EF English First Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

EF English First Interview Questions

Interviews at EF English First

2.4

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tarrytown, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at EF English First (Tarrytown, NY (US)) in May 2008.

Interview

Interview was just one phone interview. It took 5 weeks for them to call back with an offer. I had almost given up on hearing from them. Very little thoroughness, they had never met me in person or asked for transcripts or a drug test at all when I arrived to work for the summer.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation when you wore many hats at a job and had to juggle tasks?   1 Answer
    • If a student who you knew was quarantined for illness walked into the cafeteria and you saw him, what would you do? (Apparently happened at the school previously)   1 Answer

Negotiation

I negotiated to live on the campus and get a stipend. I was told that I would be a "combined intern" since I lived on campus, working 40 hours per week but some days doing nights and some doing normal 9-5. When I got there they changed it so that I was working 40+hours during the day each week, then ALL WEEKEND on 24/hr RA duty once per month. They eventually added nights to all of that as well, asking me to devote 2 evenings per week in addition to the weekends and normal day-job hours. I negotiated $100 more per month and one hour extra off per day, but that's all. I was supposed to be "half" an RA and "half" an office worker. I ended up working MORE than the normal RAs and just as much as the office workers, and while RAs got their room and board for "free" on top of a $200/month stipend, my stipend for RA + Office work was only $700 because room and board was deducted from it. Basically, they will do anything to skimp on employee pay and repair work at their school, even when it makes all their customers angry (some even went back to their home country rather than stay for the summer due to the chaos)

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at EF English First in April 2016.

Interview

I applied online, and I received an invitation for a phone interview within the week. After that was a skype interview, where I had to do a 5-10 minute mock teaching exercise, along with several other interview questions. Overall, not too difficult or stressful.

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at EF English First (Boston, MA (US)) in November 2014.

Interview

Submitted an application for English First, was contacted within a month to set up a skype interview.
    Had to prepare how I would teach a lesson and my background in teaching.
    Signed onto Skype for the interview.
    Was asked several questions about me personally
    How I taught in a classroom
    What my system for teaching was, experience, and why I wanted to teach in China.

Interview Questions

• I was given a scenario in a classroom and was asked how I would handle it.
      A student is being loud and disruptive in class, how would you handle the student.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at EF English First (Boston, MA (US)) in January 2019.

Interview

I was contacted the day after applying online, we had a 10 minute chat and the recruiter asked for an interview 2 days later via Zoom (video chat). That seemed like what I read online to expect, but afterward I was emailed links to cities with EF schools, a reminder of our video interview appointment, and a request for an accent neutrality test to record and send after the interview. The test is basically tell so and so to buy these weird items. The day of our interview, the recruiter had technical issues and asked if I was amenable to a phone interview.. She asked where I wanted to live in China, I gave her 4 smaller cities, and then said upfront that she likely couldn't answer questions about the area or specific schools in the cities I was interested in but that someone from China would call for a second interview and I could ask them. She asked typical questions but they were unrelated to teaching, re-asking each in different ways...for about 20 minutes before she clearly wanted to end the interview (she said "if you are selected" about 3 times and "I will review this with our hiring team..."). Perhaps the company has changed how they conduct interviews as mine was not much like others I've read about. My guess is I should have went along with the one city she was pushing me to choose because the interviewer did not seem to want to hire me early on, and I was sent a rejection the following day.

Interview Questions

• Tell about a time you did not get along with a coworker.   Answer Question
    • Tell how you handle when a corporation underwent major upheaval and how you worked through the changes.   Answer Question
    • How do you handle stress?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Interview

This was a very thorough interview conducted by one of their recruiters. I was asked relevant questions regarding teaching English to Chinese speakers and given a very detailed overview of the positions available. The recruiter also answered all of my questions about working for English First. The interview was a positive experience overall.

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at EF English First (Chicago, IL (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

You apply on their website and after a couple weeks they email you for a Skype Interview. You pick out a date when one of their recruiters could do it face to face.

Interview Questions

• A bunch of rapid fire questions that you can only say one or two word answers to, i.e. when you think of China you think,,,?   2 Answers

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at EF English First in May 2013.

Interview

I was interviewed over Skype. The recruiter was very professional and friendly, and the questions asked were in line with the teacher training I had just received on my CELTA course. They gave me a sample grammar point to be taught, and allowed me some time to think over how I would present it to the students, and then I shared my ideas with her during the interview. She was very clear about what the salary, benefits and vacation would be.

Interview Questions

• Though it wasn't difficult, having to teach a grammar point on the spot was unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It wasn't negotiable - salary, times, benefits were already in writing for all the new teachers.

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at EF English First.

Interview

Recruitment was horrible, job expectations were not fully explained (ie: working hours, vacation, etc.)
    Visa process was worrisome, as I went through 5 different recruiters, and each one was ineffective at communicating with me.
    Overall, job was easy to get because they don't have high expectations (all you need is a Bachelor's from a 4 year university).

Interview Questions

• Had to make and present a 3 minute lesson plan on the spot. However, it wasn't very difficult.   Answer Question

Foreign English Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at EF English First (Los Angeles, CA (US)) in August 2015.

Interview

I submitted an online application and as a result, I was granted a Skype interview with an EF recruiter. Part of that interview process involves answering a series of questions based on a couple of scenarios involving adult learners and children that EF sends ahead of time. At the end of the interview I was offered a position in Beijing. This company follows to the letter, the strict procedures Beijing authorities have established for the hiring of Westerners. In other words, there are many, many documents and a couple of medical exams as part of the hiring process. No legal troubles either.

Interview Questions

• Why do I want to teach overseas given my somewhat advanced age.   Answer Question

International Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in China, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at EF English First (China, TX (US)) in January 2013.

Interview

why you want to be teacher?

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.