G-Research Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 14 Nov 2018

3.8

14 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at G-Research (New York, NY (US)) in November 2018.

Interview

Phone interview covering general programming knowledge and a hackerrank coding challenge.

Half day of on-sites with 3 interviews:
- Systems Design
- Programming Exercise
- Algorithms & Data Structures

Was not invited back for second round of on-sites, but overall very enjoyable interview process. Very pleasant and intelligent interviewers and a great recruiter who was very forthcoming with information about the company and guidance about the interview process. Thanks Max! Received very detailed interview feedback on where I did and didn't perform well.

Overall great experience. A company that treats candidates with respect.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for G-Research

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at G-Research (London, England) in July 2012.

Interview

Had to sign a confidentiality form so I won't get into much detail. Anyway, the interview involves no human interaction: the only words I exchanged with the interviewer were to answer the question "Java or C#?". Then, you are given some problems (I had 4) and you have a computer to code them up. They use Windows, and you have both Visual Studio and Eclipse at your disposal. They expect you to code up running code, and you have only 1h. Definitely a hard interview (I failed).

Interview Questions

• I can't get into detail on this one due to confidentiality, but basically I was asked to write a software that, given the appointments of n people and a period of time (say a long in ms), finds the soonest moment in which you can organize a meeting with all of them present which lasts that long. So it's about finding intersections, and in addition the whole appointments thing was a premade class from them, so they kind of expect you to build upon other people's code in very short time.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at G-Research (London, England) in March 2018.

Interview

First stage was a programming exercise that could be done at home - rather tricky, but very fun to work on.

This was followed by on-site interviews, which lasted ca. 4 hours with 3 interviews in total, each led by 2 people. These mostly focused on technical questions, testing both a broader understanding of programming principles, as well as some more in-depth questions. The questions were fair and well thought through; each solvable rather quickly in principle, but allowing for different approaches while leaving room to explain one's thought process behind whatever approach was taken; and presented in a way that would allow the interviewers to give certain tips to formulate a solution, rather than strict "do or do not know it"-questions).

Feedback after the interview was given within 3 working days.

All in all, a tough but very enjoyable experience - which is quite a rarity to say about any job interview.

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at G-Research (London, England) in April 2018.

Interview

Very challenging process, you really need to know your stuff.
    Every interviewer was obviously smart and easy to talk to.
    There is online part + multiple onsites potentially.

G-Research is an amazing company and their interview process is the toughest one I've ever had.
    I got an extremely good offer which I happily accepted.

Prepare for algorithms, data structures, system design and skill based questions. They expect you to generate production ready, clean and correct code.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at G-Research (London, England) in February 2018.

Interview

I had an initial phone screen, followed by a "homework" coding test and several face-to-face interviews. The interview process I felt was polished and straightforward, and the recruitment team were universally excellent in facilitating this. The interviews themselves I was more disappointed with, as I felt there was too heavy an emphasis on academic computer science knowledge rather than practical development skills.

Interview Questions

• Like everyone else, I had to sign an NDA and cannot discuss the questions asked.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at G-Research (London, England) in July 2017.

Interview

Online test, followed by 2 on site interview sessions each consisting of 3 interviews of an hour each.

The online test was easier than similar tests I have taken at other companies, but seemed pitched fairly well to weed out weak applicants without making it unreasonably hard.

The first day of interviews were all with members of the team I applied for, and all almost exclusively technical.

The second day was a mixture of technical interviews and more qualitative interviews with senior staff.

Generally a well organised process.

Interview Questions

• Signed an NDA, but most of it is the kind of stuff you can prepare for by practising on hacker rank.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at G-Research (London, England) in October 2017.

Interview

The interview process was tough, which was what I expected. You need to know your stuff! I was struck by how intelligent the people I met were during the interview process, and felt that I was given an adequate amount of feedback. Unfortunately I did not get an offer.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Very general questions across all aspects of technology from a variety of topics including context switching, TDD and networking. Live coding exercise as well. Very high bar, no offer

Interview Questions

• Explain the difference between TCP and UPD   1 Answer

G-Research Response

12 Mar 2018 – Recruitment

You will be reminded that you would have signed an NDA prohibiting you from sharing any confidential information, including details of test questions. We have the right to action the NDA, therefore... More

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at G-Research (London, England) in July 2017.

Interview

Online test, followed two on site interviews.

Each onsite interviews were a mixture of knowledge questions and pen and paper style interview question taken by members of the team, role was for. Passing this first stage of each interview, the later parts took the form of informal chats with members of management and show around the office.

Interview Questions

G-Research Response

19 Dec 2017 – Recruitment

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you had a positive experience, and we hope you enjoy your time working at G-Research!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at G-Research (London, England).

Interview

I cannot tell anything specific but it is like everywhere else. They did not ask anything specific or hard, the usual easier questions. However if you don't know any small details then most likely you would be rejected. I met with my most arrogant interviewer in my life, if they told me they were like that I would have never applied for them.

Interview Questions

• I cannot share it but don't think about rocket science   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.