Google Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

11,304 Interview Reviews

3.3

1. Helpful (2038)

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA (US)) in April 2014.

Interview

Direct onsite because I interviewed in the past and did well that time. From the time I sent my resume to interview day: 2 weeks. From interview day to offer over the phone: 2 weeks.

The syllabus for the interviews is very clear and simple:
    1) Dynamic Programming
    2) Super recursion (permutation, combination,...2^n, m^n, n!...etc. type of program. (NP hard, NP programs)
    3) Probability related programs
    4) Graphs: BFS/DFS are usually enough
    5) All basic data structures from Arrays/Lists to circular queues, BSTs, Hash tables, B-Trees, and Red-Black trees, and all basic algorithms like sorting, binary search, median,...
    6) Problem solving ability at a level similar to TopCoder Division 1, 250 points. If you can consistently solve these, then you are almost sure to get in with 2-weeks brush up.
    7) Review all old interview questions in Glassdoor to get a feel. If you can solve 95% of them at home (including coding them up quickly and testing them out in a debugger + editor setup), you are in good shape.
    8) Practice coding--write often and write a lot. If you can think of a solution, you should be able to code it easily...without much thought.
    9) Very good to have for design interview: distributed systems knowledge and practical experience.
    10) Good understanding of basic discrete math, computer architecture, basic math.
    11) Coursera courses and assignments give a lot of what you need to know.
    12) Note that all the above except the first 2 are useful in "real life" programming too!

Interview 1:
    Graph related question and super recursion

Interview 2:
    Design discussion involving a distributed system with writes/reads going on at different sites in parallel.

Interview 3:
    Array and Tree related questions

Interview 4:
    Designing a simple class to do something. Not hard, but not easy either. You need to know basic data structures very well to consider different designs and trade-offs.

Interview 5:
    Dynamic programming,
    Computer architecture and low level perf. enhancement question which requires knowledge of Trees, binary search, etc.

At the end, I wasn't tired and rather enjoyed the discussions. I think the key was long term preparation and time spent doing topcoder for several years (on and off as I enjoy solving the problems).

Conclusion: "It's not the best who win the race; it's the best prepared who win it."

Negotiation

You can and should negotiate politely. You are in a stronger position if you have another offer, but even otherwise, you should ask for more of every type of payment!

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google in April 2015.

Interview

Phone interview:
    The Interviewer was late for 20 mins... Ask nothing on my resume.
    Tow questions:
    1) A string consists of ‘0’, ‘1’ and '?'. The question mark can be either '0' or '1'. Find all possible combinations for a string.
    2) Give you a text file, remove duplicated lines.
        Follow up: If the file is very large, general hash map takes too much spaces, come up with a better solution.

Technical Solutions Consultant Interview

Interview

It was a virtual interview with an engineer in New York. He first asked questions about Linux, HTTP, SQL and networking. Then we proceeded to a Python coding session where I wrote code in a blank Google doc.

Interview Questions

• Python coding interview asking to extract IP addresses from a log file and sort them by occurrences   1 Answer

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA (US)).

Interview

Recruiter screen. Then interview with the hiring manager, finally onsite interview with business partners and team. All interviews were case study based to solve a problem with the exception of the recruiter screen.

Interaction Designer Interview

Interview

Resume and portfolio review; Chat with a recruiter; Phone interview with a designer; Design exercise; Hiring team reviews design exercise and portfolio; Onsite interviews; Hiring team reviews onsite interview feedback, exercise, and portfolio; Recruiter creates offer; Final Approvals.

Tech Solutions Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

First round was HR screening. Second Round consists of a tech interview for one hour. Third round has another tech+behavioral interview. There is a lot of flexibility and recruiters are very helpful. The guidance that they provide on the interview processes was so helpful. This is the only company that never asked for any visa related details.

Interview Questions

• 1-One coding question (simple)
      2-web service and cookies based question
      3- troubleshooting/problem-solving on web related issues   Answer Question

Growth Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

The recruiter I worked with was great! She was communicative and helpful in preparing me for each interview. The interviews were standard Google questions that were pretty grueling. For the last round, I did a presentation that took 25+ hours to put together
    and got no feedback.

Data Collection Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Completely technical. All questions about fingerprints. Very unexpected because there were no behavioral questions and only 1 round of interviewing before a decision was made. 2 Engineers interviewed me for low-level role.

Interview Questions

• What's the distance between one ridge of your fingerpad to another?   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

Interview

I applied online, had to write answers to essay questions, then had two 45 minute phone interviews. I had a coding challenge and personality test. Pretty typical coding interview overall.

Interview Questions

• Given a string A consisting of n characters and a string B consisting of m characters, write a function that will return the number of times A must be stated such that B is a substring of the repeated A. If B can never be a substring, return -1.   Answer Question

STEP Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

After submitting the application online, I got scheduled 2 back to back phone technical interviews. Each one is 45 min long, with 15 min break in between. They both start with an easy question and a follow up afterwards, as well as questions about runtime and efficiency.

Interview Questions

• leet code easy question, I don't remember what exactly it is now. One of the two interviews asked a question from the first 20 leet code question list.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.