Goldman Sachs Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 6 Sep 2018

3.1

134 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

They fly you to New York for an all day interview. You are interviewed with 2 or 3 teams depending on your resume. They have two offices across the bay from each other and you have to ride the provided yacht if you have interview on the other building, it was an unique experience. The interview questions are easy if you know your data structures, sorting algorithm well. There are no hard algorithm questions like graph search for the specific panel I was interviewed. They also ask you the difference between abstract class vs interface, and inheritance what not.

Interview Questions

• Basic data structures, algorithms and brain teasers. They also ask you about your project.   Answer Question

I didn't feel it was a good place for new grad to work at. As a new grad you want to be in a place were you learn a lot. This is not to say that Goldman Sachs is not good place to work at, its just that I feel that I will be limited to specific corporate technology that will probably not have a positive impact to my foundation of becoming a good software engineer. On a side note, after the interview, I trust that the people there are extremely intelligent and friendly, you will also learn a lot other skills that is related to financial and banking

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Two rounds: one on campus consisting of two back to back 30 minute interviews and one on site consisting of two back to back 30 minute interviews. For each round, the first 30 minute interview was behavioral + technical and the second was purely technical

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

I gave my resume at a career fair. Received a call for an on campus interview. The interview was quite simple and required basic data structures questions. Asked some java questions.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Was put in touch with Goldman via a Recruiting agency for two positions.

Each had 2 technical phone screens with me after which they decided to fly me out.

Onsite I interviewed with 2 different teams for a total of 10 interviews. Long day!

Interview Questions

• They were mostly standard tech interview questions. I definitely didn't get all of them. Implement rand7 with rand5. Give me a level by level output of a binary tree. Implement a stack with two queues, etc.   Answer Question

I figured out I don't want to work at a bank. I want to build actual products. Better pay and perks at most other places as well.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Applied online, the next week get a phone from HR. And then got a phone screen followed by an on-site, were suggested to go to different floor based on different team, I would say people there were very nice, the whole interview was very resume based, so make sure you fully know about your resume very well, some were technical and some are behavioral questions

Interview Questions

• Given an integer, return all sequences of numbers that sum to it. (Example: 3 -> (1, 2), (2, 1), (1, 1, 1)).   3 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

C# Multi threading
    Boxing
    Some GC question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ (US)) in September 2009.

Interview

Three very friendly interviewer asked questions about projects and technology.
    Some of the questions:
    - Given hour and minute, write a function to calculate an angle between hour/minute hand.
    - How to reverse linked list
    - How would you design instant messaging software.

Interview Questions

• Find depth of the binary tree?
      How would you insert an element in sorted array   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT (US)) in October 2009.

Interview

My phone interview was brutal -- asked me lots of technical questions about everything on my resume. I wasted time before the in person interviews studying up on intricacies on java: runtime complexity, obscure data structures, and all of the classical "trick" programming questions... which turned out to be a waste. The skills test convered Java, Perl, SQL and Unix, but was ridiculously simple. There were no trick questions, just the basics of each topic. The interviews were standard interview questions, followed by lots of proselytizing about the "culture" of GS.

Interview Questions

• Write a method to calculate the cubic root of a number to 3 decimal places.   Answer Question

The pay didn't seem worth the amount of stress. Everyone kept telling me how "intense" it was to work there and repeatedly asking if I was willing to work lots of late nights and weekends. For such an "intense" environment, the pay sucked. They tried to offset that by promising ambiguous bonuses, but how can you trust something that's not quantified?

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY (US)) in December 2009.

Interview

Was contacted on LinkedIn to fill position in software development group focused on trade optimization strategies. Extremely high skillset in group, very "algorithmically literate" with a focus on functional programming, mathematics, highly parallel computation.

The compensation plan for developers is similar to that of traders: a small base (by New York standards), with a very significant variable bonus.

Interview Questions

• Describe the basics of the lambda calculus and type theory underlying languages such as Lisp and Haskell.   1 Answer
    • Write a program which performs Newton's Method to approximate the root of an arbitrary function.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ (US)) in June 2010.

Interview

You are expected to have solid programming and database knowledge. They test you most on your logical thinking skills. I also had a few algorithm questions and was asked to write pseudo-code for the same. Overall, it was a difficult but fruitful experience.

Interview Questions

• algorithm to traverse binary tree   2 Answers

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.