Google Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

11,089 Interview Reviews

3.3

1. Helpful (1949)

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA (US)) in April 2014.

Interview

Direct onsite because I interviewed in the past and did well that time. From the time I sent my resume to interview day: 2 weeks. From interview day to offer over the phone: 2 weeks.

The syllabus for the interviews is very clear and simple:
    1) Dynamic Programming
    2) Super recursion (permutation, combination,...2^n, m^n, n!...etc. type of program. (NP hard, NP programs)
    3) Probability related programs
    4) Graphs: BFS/DFS are usually enough
    5) All basic data structures from Arrays/Lists to circular queues, BSTs, Hash tables, B-Trees, and Red-Black trees, and all basic algorithms like sorting, binary search, median,...
    6) Problem solving ability at a level similar to TopCoder Division 1, 250 points. If you can consistently solve these, then you are almost sure to get in with 2-weeks brush up.
    7) Review all old interview questions in Glassdoor to get a feel. If you can solve 95% of them at home (including coding them up quickly and testing them out in a debugger + editor setup), you are in good shape.
    8) Practice coding--write often and write a lot. If you can think of a solution, you should be able to code it easily...without much thought.
    9) Very good to have for design interview: distributed systems knowledge and practical experience.
    10) Good understanding of basic discrete math, computer architecture, basic math.
    11) Coursera courses and assignments give a lot of what you need to know.
    12) Note that all the above except the first 2 are useful in "real life" programming too!

Interview 1:
    Graph related question and super recursion

Interview 2:
    Design discussion involving a distributed system with writes/reads going on at different sites in parallel.

Interview 3:
    Array and Tree related questions

Interview 4:
    Designing a simple class to do something. Not hard, but not easy either. You need to know basic data structures very well to consider different designs and trade-offs.

Interview 5:
    Dynamic programming,
    Computer architecture and low level perf. enhancement question which requires knowledge of Trees, binary search, etc.

At the end, I wasn't tired and rather enjoyed the discussions. I think the key was long term preparation and time spent doing topcoder for several years (on and off as I enjoy solving the problems).

Conclusion: "It's not the best who win the race; it's the best prepared who win it."

Negotiation

You can and should negotiate politely. You are in a stronger position if you have another offer, but even otherwise, you should ask for more of every type of payment!

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google in April 2015.

Interview

Phone interview:
    The Interviewer was late for 20 mins... Ask nothing on my resume.
    Tow questions:
    1) A string consists of ‘0’, ‘1’ and '?'. The question mark can be either '0' or '1'. Find all possible combinations for a string.
    2) Give you a text file, remove duplicated lines.
        Follow up: If the file is very large, general hash map takes too much spaces, come up with a better solution.

Sales Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Clowns in a circus. After phone interview- great news you are going to next steps because you are a fit. Then hi I am scheduling your next interview with the team. Then hi sorry team doesn’t want to interview- you are not a fit.

Interview Questions

• Describe your current/past role.   1 Answer

Solutions Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO (US)

Application

The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Google (Boulder, CO (US)).

Interview

The actual interview process was actually pretty good. I was referred and quickly received a interview with a recruiter. I had a phone screen with another employee and then was invited on-site for three back to back interviews. This all happened within about a month with about a week between correspondence with the recruiter on next steps.

I had the on-site and then was told that I passed and had a good phone screen with a manger. My understanding was that I was close to an offer (discussed salary expectations, start date, background check, etc).

However, this is where things went South. I was told I'd hear by a certain date and didn't. I had to follow-up multiple times with recruiting (they didn't proactively reach out to me). A month after I expected to hear, I eventually gave them an ultimatum: (you have to let me know if you have an offer for me otherwise I'm accepting this other job.) After all this, they said they were not interested in moving forward and provided no reason! They didn't say if it was due to budget in the role I was in, because I gave them an ultimatum, or if it was something on my background check.

I don't think I've ever felt as disrespected in an interview process as I did throughout the later half of this Google interview. It left an awful taste in my mouth and anyone who I talked to about the interview process. Sadly, I felt like I lost respect for a company I used to have a lot of respect for. Happy I didn't end up moving forward with Google as I found a role I'm very satisfied with.

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Very lengthy process. Took me 7 months and many interviews until I received an offer. Everyone I interviewed with was so nice though and made the experience better than many interviews I've had in the past.

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA (US)).

Interview

The process was overall very pleasant. Had five rounds of interviews covering statistical coding, probability and statistical inference, product interpretation, time series modeling and behavior questions. Each of the interviews is 45 minutes and there is lunch time in their cafeteria.

Interview Questions

• How do you sort priorities when engaged in multitasking.   Answer Question

Web Solutions Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

1- Telephone interview with recruiter about resume and the position.
    2- Technical hangout interview ( one coding interview)
    3 - Onsite interview ( 1- system design 2 -coding 3- behavioral)
    So this job title was confusing for me to prepare. however it came out to be like SWE interview. However maybe it would be different for others and have linux and OS questions too.

HR Generalist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Great. Very difficult in the beginning because of all the panel judges looking at you. I was nervous but then they transition into being friendly. Great interview overall. Not at the very least too hard but still worth a shot.

Compensation Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

The process so far has taken close to five months - at this point I assume the role is no longer open (or was ever open). First recruiter (R1) was great, she took my application and saw a fit for an alternative role and passed me through to a new recruiter (R2). R2 provided me with an Excel based test and project via e-mail. The project mainly included fixing/building out a compensation calculator and providing analysis based on several questions; took several hours to fully complete. I was informed I successfully completed the test, however, the hiring team were busy with year-end processes. I followed-up on a bi-weekly basis and after receiving few responses, I did some investigating and R2 was no longer with the company. I reached out to R1 for advice who kindly put me in contact with a new recruiter (R3). R3 asked me to re-send my project, to which I was told I had passed (again), and then she explained the hiring team were waiting on budget considerations. At least another month or so went by with me being put in a holding position and at this point I have decided to not follow-up further. It seems disrespectful and a bad candidate experience to never have the opportunity to speak to anyone (even over the phone) about the role despite having me spend several hours diligently successfully complete a project test.

Interview Questions

• Never had the opportunity to answer any as I was put in the aforementioned holding pattern.   1 Answer

TSE Interview

Interview

This is the First-round Phone Interview, I get good feedback. And the recruiter very nice, tell me how to prepare this interview. There are mainly focus on troubleshooting, CS fundamental, Networking, data structure andSQL

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.