Geonomics Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Interviews at Geonomics

3.5

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Geonomics (London, England) in November 2011.

Interview

There is just one really long(they said it can be up to 4 hours) interview with the company.

First stage were some young devs asking general questions about java/algorithms, plus some IQ questions.

Second stage was to implement the solution to the last question from the stage one. They give you 45minutes, empty room and a PC with Eclipse open. The problem isn't hard or complicated.

And finally an interview with senior devs(CTO and someone else, i think). They were asking things about the experience and background, some simple algorithmic problems etc. Those questions weren't that interesting.

After that(it took about 4 hours for me) after some short discussion they just said no. The reason wasn't very clear to me, but they've emphasized it wasn't technical. Something in line of "we want java developer, and you have very broad experience using all kind of stuff, so we think that after joining you'll try to change our technology set".

I think that they're just looking for a regular java coder. Very specific role. The person will code there for all day what he was told to code in that extremely rigid technology set they have. Not asking questions, not thinking about technologies and not going anywhere else. Nothing bad with that of course, but it's just not the Senior developer role i wanted.

Otherwise the office seems nice, people friendly and professional.

Interview Questions

• Code the algorithm which finds the shortest path from the root of the tree to any of its leafs.   Answer Question

Java Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Geonomics in April 2015.

Interview

Two developers (one with a hard accent) asking CS questions ranging from OO (polymorphism, inheritance composition), basic data structures, big O, concurrency. Each question had many subquestions so you better know in detail of what you are talking about, internal working process, pros and cons without hesitation.
    Even if you answer all their questions correctly they will most likely tell you they are well but not well enough for them. It's hard to say how they really choose people.. to me it seems they want a walking encyclopedia so you better have notes handy on each topic with good examples.

Interview Questions

• OO concepts, multi thread, data structures, java 8, how everything works, when to use one or another, give examples.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Geonomics in July 2014.

Interview

NOTE: This company was formerly called Roboreus (one interview listed on glassdoor).

Three stages of interview. The first was a telephone technical interview, lasting around 45 minutes. There was a problem solving task, questions regarding deadlock and livelock (dining philosophers) in concurrent programming, a question on "what is polymorphism", and questions regarding the use of linked lists vs array lists.

The second stage was a programming task. The problem was "Given a weighted triangle number tree from stdin, calculate the sum of the minimum path through the tree, and print out that path. Focus should be given to error handling and edge cases."

Finally, there was a final face-to-face interview. This involved writing some java code on a piece of paper (write a function to reverse an array in place, write a function that takes a positive integer and returns true if the binary representation of that number is a palindrome), and finding errors and bad style in some printed code. Finally there was a problem solving task (see below).

Interview Questions

• You have 17 red and 17 blue balls, and you remove 2 at a time. If the two are the same colour, add in one extra blue ball. If they are different colours, add in an extra red ball. What colour is the final ball removed?   13 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Geonomics in April 2015.

Interview

Technical phone interview with 2 employees. Both were very stiff, one was particularly hard to understand due to his accent. They gave me such a bad feeling about the company as a whole that I wouldn't accept the offer anyway. Their questions were very detailed, mostly related to pure Computer Science concepts. It was ridiculous when one of them asked me to imagine writing a class doing x, a method doing y and another class doing z etc. Waste of time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Geonomics (London, England) in September 2017.

Interview

A recruiter proposed me to the company. The company sends to me a java pretest and then they call me for a technical interview. The technical interview was about 45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• How do you think to implement a phone book if you can use only List? The implementation must support add/remove operations and then find by name operation. No concurrency/multithread is needed. Costs of all operations.   Answer Question

Graduate Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Geonomics in April 2016.

Interview

A phone interview with 2 people lasting about 30 mins. They asked me loads of encyclopedia type questions, which I could Google if I really wanted to. They can go quite in-depth and it seems that you fail if you make 1 mistake. One of the interviewers has a very difficult to understand accent and seems to be offended if you ask him to repeat what he said. Ironically, the guy who is easier to understand has scarcely said a word...
    Overall, the interview was quite standard, but I was surprised that there were no coding questions.

The most disappointing part was that they promised to get back to me on the same day but they haven't got back to me at all.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Geonomics (London, England) in January 2016.

Interview

Just a telephone interview with two people. One of them had a very thick accent and I had to ask him to repeat his sentences often, which seemed to annoy them.
    The whole interview was just a dry list of computer science questions. Describe inheritance. Describe what a linked list looks like in memory. What's the difference between linked and array lists. There was no practical questions or questions about experience. I got one of them wrong and was rejected. Seems like they're interviewing to hire a wikipedia page, not an actual human being. If you're really good at memorising facts you'll ace this, I suppose.

Interview Questions

• Describe the different between reference by value and reference by variable   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Interview

Was a phone interview that took around an hour, lots of technical data analysis/web analysis questions long with around fifteen minutes on standard questions e.g. “what do you know about the company”

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Geonomics (London, England).

Interview

Process took 1 week, had 1 phone interview with two guys on the other end. I got a good answer to the question, but was told i was not enthusiastic/ did not know enough about the company, so i would strongly suggest reading a lot about them i.e not just what is on their website.

Interview Questions

• Estimate how many hairdressers there are in london   1 Answer

CRM Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Geonomics (London, England).

Interview

Initial phone interview followed by a face-to-face meeting at their offices. Very pleasant but at the same time intense conversation during the second interview - I literally left after an hour and a half with my cheeks burning. Both interviews made me want to work with the people I met.

Interview Questions

• What is your approach to testing, how do you go about it and what do you test? (not word for word but you get the gist)   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.