Expedia Group Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Expedia Group Product Manager Interview Questions

Updated 18 Jul 2018

22 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Expedia Group (Bellevue, WA (US)).

Interview

30 minutes with recruiter, then 30 minutes with hiring manager, then 30 minutes with director. If you pass these, you get to interview in the company headquarters. When you’re invited to their offices you’re been interviewed by six different people. From the recruiters to the team everyone was very nice and professional. They weren’t trying to stress you out but to really get to know you & how your experience can work with the job specific requirements. Described the culture as “laid back” and agile oriented. The whole process was very quick, and they let you know very quickly if you move on to the next stage.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Expedia Group

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Expedia Group (Seattle, WA (US)) in June 2015.

Interview

Expedia seems to have a lot of Product Manager openings. I applied for four different Product Manager positions over two months. During that time-frame, I was contacted by four different recruiters for screenings. None of them seemed to have access to the information from my previous screenings. I had to repeat everything over each time with each recruiter and fill out their questionnaires, although the open positions were almost identical in description. Each recruiter screening led to more phone conversations with the respective hiring managers. One hiring manager was almost hostile, saying he could easily find a better fit from someone far away and move the person to Seattle. The other hiring managers questions heavily and almost exclusively focused on how to improve Expedia's websites and any new ideas. A person who worked there told me that's how they search for new ideas. I seemed to be talking to someone from Expedia every other day. None of all that talk let to anything substantial.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in that opening?   Answer Question
    • How would you improve the website (car rental, hotels, etc.)? Be specific.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Expedia Group (Bellevue, WA (US)).

Interview

The interview process was the around 4 hours, which is pretty standard for this type of position. They asked thoughtful and poignant questions, but didn't put too much pressure on me. You can tell that they really look at the inner quality of the person rather than finding out if they've done a specific thing in a specific way. They look for a quality mindset and person that can grow and help build the company.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever used data to make a product decision.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Expedia Group (Bellevue, WA (US)) in February 2012.

Interview

phone screen; interview with direct manager then one team member on the first round. Second round: 1-hour interviews with one Sales Director, one Technology Director, one future colleague, one Product Sr Manager.

Interview Questions

• Build a business plan on the spot   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Expedia Group.

Interview

Got an email from HR almost a month after applying. On responding, HR emailed for first round set next day.
    Round 1 - Interviewer asked questions about background; and experience in Product Roadmaps.
    HR emailed within an hour asking if available for second round (I was impressed with the turn around time here!)
    Round 2 - It was a bridge call and unfortunately I dialed-in late. Hiring manager asked about Product Roadmaps.
    After a week, I emailed HR asking if there is any interview feedback, since I had not heard back (and assumed was rejected). To my surprise, HR informed that Hiring manager wanted third telephonic round.
    I agreed and it was set for 2 weeks later.
    On the previous day of interview, the HR called saying there has been confusion, and it was an in-person round. I agreed reluctantly, as I did not want to push this process further, myself.
    Round 3 - I went in and was greeted by the initial interviewer I spoke to.
    A set of slides were put on on display with around 30 questions; and I was asked to answer them. Most questions were irrelevant which the interviewer agreed as well.
    Interviewer revealed that the questions were compiled by the hiring manager.
    Next, I was given a six-pager case study on screen for 6 different products; and asked to come up with a Product roadmap, prioritize and present as a PPT in 15 minutes!
    I was shocked and clarified that I would not be able to come up with any valuable outcome in 15 mins.
    Response: "We were supposed to mail this case out to you prior to interview so that you could come prepared with the analysis, but we missed out. Unfortunately, I still need to run through this piece to complete the interview"
    I knew it was a failed chance. I still tried and gave a rough PR layout, and what the deciding factors would be for prioritizing, with some heavy assumptions.
    Never heard back from HR on checking for feedback.

Interview Questions

• Experience in creating Product Roadmaps (asked repeatedly)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Expedia Group (Bellevue, WA (US)) in February 2016.

Interview

Initial phone screen with recruiter, then director, then in person loop with several Sr. managers and 1 peer interview. Interviews were onsite and with folks in other locations. Environment was very relaxed and interviewers were able to put me at ease and focused on situational interviews questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA (US)

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Expedia Group (Bellevue, WA (US)) in December 2009.

Interview

Had a brief phone screening with the HR recruiter. I was later called for a 1:1 interview with a member of the hiring team. The interviewer did not seem to be prepared, she just let me do most of the talking and only asked questions based on what I was saying, mostly clarification questions. The conversation took almost 45 minutes. No real feedback was received, only that they decided to go with an internal candidate. Not sure what the reall reason was, this seems like a standard response when they're not interested.

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Expedia Group.

Interview

Phone interview was about 30 minutes long. Talked about resume and why the switch from Dev to Product Manager.

Interview Questions

• The Manager wanted to know why the switch from Developer to Product Management. Did not see the transition from the past experience and wanted more data.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in University Park, MD (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Expedia Group (University Park, MD (US)) in January 2013.

Interview

Interview Questions

• Ask about "if you know the user average stay on a page for 5-6 second" what additional data you would need to justify the "5-6 second " is good or bad?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Expedia Group (Bellevue, WA (US)) in February 2013.

Interview

The hiring process is like anywhere else.
    You initially talk to the recruiter, who will ask you very broad set of questions like "Why Expedia?" or "Tell me about your background". You will also get a little bit of an insight on the job itself.
    My second interview was with a director of the department, who the position wold answer to. The manager sounded very strict and in a way, unpleasant to speak with. The manager wanted to know my experience with Agile/Scrum, which I had little of, so the manager asked me to do homework before asking me to come in for an internal interview process.
    Questions were related to Expedia's website, like "What would you change on a specific portion of the website?", "Write user stories for the proposed changes.", and "Given a team developing a front end of the application, and a team developing a back end application, tell me how you would create a roadmap for the project, and develop a schedule." - Pretty basic stuff for the PM work that would be relevant.
    After I turned the homework in, I was asked to come in for a day of interviews. The internal process was with 5 people, some interviews being in an hour range, and a few in half hour range.
    Pre Interview. Meet with the recruiter and she takes you to your interview room. Not really an interview.
    Interview 1.Meet with the Sr.PM and have a lunch interview. Great insight on what the team is developing and questions like, "How would you as a PM track what your a client selected in their itinerary?"
    Interview 2. Another interview with Sr.PM. More of questions about the internal structure of the team and what everyone does. A few questions mainly about my past work. Know your resume' well.
    Interview 3. Sr. Developer came in, which surprised me, since I'm not technical in development. He looked very tired and not very avid about the interview process. He explained that there will be no code questions, but wanted to find out if I could, as a PM, explain things to him from a technical perspective. I was a bit too high-level for him. Questions asked were like "Explain web services to me?", and "How does a web request works?". When it was my turn to ask questions, he was picking his nose, rubbing his face and barely sitting on the chair, with his eyes barely open, which was unprofessional.
    Interview 4. Meet with peer PM. The guy was very active, involved and friendly. Really wanted to know about my past, and told me about his line of work, which was very interesting. Asked me questions like "How would you keep your developers active and engaged?", and questions about my past experience. I finished this interview feeling great and energized.
    Interview 5. Meet with your future manager. This was the same manager that gave me homework. The manager was somewhat arrogant and not overly friendly. This might be expected from someone,who you might answer to in the future. Asked me quickly about how my day has gone so far, and quickly dove into questions not related to PM work, but mainly about the back end of the Expedia website, which I knew pretty much nothing about. Questions like "Explain how an object is passed to the results page and what is included". Asked to clarify, which only frustrated the manager. My answers from the beginning seemed to not be good enough for the manager, and after the discussions on the answer, which the manager felt like having to chew out for me, I felt like I did not successfully go through that portion.
    I made sure to say in my closing statement that it is more important for me to know they pick the right candidate, and if it is not me, I understand. I do not think the manager liked this one bit.
    Overall, great day full of great people. Wish I was more prepared for the wrath of the manager.

Interview Questions

• Explain how an object is passed to the results page and what is included   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.