Cover image for Meta

Engaged Employer

Add an Interview

Meta Engineering Manager Interview Questions

Updated 30 Oct 2023

To filter interviews, or .
Found 64 of over 11.3K interviews

3.2
HardAverageEasy

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zürich

Application

Interview

Six interviews, including behavioral, programming, and in-domain system design. The recruiter explained the process in advance all the process, adapted to my availability, knew in advance what each interview was about, had a lot of transparency, and had the ability to ask questions to everybody. In general a very good experience, I am happy I interviewed with them and learned a lot.

Interview Questions
  • Describe a project you have worked on
    Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Meta (New York, NY) in Jun 2019

Interview

For line level managers, there are the following interviews: 1 coding (evaluated as sr eng), 2 system design (evaluated as sr eng, may be more front-end or quant-focused depending on background), 1 general behavioral, 1 people management, and 1 execution management. Each is 45 minutes, with ~5mins preserved for your questions. Each interview has a number of signal areas they're looking to evaluate, and a hire decision is not based on a score. Each interviewer will try to be objective and check for specific skillsets for the role. At the end, all interviewers see all notes and vote on a decision (hire, no hire, or needs more signal). The result goes to a senior hiring committee, and may include hiring manager champions to vouch for a candidate. Example questions are provided in advance, and are very reflective of actual interview questions.

Interview Questions
  • Behavioral questions might include: Give an example of helping someone overcome a performance issue. Describe a project you were responsible for / lead. How did the project relate to business goals? How did you plan the roadmap? How did you respond when the schedule slipped? What was the team you were most proud of? Why? What are your responsibilities as a people manager?
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Relevant posts in this industry

2.9M

Tech

Bowl for Tech industry professionals.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zürich

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Meta (Zürich) in May 2022

Interview

Very well structured interview process with 2 preparatory calls and 5 interview. I received 2 leadership interviews on leadership style, stakeholder management, conflict resolution and team management. Then 3 technical interviews on topics ranging from architecture design to machine learning and coding and data structures. The technical interviews do go into technical questions. All interviewers were well prepared and our interaction has been collaborative and polite at all times. The only negative note is that I had troubles understanding 2 of the 5 interviewers. All interviews have been conducted in English.

Interview Questions
  • - how do create alignment between talented individuals that also happen to be strongly opinionated? - design the architecture of the MVP for a restaurant recommendation service.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tel Aviv-Yafo

Application

I interviewed at Meta (Tel Aviv-Yafo)

Interview

2 Interviews related to management. Then 2 technical interviews, code and system design Then HR. Technical includes question about db's, code question you need to code in front of the interviewer and explain your thought process. System design you need to ask and clarify require ments and then design a system they give you

Interview Questions
  • Describe the bottleneck of the system (system design I showed) Describe challenging moment you had with an employee. An employee you had to fire, how was it done. Describe something you have achieved and how you have done it. Describe e a situation in which you and a coluege disagreed and how you managed it.

Meta

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Meta in Mar 2022

Interview

Had a great start with the recruiter. Got given good material that I could use to prepare for the interview. I then had an interview with another engineering manager. I thought it went very well. Engineering manager directed me to another recruiter because they thought I would succeed better in a program manager role. The second recruiter said I needed experience as a developer to be program manager. It was very strange overall. I don't think they were able to assess me very well in the end.

Interview Questions
  • Describe a technical solution to an engineering problem with diagrams.

Meta

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Meta

Interview

I was interviewed for Enterprise Engineering Manager. The interview went decent and I was not expecting an offer but HR ghosted. Absolute silence. Pathetic to say the least from one of the top companies.

Interview Questions
  • Questions were behavioural to share the experiences that I have been part of specific scenarios. The technical side is to design an Uber like app.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week. I interviewed at Meta (Toronto, ON)

Interview

Recruiter reached out. Handed me over to local Toronto recruiter. Interview process seems a bit rushed as I had declared I’m in process of accepting an offer. First interview - a fellow peer (non local) a US meta mate came to interview. This is where it went down the drain FAST. Let me give u the list- 1) late for interview without apologizing by 5 mins. Take ur time ur highness as Canadians are nice. 2) as first impressions are bad - didn’t bother to read the resume and ask standard Meta questions. While giving context about my fellow Canadian non global companies - the brain fuse was flickering as they kept interrupting. Not a good sign 3) I decided to ask how long in the role / how long u hv been a manager. That usually answers me when I’m on the other side. The interviewer was rushed. Let’s just say fast promotions are not always a good thing when u can’t handle the pressure OR ulti manager wanted a growth and wanted you to backfill so that they can go higher up (this doesn’t mean u r qualified ) . I did let recruiter know of my feedback but I could see it didn’t feel right to them( how’s that possible we are Meta ). How can you say one of us is a bad Apple? So here is my outcome - Will I apply again ? No Will I want to be part of Meta ? No - they r plenty to go around and it’s not the only social media company. What happened to me ? I started my new role in a company which is global and also Canadian and im doing fine. I guess they r looking for the mold which is highly available in USA and not in Canada. (Pay up buddy )

Interview Questions
  • Typical Meta questions template. They didn’t go far from template. They did go far in bad behaviour which isn’t a good sign by employed folks.

Meta

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Meta in Sept 2021

Interview

Cold and disconnected interviewers. Several of them were actively yawning during the interview process unlike anything I’ve experienced anywhere else. It was clear they were mostly looking for specific answers and were disinterested in hearing anything else.

Interview Questions
  • What attributes do you look for in senior engineer candidates?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tel Aviv-Yafo

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Meta (Tel Aviv-Yafo) in Sept 2022

Interview

Just in the beginning of the process. Had a call with HR rep explaining to me about the company structure in the Tel Aviv branch and what options for roles there are. Very nice and informative also explained about the interview process and gave a lot of tips and help towards whats coming next

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Meta

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Meta

Interview

I spoke with a recruiter who had reached out to me via email. We had a positive chat on the phone and decided to move forward with the initial interview that would be with another Engineering Manager. When I got on the call, which was remote via zoom style app, we had about a 30min conversation where I spoke about my experience and what I bring to the table. My resume is packed with experience where I have shown success in building/managing productive teams. I then got a standard rejection letter which spoke very highly of how I handled myself in the interview as well as my experience but at this time, they were not interested... basically, check back in a few months.

Interview Questions
  • How do you measure the success of an engineering team you are managing?
1 person found this interview helpful

Meta logo

Popular Conversations

Interview Tips

KPMG

Booz Allen Hamilton Recently applied and I've been referred for an interview! Any tips on interviewing with Booz Allen? And if I am being asked to complete clearance and background upfront, is this a good indicator for being hired?

0 Comments

Account Executive

Invest $150 and get $5,500 in just 2 hours with my fast and reliable platform now (it's 100% legit and trusted) DM ME NOW FOR MORE INFORMATION WITH THE DETAILS BELOW TO GET STARTED TEXT NO:+1(510)344-6407 Whatsapp: +1 (510) 344-6407

0 Comments

Alex L.

Applied for a job a few weeks back, got a call from HR yesterday morning about an interview next week. She mentioned she'd shoot me an email with all the interview details, but so far, my inbox is empty. Assuming I'll hear from her early next week, is it normal for them to expect me to show up for an in-person interview on short notice, like couple days?

2 Comments

Meta Careers

Cover image for Meta

Build for the future with Meta. Meta is building for the future by developing innovative ways to build community and bring people closer...More

• What We Build
  • Our Actions
  • Our Community

Meta Photos

+ Add Photo
Meta photo of: VR at Facebook
Meta photo of: Facebookers in Austin get into formation upon learning that we're #1 in tech on the Glassdoor best places to work list!
Meta photo of: Facebookers at our Menlo Park HQ celebrate being #1 in tech on the Glassdoor best places to work list!
Meta photo of: Facebookers in New York jump for joy upon hearing that we're #1 in tech on the Glassdoor best places to work list!

Meta Job Seekers Also Viewed