4 months to start working...........

Interview Questions

• Tell me about time when you had to Deliver quality service at pace   1 Answer
    • Managing a quality service
      Making effective decisions   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ramsgate, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Department for Work And Pensions (Ramsgate, England) in July 2017.

Interview

You have to do a strange test online and the results were completely different from what I feel i'm good at.
    What is frustrating is the job description fitted perfectly to my experience but the interview questions didn't coincide with the job that was being offered. They also say at the beginning they want to help get the best out of you but when they are asking questions that involve deadlines and looking at difficult information when they know your job experience doesn't involve any of that its pretty difficult to sound good.

Interview Questions

• When have you looked at difficult information and had to make a decision?   4 Answers

Administrative Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Department for Work And Pensions.

Interview

Relaxed interview although structured around competencies. The two panelists were friendly and encouraging. They took turns questioning me on four competencies and gently prompted for more info where needed.
    I scored 5,5,6,5. It was not as intimidating as I expected.
    You are perfectly entitled to take some written prompts of your own, so that you don't freeze up.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.