Google Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Interviews at Google

3,329 Interview Reviews

3.4

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Houston, TX (US)) in January 2019.

Interview

The hiring and interview process was extensive. Days waiting answer for emails I have sent. I was only able to take a "test" to prove my skills only in English. Everyone who message with me was very nice. In the future I will try again to apply.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to complete a lot of surveys, one phone call interview, and a "test" of my skills.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Recruiter got in touch via campus recruiting. There was an online coding test with 2 problems, then there was a phone screen. Got to the onsite interview - if you're an university student, sign up for the hour-long interview prep session that Google holds, it's pretty helpful and helps if you're feeling stressed about prepping.

Interview Questions

• The questions were like LeetCode Medium, there were a few graph based problems. Know and understand some dynamic programming.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

1 recruiter screen
    1 phone screen
    4 Onsite coding questions
    1 Onsite systems design question

The onsite interviews were back to back so it was pretty brutal. On the bright side, they bring you out for lunch.

Interview Questions

• Can't remember. Something about swapping tree nodes.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Online coding challenge, one phone interview, then 4 onsite interviews. Had a weird issue at the beginning where the initial recruiter email was lost after the coding challenge, but luckily the recruiter resent the email and I was able to setup a phone interview.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google (Sunnyvale, CA (US)).

Interview

Recent Ph.D. graduate, and a recruiter contacted me via email just before graduation. Surprising because I have no internship experiences at Google. There are several platform teams interested in me. Scheduled interviews ASAP. Skipped phone interviews and required 5 on-site interviews: 3 coding questions, 1 system design question, and 1 personality interview. In general, you would be notified what you are expect to study.

Coding questions were in the range of my expectation. I chose Python to reduce coding time in interview because its code would be very similar to pseudocode in algorithm textbooks. What you need to is: 1) come up with a high-level algorithm, and 2) implement it. To prepare for it, my suggestion is: 1) read an algorithm book and get familiar with strategies to solve problems (e.g. divide-and-conquer, graph algorithm, dynamic programming, etc), and 2) practice writing an high-level idea with your own language. It seems It's also important to write completely working code there. Typically, you're given a simple example, and run with it for debugging. Also, it will be helpful to practice run your own implementation with small examples, which I didn't do before the interviews.

I was assigned a wrong field for system design questions, so I barely answered what interviewers expect. Still, I'm told it would be fine because he understood it wasn't my field. In the last interview, I was asked experience with collaborations, which graduate students are often lack of.

I've just finished interviews, and didn't get the results back.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (San Francisco, CA (US)) in April 2019.

Interview

Applied online and received a call to schedule the telephone interview with an engineer. The engineer was patient and nice, however the question is somehow difficult to get the whole point of it and a little unclear.

Interview Questions

• In a message system, sort out the top K frequently used words by users   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter a few months before I was set to graduate from university.

First there was a non-technical phone screen where I was asked about my interests and future career plans. The next step was to a complete an online coding challenge. After this, I had a technical phone interview with an engineer. They asked me a hard problem that I wasn't able to figure out in 45 minutes.

Had I passed that stage, the next and final step would be an onsite interview. My feeling is that there is some element of luck involved in the technical phone screen. Based on the questions I've seen given to other interviewees, there's quite a bit of variance in the difficulty of questions asked.

Interview Questions

• I'd rather not give out the exact details, but my phone interview problem was a tricky problem involving an array representation of a data structure.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me via email and process from them was smooth. Immediately after expressing my interest in Google, recruiter scheduled a phone call to chat about my interests and some personal information. Next phone interview was scheduled.

Interview Questions

• Given a stream of characters and a keyword, print the keyword if the stream has contiguous character sequence matching the word keyword.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY (US)) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview went very poorly from the beginning. They didn't like me there, I could feel it. The receptionist looked at me funny, like she knew I didn't belong there. I couldn't take her sniggering, so I left

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA (US)) in January 2019.

Interview

Got contact by recuriter from career fair, OA and 1 round of phone interview are fairly easy. 4 round on-site interview, 2 of them are easy and other are difficult.

Interview Questions

• Graph type algorithm question. Quite hard and didn’t see it on leekcode before   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.