Fund for the Public Interest Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Fund for the Public Interest Interview Questions

Interviews at Fund for the Public Interest

1.9

Field Canvasser Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fund for the Public Interest (Chapel Hill, NC (US)) in May 2018.

Interview

I was recruited on my college campus where they told me to come to an "informational meeting" later that week. I called to ask if I should have anything prepared and my recruiter said I didn't. However, the informational meeting started as a group info meeting and ended as individual interviews, so be prepared! The interviewer was friendly and the atmosphere was laid back. They asked typical interview questions like why we were interested in the company, etc. At the end of the interview, they asked me about my availability and got me on track for the position.

Canvasser Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Fund for the Public Interest (Washington, DC (US)) in April 2018.

Interview

The interview process isn't really an interview process. They take just about anyone. Once you are done with the "stage one" interview which is in person with one of the directors, your "second interview" is what's called the "observation day", where you are taken out into the field and you have to get at least one contribution. If you manage that, then you begin your training days (at this point you still haven't made staff). There are three training days, and on one of those days you must make $150, not combined to the other days, and THEN you will be considered "staff".

Canvasser Interview

Anonymous Employee in Marlborough, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Fund for the Public Interest (Marlborough, MA (US)) in March 2018.

Interview

Started out in a group information session online and then had one on one interviews. The interview welcomed me to the team without offering me the job first, it was a little uncomfortable because it caught me off guard.

Canvass Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fund for the Public Interest.

Interview

The interviewer I spoke with was candid and transparent regarding the role. Salary/benefits information was clearly laid out. Most of the interview consisted of listening to regurgitated mission statements or job descriptions. Also was asked simple behavioral questions to gauge fit.

Assistant Campaign Director Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Fund for the Public Interest.

Interview

It was pretty standard. I applied online - the form asked some questions like "why do you want to work here" and "what issue are you the most passionate about," as well as asking for a resume and cover letter. I got called for a phone interview, which was a short 30 minutes and on that phone interview was asked to interview again via Skype. Everyone was prompt, attentive, and very friendly. I declined due to the low pay (25K), next to no benefits, and long hours. If you calculate the salary against the amount they expect you to work (55-65 hours per week), you make less than minimum wage, which didn't seem really seem to be "for the public interest" to me. To their credit, the Fund was very open and honest about all of this to me. They didn't hide anything.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for the Fund?   Answer Question
    • What experience do you have recruiting a team and managing a budget?   Answer Question
    • In 30 seconds, explain a possible solution to the issue you feel most passionate about.   Answer Question

Caller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fund for the Public Interest (Sacramento, CA (US)) in November 2017.

Interview

Relatively easy interviews for new hires. This company hires a lot of people, expecting a lot of turnover. Getting in is relatively easy. Staying in is not. Having prior sales or phone work experience will help. Dress business casual for the interview. Come prepared with your resume, references, and proof of eligibility to be hired (i.e. driver's license & SSI card).

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions for this interview.   1 Answer

Assistant Director Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Fund for the Public Interest.

Interview

It was super easy. I think as long as you give a somewhat educated answer, they will offer you the position. They just want to hire people. However, take what they tell you about the job with a grain of salt. They aren't entirely honest about everything.

Canvass Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Fund for the Public Interest (New York, NY (US)) in October 2017.

Interview

They explained it was a door to door fund raiser, and since they work with small donations sometimes its required for you to travel and SHARE BEDS with other people on an hotel.

Director Fund Raising Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Fund for the Public Interest (Chicago, IL (US)) in August 2017.

Interview

On time, personalized and interesting. The interview was scheduled quickly and interviewer called on time. The interviewer was courteous. I received several emails notifying me of the interview time days before the interview. Overall it was well coordinated and scheduled.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to talk about my previous work experiences and how it relates to the current position I applied for. I was also asked about my passion for public interest issues and how my previous work experiences prepared me for the job role I applied for.   Answer Question

Telephone Outreach Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Fund for the Public Interest (Portland, OR (US)) in July 2017.

Interview

The interview process for this company is very strange. Once you fill out an interest card online, they will contact you almost immediately (I contacted the same day). I had a brief conversation regarding my interest in the company and an overview of that "The Fund" does and stands for.
    The first interview is basically an informational meeting, where the interviewer tells you about him/herself and what "The Fund" does. You will also fill out an application and receive documents to take home and fill out. These are tax forms and company policy forms. The first interview took only about 30 minutes.
    The second "interview" is a what they refer to as a working interview. It lasts roughly 4 hours. You will, again, here about what The Fund does and how it operates. Essentially, you get a crash-course in telemarketing and practice reading the script.
    Then, you spend roughly 30 minutes listening in to an experienced employee make phone calls using the system. You switch roles with the trainer, and the trainer listens in as you make calls of your own. Then, for the last hour/hour and fifteen minutes of the "interview," you make your own calls independently of your trainer.
    At the end of the interview, you are hired or rejected depending on whether you received any donations during your calling time.
    -------
    If you are considering interviewing, do not. The interview is not a test of any other measure besides whether you can get people to make donations. The behavior I witnessed by the other callers honestly surprised me, and it seems like getting donations is partly luck, partly extreme pushiness.