Facebook Data Engineering Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Facebook Data Engineering Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Facebook

2.3

Data Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA (US)) in February 2018.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter on LinkedIn. Technical phone screen followed by an on-site. On-site had 5 rounds of 45 minutes. One technical round and others were behavioral / product /system design. The interview was along the same line as others have posted here. The phone screen was with coderpad.io, writing SQLs, Data Modeling and Programming.

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (London, England) in July 2018.

Interview

I initially got approached for a Data Science Manager position by facebook recruiter. I work in machine learning and software engineering. Due to the engineering background they thought i would be a good fit for data engineering. I decline but the recruiter ( misinformed or in a typical sales fashion ) said its heavily AI based. So i decided to have an initial screen with the hiring manager in the USA over videoconference. The guys was really nice, humble and overall gave me a great impression. We agreed that i'm more into machine learning and software engineering than Data engineering. The guy really impressed in his questioning and trying to get the best info out of someone. He was looking for talent rather than faults. I then had an unofficial chat with an old colleague , who now work as a data science manager at facebook, of mine which spoke highly of facebook and working there. The recruiter also kept on pitching to me how i would be able to move onto more software engineering and machine learning roles. With all this information, and the given the manager was seemed such a great guy, i thought i would progress it. Managers do make careers and he was the main reason i progressed.

Second interview with a Data engineering manager in London over video conference. He didn't want to video conference as he said he would be just taking notes. It seemed very mechanical. The interview was a bit mechanical rather than a fluent conversation. The question asked were over leadership , technical and Sql. The Technical questions weren't hard but i did have a brain fail in one. My fault i should have prepped, rather than turning up for a technical interview without prep. But i did get all the coding exercises right just that in one of them he had to prompt me to come up with a simpler solution. The recruiter had told me that the technical interview was going to be 15 mins and the leadership would be 45 mins.

Long story short, I was told that i didn't make their leadership test. I feel the same as the review left by someone on "23 Mar 2018" . My hunch is that this particular interviewer wants to hear particular answers to general questions on leadership.

When i ask him what his progression looks like, he gave an answer which started by " I really believe facebook is changing the world". This gives insight that he wants to hear particular answers rather than approaching it that there might be many right answers.
    Having said this i wouldn't change what and how i answered stuff. It good not go to place where you might not fit especially when you career is going into a different direction.

Interview Questions

• What do you enjoy about your role?   Answer Question
    • What (soft skills ) did it take for you to get to where you are?   1 Answer
    • What do you think it takes to build a great Date Engineering team / Platform   1 Answer
    • What's the most difficult thing you've had to do? ( I think he wanted to hear something technical)   Answer Question
    • Write a python program to remove duplicates , keep the first occurrance   2 Answers
    • write a python program to count words?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (London, England) in March 2018.

Interview

Recruiter from Facebook messaged me on Linkedin and did a short phone call with me about the position. He was asking for my experience, why facebook and salary expectations.
    After then, an interview with engineering manager was scheduled for 1 hour phone call to test me about managerial skills, python, data modelling and SQL.

The interview was very superficial: the management skills questions just focused on how I dealt with problems in my team, how can I assure excellence and very very general questions. I wasn't asked about my real experience, success stories, failures and problems I faced with. After 15 minutes we moved to SQL, python and data modelling. I answered on them perfectly without mistakes.

After 2-3 days I got a call that they don't want to proceed with the process as they want other experience for this manager role. I'm a bit confused because they almost didn't ask anything about my experience...

Interview Questions

• SQL: subqueries, use with distinct and group by. Medium level questions.
      python: find substring, find frequency of words
      Data modelling: how would you model Linkedin? what would be the tables and connections between them.   Answer Question
Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.