Google Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Interviews at Google

3,365 Interview Reviews

3.4

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA (US)) in April 2014.

Interview

Direct onsite because I interviewed in the past and did well that time. From the time I sent my resume to interview day: 2 weeks. From interview day to offer over the phone: 2 weeks.

The syllabus for the interviews is very clear and simple:
1) Dynamic Programming
2) Super recursion (permutation, combination,...2^n, m^n, n!...etc. type of program. (NP hard, NP programs)
3) Probability related programs
4) Graphs: BFS/DFS are usually enough
5) All basic data structures from Arrays/Lists to circular queues, BSTs, Hash tables, B-Trees, and Red-Black trees, and all basic algorithms like sorting, binary search, median,...
6) Problem solving ability at a level similar to TopCoder Division 1, 250 points. If you can consistently solve these, then you are almost sure to get in with 2-weeks brush up.
7) Review all old interview questions in Glassdoor to get a feel. If you can solve 95% of them at home (including coding them up quickly and testing them out in a debugger + editor setup), you are in good shape.
8) Practice coding--write often and write a lot. If you can think of a solution, you should be able to code it easily...without much thought.
9) Very good to have for design interview: distributed systems knowledge and practical experience.
10) Good understanding of basic discrete math, computer architecture, basic math.
11) Coursera courses and assignments give a lot of what you need to know.
12) Note that all the above except the first 2 are useful in "real life" programming too!

Interview 1:
Graph related question and super recursion

Interview 2:
Design discussion involving a distributed system with writes/reads going on at different sites in parallel.

Interview 3:
Array and Tree related questions

Interview 4:
Designing a simple class to do something. Not hard, but not easy either. You need to know basic data structures very well to consider different designs and trade-offs.

Interview 5:
Dynamic programming,
Computer architecture and low level perf. enhancement question which requires knowledge of Trees, binary search, etc.

At the end, I wasn't tired and rather enjoyed the discussions. I think the key was long term preparation and time spent doing topcoder for several years (on and off as I enjoy solving the problems).

Conclusion: "It's not the best who win the race; it's the best prepared who win it."

Negotiation

You can and should negotiate politely. You are in a stronger position if you have another offer, but even otherwise, you should ask for more of every type of payment!

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

First I got an email from the recruiter requesting I complete additional information. Then the first round was a coding interview. The interview was comprised of two questions the first was more like leetcode easy and the second was leetcode medium. The second round I got to two questions from two SWEs both were difficult though couldn't come up with a working solution within the timeframe.

Interview Questions

• The first was about how to efficiently distribute task to computers on a cluster so that all tasks complete in the shortest time. You are given the difficulty value of each task and also the computation powers of each computer in the cluster.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

It was thorough but fair. It had a lot of questions on coding but also equal amounts about team management. The interviewer was friendly and did not try to overwhelm

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (San Francisco, CA (US)).

Interview

I had an on-site interview at Google. There were 4 rounds excluding a casual lunch interview that was not scored. Each round consisted of 45 minutes of coding and 5 minutes of QA.

Interview Questions

• Some breath first search problem   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

You will first receive an online assessment and if you pass it, you will have a phone screen interview. After you pass the phone screen, you need to go to an onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• Giving you an array, you need to find the subarray which the sum is maximum   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Standard - technical screening with a hiring manager followed by a technical phone interview consisting of a coding question. Completely botched the technical phone interview, so I didn't make it to the on-site round.

Interview Questions

• Nothing out of the ordinary   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Was interviewing for conversion from internship. Did well in interviews, but the recruiter constantly avoided me. Recruiter was unresponsive for several weeks after which I heard back from several other companies. Recruiter made the experience very poor. Interviews themselves were fine, enjoyed talking with the engineers.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

i was referred and phone interview was skipped. The recruiter called me and onsite was scheduled in 3 weeks. The onsite was 4 rounds technical and 1 round BQ.

Interview Questions

• medium leetcode questions with some followup on basic cs knowledge   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

One pre-screen with a technical recruiter, one technical phone screen with an engineer, and one onsite interview with 5 45 minute sessions focused on SDLC, operating systems, troubleshooting, coding and algorithms.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

This is a phone screen interview for new-grad 2020. We discussed this position and the interviewer gave me some inside information about what he is doing. Then we started the coding interview. He explained all the details that I asked and he was patient during the process

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.