Facebook Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Interviews at Facebook

6,106 Interview Reviews

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

phone interview starting with introducing yourself followed by two code questions.
    The first coding question is very standard coding question and the second one is
    a little more related to facebook's certain functionality

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY (US)) in March 2020.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me over email and set up a phone interview for the following week for a 15-minute call. I guess next round would have been with a hiring manager

Interview Questions

• PLEASE DON'T TAKE THE PHONE SCREENING LIGHTLY! I did and got rejected. I was expecting SQL questions and in general talk about my resume but she asked me a question on product sense and I was completely unprepared for it. Creation of Facebook user groups has gone down by 20%, what will you do? sounds simple but I messed it up so badly. I was just blabbering anything in an unstructured way, I sounded so stupid and not even fit for a small company forget Facebook. The recruiter was nice and she did not say anything but I were to hear my own answer, I would reject myself on spot. I regret it so much wish I could have prepared for it. I hope someone sees this and it helps them.

The SQL questions were easy and I did answer them correctly- what kind of joins to get only common rows, what the natural sorting order etc.   5 Answers

Data Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Telephonic Interview: 30 mins SQL and 30 mins coding.
    Expectation: 4/5 in SQL should be correct and 3/5 in coding should be correct.

Most of the folks have already explained this process in detail so will jump on the interview questions.

Interview Questions

• want you to write me a simple spell checking engine.

The query language is a very simple regular expression-like language, with one special character: . (the dot character), which means EXACTLY ONE character (it can be any character). So, for example, 'c.t' would match 'cat' as the dot matches any character. There may be any number of dot characters in the query (or none).

Your spell checker will have to be optimized for speed, so you will have to write it in the required way. There would be a one-time setUp() function that does any pre-processing you require, and then there will be an isMatch() function that should run as fast as possible, utilizing that pre-processing.

There are some examples below, feel free to ask for clarification.

Word List:

[cat, bat, rat, drat, dart, drab]

Queries:

..... -> false
      h.t -> false
      c. -> false

// write a function
      // Struct setup(List<String> list_of_words)
      // Do whatever processing you want here
      // with reasonable efficiency.
      // Return whatever data structures you want.
      // This function will only run once

// write a function
      // bool isMatch(Struct struct, String query)
      // Returns whether the query is a match in the
      // dictionary (True/False)
      // Should be optimized for speed   4 Answers
    • Given an array of integers, we would like to determine whether the array is monotonic (non-decreasing/non-increasing) or not.
      Examples:
      // 1 4 6 3
      // false

//1 1 1 1 1 1
      // true   8 Answers
    • Calculate the average word length.
      For the given set of words return the average word length.   3 Answers
      | area_sqft | int | | gender | varchar |
      +-------------------+---------+ | date_account_opened | date |
                                            +---------------------+---------+

Question 1:
      What brands have an average price above $3 and contain at least 2 different products?

Question 2:
        To improve sales, the marketing department runs various types of promotions.
        The marketing manager would like to analyze the effectiveness of these promotion campaigns.
        In particular, what percent of our sales transactions had a valid promotion applied?

Question 3:
        We want to run a new promotion for our most successful category of products
        (we call these categories “product classes”).
        Can you find out what are the top 3 selling product classes by total sales?

Question 4:
          We are considering running a promo across brands. We want to target
          customers who have bought products from two specific brands.
          Can you find out which customers have bought products from both the
          “Fort West" and the "Golden" brands?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA (US)) in May 2020.

Interview

COVID-19 Interview Experience:

Since I had a great resume (ex-Lyft, ex-Airbnb, ex-Segment), the recruiter scheduled a virtual onsite by skipping the technical phone interviews. I asked the recruiter to give me 4 weeks before the interview so that I could prepare for it. Here's what I did:

Coding: I solved ALL the medium problems on Cracking the Coding Interview book. I also solved 20 Medium and 5 Hard questions on Leetcode. Also booked 2 chesky.ai interviews a week before the interview.

System Design: Didn't really prepare much since I have a ton of experience as a senior engineer.

The interview lasted for about 5-6 hours. It was surprisingly not too overwhelming. I definitely prefer this style over onsite interviews tbh. The only downside was the system design portion. I had a whiteboard facing the camera so the positioning was rather odd.

For folks that are interviewing virtually (I guess everyone right now?), GET A WHITEBOARD and face it in front of the camera. Trust me. You'll appreciate this advice :)

Interview Questions

• Design "stories" (like Instagram and Whatsapp). Stories disappear after friends view them, and are only available for 24 hours after publishing.   4 Answers
    • LRU Cache   5 Answers
    • Clone Graph   1 Answer
    • K closest points to origin   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

FB's product manager interview is really a hit or miss process. They basically ask you to go through multiple rounds of leadership, product sense, and analytics-based interviews, which seems fair, but the reality is that if you screw up on one small area, you get disqualified. So overall the process optimizes for people who thinks fast on their feet over the substance of the answer. While I don't disagree with the fact that there are a lot of good PMs who are like that, there are also a second breed of PMs who are more analytical and can offer much better solutions (especially product sense) if they are given the chance to research and analyze the problem. Asking me how to measure whether to autoplay videos and expect me to get ALL the metrics is not an accurate measure of my execution or analytic aptitude.
     Beyond the basic metrics, there are a lot of intuition, strategy, and peeling the onions that need to happen.

Interview Questions

• How should you decide whether to autoplay videos on the newsfeed? What success metrics?   7 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Easily one of the worst experiences I've had so far. I has scheduled a time with the recruiter for a pre-screen call and had to re-schedule because she forgot. There was no apology, no excuse, just a plain "let's reschedule" email. Following the call, she told me I would be a really great fit for some of the junior level positions and that she would definitely email me about it. But after following up with her thrice and receiving absolutely no response, I had to take a step back. It makes no sense if a big company such as yourself hires recruiters who don't have the basic courtesy to say "no" directly or respect the candidate's time.

Data Scientist, Product Analytics Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

The interviewer was very nice, and the questions are very standard Facebook questions. Anyone with a business analyst background should answer with no problem. The bummer is that the recruiter called me 3 hours before my onsite saying that my interview was cancelled because they have reached a global headcount.

Interview Questions

• Understand the launch of a product in the new market, the metrics you should use to analyze, potential customers, value propositions, and the pros and cons of launching.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

4 rounds of interviews. 1 online quiz, 2 coding challenges and 1 on site. The coding challenges were using a shared screen. On site was with 4 different engineers. 3 of them were technical, one of them was behavioral

Interview Questions

• Typical algorithm questions   1 Answer

Research Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

Am a top-tier player in the business and got pinged by a recruiter for a position that was a little junior, but appeared to potentially pay better than what I was making when stock was included.

Was a little worried because I'd been ghosted by Facebook recruiters during discussions in the past, but this one was very good.

Went through a screening interview with hiring manager and had a good conversation; after a couple of video interviews with remote employees

I got a sheepish call back from the recruiter claiming I don't have cross-functional experience (which even a cursory look at my resume shows is a rather silly thing to say). One literally could not do the things I've done without extensive cross-functional work styles, and a former colleague laughed out loud when I told him of this statement.

They "assessed" this alleged shortcoming in 2 interviews of 30 minutes in duration on a video call, the second of which was more like 25 mins because the interviewer was late.

Historically, I've assessed candidates' capabilities in interviews with peers and references, especially before making a sweeping statement as they did, but this wasn't done. Weird.

Overall a bit of a waste of time, but given the recent negative publicity about the brand and its support for questionable advertising, I suspect I dodged a bullet.

Sent LinkedIn invitations to the people who interviewed me after receiving a rejection and none accepted; kinda weird. Reinforced my perception of bullet-dodging; I usually accept invitations from individuals I've interviewed in my role, even if they're rejected.

Interview Questions

• How do you build and manage teams?   1 Answer
    • How do you work across different functions and disciplines?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Very technical interview. Completed a data analysis and then was invited to in person interview. Interviewers were friendly and asked about past experiences. Interviewed with multiple people on the team. Recruiter was very responsive. Last round was a 1 on 1 interview with director.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you analyze a large amount of data   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.