Facebook Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 17 Dec 2017
3,606 Interview Reviews

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

phone interview starting with introducing yourself followed by two code questions.
    The first coding question is very standard coding question and the second one is
    a little more related to facebook's certain functionality

Data Scientist Interview

Interview

One HR interview, one takehome data challenge, one shared screen with SQL and one onsite with several 1:1 interviews. They check your coding skills and product sense via the takehome, your sql skills via the shared screen interview and machine learning theory as well as product sense during the onsite.
    They let you choose the language for the takehome and onsite there is no coding on the board. So you just need to know one language (whichever you want, although I think they prefer R or Python) + SQL. No C++/Java/etc stuff and no CS algo questions.

Interview Questions

• Data challenge was very similar to the ads analysis challenge on the book the collection of data science takehome challenge, so that was easy (if you have done your homework).

SQL was: you have a table where you have date, user_id, song_id and count. It shows at the end of each day how many times in her history a user has listened to a given song. So count is cumulative sum.
      You have to update this on a daily basis based on a second table that records in real time when a user listens to a given song. Basically, at the end of each day, you go to this second table and pull a count of each user/song combination and then add this count to the first table that has the lifetime count.
      If it is the first time a user has listened to a given song, you won't have this pair in the lifetime table, so you have to create the pair there and then add the count of the last day.

Onsite: lots of ads related and machine learning questions. How to build an ad model, how to test it, describe a model. I didn't do well in some of these.   21 Answers

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA (US)) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online in late December and then spoke to a recruiter for about 15 minutes in early January. I was scheduled for an in-person interview in mid January where I interviewed with one data scientist in a 1:1 interview for an hour for the first round. Another recruiter then called me for a 30 minute prep for the 2nd round. The final, 2nd round interview was about 5 weeks later in late February, with 6 data scientists over 4 hours in the afternoon. I got an offer but it was for a lot less than I was expecting, and we couldn't bridge the gap enough for it to be worth it.

Everyone seemed relatively nice, although I could tell that a lot of the questions are really designed to trip you up, like they want you to miss some detail or edge case. My advice would be to pay attention to every little bit of minutiae regarding the question, make sure you're staying on task, write on the whiteboard, and explain your thoughts. Industry word is that data science at Facebook is not what it once was and is more of a product data analyst role now, so make sure you're really into Facebook products because that's what you'll be analyzing.

Also, I didn't get a single question about dice, cards, or any other brain teaser type questions. All these mentions of NDAs are missing the point of Glassdoor, people can be a little more verbose than "various questions". You can't trademark an interview question or claim it's a trade secret.

Interview Questions

• How would you measure the health of Mentions, Facebook's app for celebrities? How can FB determine if it's worth it to keep using it?

If a celebrity starts to use Mentions and begins interacting with their fans more, what part of the increase can be attributed to a celebrity using Mentions, and what part is just a celebrity wanting to get more involved in fan engagement?   6 Answers
    • There is a table that tracks every time a user turns a feature on or off, with columns user_id, action ("on" or "off), date, and time.

How many users turned the feature on today?
      How many users have ever turned the feature on?
      In a table that tracks the status of every user every day, how would you add today's data to it?   9 Answers
    • If 70% of Facebook users on iOS use Instagram, but only 35% of Facebook users on Android use Instagram, how would you investigate the discrepancy?   5 Answers
    • How do you measure newsfeed health?   3 Answers
    • If a PM says that they want to double the number of ads in Newsfeed, how would you figure out if this is a good idea or not?   3 Answers
    • We have two options for serving ads within Newsfeed:
      1 - out of every 25 stories, one will be an ad
      2 - every story has a 4% chance of being an ad

For each option, what is the expected number of ads shown in 100 news stories?
      If we go with option 2, what is the chance a user will be shown only a single ad in 100 stories? What about no ads at all?   12 Answers
    • How do you map nicknames (Pete, Andy, Nick, Rob, etc) to real names?   3 Answers
    • Facebook sees that likes are up 10% year over year, why could this be?   5 Answers
    • How many high schools that people have listed on their profiles are real? How do we find out, and deploy at scale, a way of finding invalid schools?   4 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA (US)) in October 2017.

Interview

- recruiter msg linked in
    - "we love profile"
    - me happy, set time to call

-recruiter call
    -talk about background my work
    -recruiter email me
    -"which teams you like "
     -me instagram and more
     -dancing.jpg

-interview day - 45 mins call
    - interview guy call on time
    - "okay lets code"
    - me "Ok"
    -give leetcode easy
    - me happy - code in 10 min
    - iinterview guy "ok good .. is work"
    - interview guy think let me screw candidate
    - give leetcode hard
    - me think - omg u seroius wow
    - me think logic.. think to code.. ok
    - ok code.. think.. code..
    - roadrunner.jpg
    -80% code finish confirm logic work
    - interview guy "ok time up any question"
    - me ask backgroud of guy
    - ok bye thanks goodweeknd etc

- recruiter email - reject

- me wow such broke system or such hire good???

Interview Questions

• solve leetcode easy? solve leetcode hard?   2 Answers

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted for a Product Manager position in either Seattle or Menlo Park by HR. After the phone screen, HR explained I could be hired on for an allocated role or go through the generalist process (where you would get to take a couple weeks after you get hired to learn about Facebook in bootcamp & choose a team). I chose the generalist process, and HR set up 2 45-minute video interviews (product sense & execution). After the video interviews, HR sent me an email to set up a phone call, which she then told me that they would not be moving forward and gave me feedback on what could have been improved.

Video interviews were fun and I enjoyed talking to the interviewers. Next time, would definitely focus on having a process of answering the design question.

Interview Questions

• HR Phone Screen:
      1. Tell me about yourself.
      2. Why Facebook?
      3. What is a project you've worked on recently?
      4. What's your favorite facebook feature?

Product Sense Video Interview
      1. Design a way for people to find apartments.

Product Execution Interview:
      2. How do you deal with trade-offs between opposing metrics, such as higher AoV but lower conversion rate?
      3. For Facebook Groups, how would you increase usage?
      4. For Facebook Marketplace, how would you go about setting the price of the products? What tradeoffs would you make in the options you described in terms of metrics?   1 Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Process is not bad if they were to follow what they tell you the process is.. Phone interview then interview with Admin team then onsite you are given specific dates of when these occur but my experience was they dont mean anything.. You send follow up emails and never hear back from recruiters guess because they are FB and think everyone wants to work there they dont need to have respect for potential employees or their time.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Applied for Data Engineer, Analytics (University Grad) position via recruiter. I initially appeared for an internship interview last summer and didn't make it but my recruiter forwarded my resume to colleagues and they had a position matching my profile so got contacted by another recruiter.

Similar to what others have mentioned on Glassdoor:
    1) HR Screen: A set of questions where you can answer in one word or true or false to check your basic knowledge in Programming and Databases.
    Ex. When a program calls itself what is it called? What do you call a loop which never ends? etc.

2) Phone Interview: 45 minutes, involves 5 SQL and 5 Python question, was able to complete all 10 questions within ~35 minutes.
    Interviewer was really interested in knowing my thought process and helped me on one or two problems where I got stuck. Got invitation for Onsite immediately within ~1-2 hours of Phone Interview. Questions similar to what others have posted on Glassdoor.
    Python: Recursion, While Loop, Dictionaries, Lists etc.
    SQL: Group By, Subqueries, Joins etc.

3) Onsite Interview:
    I was invited to Menlo Park office for three full stack interviews (1 hour each) and one lunch interview (1 hour). Questions involved coming up with right metrics to solve the given problem, SQL Modeling, ETL Process Design, writing algorithms/programs in language of your choice etc. Lunch interview was pretty casual, questions like Why Facebook?, Best day at work etc. I was able to provide solutions to all the given problems and at the end interviewers gave a chance to ask questions. Also I did get stuck few times and interviewers gave tips to help me come out of the problem. It is really important to explain them clearly what your thought process is, they are really into up to what scale you can think and how will you solve problem which are big in nature. Questions in onsite interview do represent the type of problems you would solve at Facebook. The resources provided by my recruiter for preparation were amazing and did represent the exact nature of problems asked in interview.

Waited to almost three weeks as it was during Thanksgiving Holidays and later got a call from my recruiter that I got an offer for Data Engineer, Analytics role at Menlo Park office.

Resources: To improve my programming skills I did practiced on sites like LeetCode, HackerRank and also InterviewCake.com material helped me practice for interview. Going through various visualization examples etc. would also help. Also went through some of the recent Facebook Quarterly Results to see what metrics really matter to them. Also check out their Engineering Blogs etc. in case if you get time.

Interview Questions

• Python: Count words, Count substring, Separate list of lists, Random number generator.   Answer Question

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Got an interview by emailing a recruiter that came to my school. Interview was relatively straightforward with a question about implementing stacks using linked lists. They took several weeks to get back to me and only did when I reached out.

Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA (US)).

Interview

Ex colleague referred me. Within a week recruiter phone screen was done. After couple of days hiring mgr phone screen was done. 10 days after phone screen in person interview was set. Couple of days before the in person interview there was TPM role overview session with one of the current TPMs in Facebook. The preparation of the candidates for the interview was awesome. They tell you exactly what type of questions to expect and prepare you very well. I was really appreciating their process and very open preparation of the candidates, but then one of the interviewer was glued to his cell phone all through the interview and thats where I realized one person is enough to totally ruin it for the company or for an interviewee. I definitely didn't like the fact that he didn't give me his full attention and not sure what urgency he had to continue to look and read through his emails. Not sure how much he contributed for me not getting my offer.

Interview Questions

• You have to know the design of the platform you worked on.
      Able to explain the tech details in depth on what problems you solved in the project.
      Lot of general TPM questions.
      Situational questions in dealing with teams.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

applied online; waited 2-3 weeks and then got a phone interview and then sent me a coding challlenge which I submitted in 2 days and then waited 2 weeks for a reply;

Interview Questions

• why do you want to work for facebook, explain your prev. experiences ; what would you like to do here ?   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.