Facebook Software Engineering New Grad Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Facebook Software Engineering New Grad Interview Questions

Interviews at Facebook

3.1

Software Engineering New Grad Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA (US)) in November 2016.

Interview

I applies online and got a reference. Soon after received an email to schedule a phone conversation for a technical screen. Did coding on coderpad on a question which was:
Find the minimum distance to a leaf node in a binary tree
Had a short conversation on resume and projects and what Im looking for as well.

Interview Questions

• Find the minimum distance to a leaf node in a binary tree   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA (US)) in November 2016.

Interview

I contacted a recruiter through Linkedin. The recruiter got back to me and gave me the email of the person in charge of interviewing the students of my school. I sent an email to the guy in charge and he got back to me in 15 mins. He let me know that he will be forwarding my resume and I will hear back for an interview. I had a 1 hour phone interview with a software engineer. Unfortunately, I did not go further than this.

Interview Questions

• Given a decimal number, find the number of 1s in its binary representation? Follow up: Can u solve this in O(1) run time and O(1) space.   4 Answers

Software Engineering New Grad Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I was referred by an employee and got the interview. It was a 45 minutes phone interview. The first question is standard and easy. The second question is more related to facebook. The interviewer is kind of helpful, but he seems have sth to do after the interview, so he cut off the line in about 40 minutes.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA (US)) in October 2016.

Interview

The whole process is blazing fast. back to back 3 rounds, no breaks and u r done. For me this was not favorable as I screwed up my first one and the bad state of mind persisted.

Interview Questions

• first round: array based question (never seen before on CTC/leetcode/glassdoor),
      second: getting to know me. Again I had an engineer who works on mobile where as I have 0 experience in that. Could feel a little disconnect as I was very interested and excited about their feed team and ads team.
      Third round: Leetcode question. Medium level. Doable..so went well
      Interview is all about being quick, why facebook, KEEPING CALM.   Answer Question

Software Engineering New Grad Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (San Jose, CA (US)).

Interview

I applied through recruiter, then I got a phone interview. I had two algorithms which were not difficult. Then, I got an onsite interview. I had five interviews, two of them are algorithm problems, one research background (since I am a PhD student), one system design, and one ML design.

Interview Questions

• Typical algorithm problems, string manipulation, system design, ML design   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA (US)) in September 2016.

Interview

Had a phone interview. Was notified a week later and was then flown to the Seattle office for an onsite interview that consisted of 3 interviews. After my interview I had an unofficial lunch interview where I was shown the office and was given a chance to ask any questions I have about the company.

Software Engineering New Grad Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in September 2016.

Interview

Asked an employee to refer me. Later that week contacted by an internal recruiter. Shortly afterward I had a phone screen interview.

After a couple minutes on the interviewer's background and my own, we jumped directly into the coding question using coderpad. Unclear as to how detailed the solution was supposed to be solved, as there wasn't anything testing mechanisms (to my knowledge). Still wrote solidly in python.

Two business days later, told I wasn't advancing in the process.

Software Engineering New Grad Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA (US)) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied with the referral from the internal employee and the recruiter contacted me within 2-3 days. The whole process was very efficient. I did one phone interview with an engineer and finished two coding questions and then received the onsite interview notification the same day. I did the onsite interview one week later in Menlo Park HQ. The interview included two rounds of coding sessions, one round of system design and one round culture-fit chatting with a manager.

Interview Questions

• The interview includes two rounds of coding sessions, one round of system design and one round culture-fit chatting with a manager.   1 Answer

Software Engineering New Grad Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA (US)) in January 2016.

Interview

Questions are all very standard. Coding on white board was challenging, because i'm not good at testing in my mind. They really value concise, correct, and efficient code. All questions were not hard, but interviewers wanted you to have a clear understanding and solution at the very beginning. You need to vocal about your idea and thoughts too.

Interview Questions

• Linked list and string manipulation   2 Answers

Software Engineering New Grad Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Facebook came to my university's career fair and I briefly talked to one of their engineers and gave the recruiter my resume. They emailed me back within 1.5 weeks and invited me to do a 45 minute interview 1 week later on my school's campus. During the 45 minute on-campus interview, the interviewer asked me to briefly introduce myself and summarize a few highlights on my resume. Then he gave me a few simple coding questions to do on the whiteboard. He allowed me to use any language that I wanted to use. Also, the night before the campus interviews, Facebook hosted a reception at a pizza place so that all the interviewees could casually meet our interviewers beforehand. No need to dress up for a Facebook interview--they're very casual. My interview was wearing a t-shit.

Interview Questions

• You have an unsorted array of integers and a function........string getCategory(integer)........which deterministically returns 1 of three possible strings: "low", "medium", or "high", depending on the input integer. You need to output an array with all the "low" numbers at the bottom, all the "medium" numbers in the middle, and all the "high" numbers at the top. This is basically a partial sort. Within each category, the order of the numbers does not matter...For example, you might be give the array [5,7,2,9,1,14,12,10,5,3]. For input integers 1 - 3, getCategory(integer) returns "low", for 4 - 10 it returns "medium," and for 11 - 15 it returns "high". You could output an array (or modify the given array) that looks like this: [3,1,2,5,5,9,7,10,14,12]   2 Answers
    • You have a single branch of a GIT or SVN repository. At some commit number G, the code in the repo worked (G = good commit). At a later commit number B, you noticed that the code was broken (B = bad). The code may have become broken anytime at or before B, but after G. B was just the first time that you noticed the code was broken. Both G and B are positive integers and G < B. You have access to a function.......bool isCommitGood(integer)......... that takes a commit number and tells you whether the code at that commit worked or was broken. Write code to find the most recent working commit (i.e., the number/index of the last good commit before the code became broken).   2 Answers

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.